Mormon Bronies 108 members · 233 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

I have a question that I've been struggling with for a little while now. To give a little history of said question I have been (for all intensive purposes) away from the church for quite some time, but I'm now working to get back to where I once was. While away I found the ponies and slowly started my journey back to the church. Now that I'm close to my goal, I'm analizing my own self and asking the question, "How can I be a Brony and a member of the church?"

It might seem like it has a straight forward answer, as both the show and the church share a lot of the core priniples of being a good, honest, trust worthy, and charitable person, but I've submerged myself into brony culture. Both the good, and the bad. While leaving a lot of that stuff behind I'm finding I'm wanting to submerge myself in the same way in the church and it's doctrine. But as I do so, I find some things about being a brony that just doesn't mix. I mean, there's a lot of the nsfw stuff that I am currently working on shutting out, but the community as a whole...It's sad to say, it's not all that uplifting when you're trying to live the gospel standards. A lot of the LGBTQ+ mentality are pressed forward. I mean, how many stories are about the mane six being shipped with each other, and that's not even all the fan art that's out there, and discussion boards, and this and that and the other.

So, with all that stuff, how do I keep loving the pones I want, while keeping the gospel standards? How do I not yield to what I know in my heart is true, while surrounded by others who are flouting things that I'm against? Even more, how do I stay strong while others are allowed to say whatever they want to, but the moment I utter anything about my own personal opinions about things, I get attack (or have the fear of being attacked. It's happened a time or two, but now I just keep my mouth shut)?

I'm trying to be good, but I'm finding that the things I want, and the things I like have a few things that don't mix. What do you all think? (Been a brony for 2.5 years, out of the church for 5.5 years, and a member most of my life)

I can understand where you're coming from. I'm an active member and have enjoyed being a Brony ever since my cousin introduced me to the show. I'm not sure entirely what the best advice to give would be though. When it comes to some of the stuff like the LGBTQ and all that I still don't know how to deal with it. I often find myself just pretending that it's not there or isn't happening. Some of that is because when I sit down and think about it, that mentality just baffles me. I find that most nonmembers are just as baffled by my lifestyle. When I tell my coworkers about the Word of Wisdom or the Law of Chastity they shake their heads and say they wouldn't be able to handle it.

The best way to find answers in my opinion is through fervent scripture study and prayers. Tell Heavenly Father about your struggles and try to follow his promptings. You can also ask a Melchizedek Priesthood holder for a blessing of comfort and counsel. I hope this helps.

Yeah, this is rather unfortunate that the LGBTQ lifestyle has been pressed onto focus tenfold rather than a person's trait. Personally I am getting sick of it.
Remember, sexual attraction (or orientations) doesn't equal love.

It does. I think what I also need to do, is start following the different members of this group. People who actually have standards, and live by them.

But I know exactly what you mean about others not knowing how we could live our standards. I'm actually having to get rid of my discord account because it's more of a temper Tatian than anything good for me.

As for all the stuff about the LGBT community, I'm kind of in a strange spot with myself as I identify as bisexual. I have read an ensign article , Can't remember who wrote it, that talked about how having those feelings isn't bad. It's acting on them that is bad. We are all here to go through mortality with our own unique trials, and for some people that is one of their trials. I think for myself, it is a trial of abstaining from certain behaviors. Even more so, I have word of truth that it really is a choice in how we act, but that community does not see that, nor would they accept that.

But I think that you have a good way of dealing with it, just ignore it and pretend it's not there. How do you deal with shipping stories? Either writing your own, or reading once the others have written. It seems like there are not a whole lot of straight ships.

yup. And just because you love someone doesn't mean you have sex with them, unlike just about every other romance story on this site.

To me the line is at NSFW material, which thankfully is easy enough to filter out on almost every MLP-related website. For the other, more subtle stuff, I'm reminded of a quote from an old LDS novel:

“There are only two forces at work in this world: black and white. Only people are grey.”

People in this case includes bronies and ponies. We're all grey, and there's a huge spectrum of us with incredibly varied views and vices. We all have our own truth which may or may not fully align with the pure extremes of good and evil. Now this is just me, but I feel like accepting something exists (and even in some cases seeking to understand it) is not the same as agreeing with or condoning it.

(Note that this extends to more than just LGBT issues.)

As a Christian, it's my duty to love my neighbor. As a writer it's my duty to tell honest stories. In turn, as a reader I feel it's also my duty, within reason, to respect when other writers are also telling an honest story. Sometimes those stories (mine included) include things I personally disagree with or believe are sinful.

This takes a lot of maturity. It's a hard line to walk. If you feel that you can't walk it, if brony subculture makes it harder for you to live the gospel, then there's no shame in stepping away. To a Mormon, the gospel of Christ should be by far the more important thing, and you can enjoy the squeaky-clean show without being immersed in the fanbase if you find it bothersome. Getting a little perspective is always good, and much easier from a distance. Perhaps with that distance, if you desire, you'll be able to find that nuance which will help you come closer to the wonderful people who make up the fandom, flawed as we all might be.

Sidebar, Chris Heimerdinger said a lot of good stuff in his books.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6