SlipperPutty and co. fanfic reviews. 13 members · 27 stories
Comments ( 27 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 27
Wargame
Group Admin

So I was wondering, are we ever going to try expanding our little operation here? I'm not saying get more reviewers or anything, we're pretty set in that department with the 4 of us. I was thinking though if we could get someone who could do quick animations, I remember there was a post on EQD awhile back about a site where people make animations on Nintendo DSi's. Or just someone who does pmv's and could help us do quick cut-away jokes. Or maybe just something else entirely to try and expand on what we have? The idea was just floating around in my head so take it as you will.

SlipperPutty
Group Admin

808923 Expansion is a good thing in general. Looking at your ideas, I think I could find someone easily enough who has the PMV editing skills. In fact, I've talked with WIL_I_ZIN, and he knows how to use Adobe Premier/Flash, so I could ask him if he'd be able to do that. Of course, animations would take some extra notification in advance, but it would be worth it. I honestly know nothing about the DSi animations, so if you want to look into that, you're more than welcome to do so.

If we're talking other ways of expansion (just within ourselves), I think it would be cool if we initiated some "one-shot" videos. I really feel bad that you, Primus, and Opal aren't getting to do much besides comment on the stories. I think it'd be cool if we each had our own series where we just chose a random story and read it for the first time with one video take. It would be a chance for viewers to see our first reactions to the story. I thought about having each of us choose a specific genre, but it would also work if we all just picked stories from multiple genres. Again, I don't know what you think of this, but let me know if it's even possible for you.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

808943 808923 Very good Ideas, the both of you. I'm actually taking a digital arts class in 2 weeks, so around that time I'll be familiarizing myself with the aspects of short and simple video effect animations. So, in time, I'll be able to help around that department.

Regarding the little animations, Yeah, that seems pretty cool, I'd take a licking, but we don't want to sound desperate around that. Even little animations can be a hassle, especially when alot is going on.

Regarding the Involvement of the crew, I, too, actually thought about that, but we need to be a little bigger in order to do that, again, and like stated previously, we'd be doing quite a bit of work, only to get a sprinkle of views across our sectors. Yes, we could indeed pick from multiple little segmented genres, along with any other type of fic, aswell specialize in our own specific genre, but, again, we need to have some more input and feedback from others, in order for us to feel like we're not wasting our time, which we're not, but just that we're getting little to no results.

Regarding me, I've never recorded myself, but when i'm over skype talking with some buddies, me camera is extremely laggy and of the utmost 1930s like quality, and although my computer is actually pretty good in every other aspect, It just can't seem to record at a reasonable quality. I do, on the other hand, have a camcorder of good quality, so I could just do that, but it requires quite a bit of film, which could be problematic if it starts to run out. I'll see what I can do with my computer camera, and other complicities around that area. But overall, I do like your idea, Slipper, Involvement with us does seem like it would attract more viewers, as they are getting a wider range of reactions, but if, and only if, we take the time and effort; overtime, we will grow big, it's just a matter of do we want to take the time, which I do, and hope Primus and War do aswell.:moustache:

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

808923>>808943>>812698
Ahem, so... I love the idea of animations and more cutaways, running gags and just a few more general quirks but unfortunately I ain't your guy for that, animation is way beyond me.

Involvement of the crew, I have a couple of ideas that you could judge for yourself, like maybe introduce some readings on top of reviews. This way we could maybe shorten the regular reviews a little bit? (the first review was a good time imo, while the more recent ones are getting closer towards the 'I might not have time now, maybe I'll watch it later' mark. That's just me I don't know what you think?) On the other hand, when we review really short stories, maybe ones under 2 or 3k, we can throw in a reading of it too where we each have different parts to voiceover? Another possible idea of mine is that a bit further down the line we could 'swap' our own fics and review them? Of course, that's only if you're cool with it, plus I don't actually know if you guys write at all?

Looking at video recording, you can probably guess by the 'Twelve' review that it's probably best I stay off camera, which I am fine with. Video recording just was not something that came naturally and I'm less than happy with the results it yielded.

Thoughts?

OpalBerries
Group Admin

812830 Edit: Okay, I'm back, now, as I was saying, I don't really think we should review on of our own fics, it might be a little biased, and couple possible hurt our feelings; it's best we don't even look that direction.

Regarding the video length, Well, I actually hate to agree with you there, the video length does seem a little intimidating, but it is a review of a story. Slipper might have to deviate some stuff with that, not sure if he can put in all our opinions and regarding, along with his own, into a mixture of about 5-7 mins, so, overall, the video length seems logical, or fit for what slipper inputs.

Regarding voice overs, you might have to elaborate on that, not too sure what you mean.

Wargame
Group Admin

808943>>813051>>812830 The only idea I can come up with is just a quick video about a fanfic drinking game. There would just need to be a definite set of rules and someone would need to edit the video for me because I can't do that myself at the moment.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

813680 812830 808943 I'm not much of a drinker, not sure about anyone else, but you may be the only one working that dept., which could be pretty bad.

An idea of my own was to open a suggestion box. Mainly because pretty much every other review/any other group has a suggestion box that people throw a fic in for review and/or editing of some sort. This may be good b/c that way slipper won't have to hand pic the fics, unless he wants to, but with a box, we'll probably get a wider variety of genres, which is also good b/c we'll be able to put our own knowledge to the topics and genres. And that brings me to my next topic, The genres.

Which Genre is everyone willing to do? What do YOU prefer to review, and what TYPES of genres do YOU SPECIALIZE in? Don't be that guy who'll say "I'll review whatever, I don't have a specific genre." Come on, no one likes the indecisive guy who doesn't even know what he prefers to do. And, through our combined specifications, we'll be able to deviate who gets to do what, or who is the more qualified to do that type of Genre.

I'll go first. My main specifications are: Slice of Life, Sad, Tragedy, and more or less alternate universe (I'll have to see what type of alternations they're going for). The overall demographic is pretty much based on what the author puts, if it's a teen demographic that involves a Gore or, a rather Erotic theme, on top of a Slice of Life fic, i'll be able to fixate my expectations and understands to that certain demographic. Sad, Tragedy and Alternate Universe can go to any demographic, so i'll have to base those off of a general sad, tragic and alternate theme. I'm not going to ask why should whomever be the higher qualified to do a certain type of genre, that's just a load of crap no one really wants to do, unless you all prefer to do it that way, but you'll have to give pretty good reasons for such, and you can't base your qualifications off of a fic you wrote, that really doesn't prove anything.

God damn I write alot. So this is what I have to say and stuff, and on top of my little idea, tell me what you all think, along with the genres you all prefer, unless you don't want to do that, which is totally fine.

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

813680>>813749
A drinking game has piqued my curiosity, what kind of rules are we talking here?

As for genres I'll take dark if that's cool?

Wargame
Group Admin

813749 I'm all up for any comedy or random stories, I feel those two tags are the ones that generally have the most problems. For example a lot of people love using the Random tag but don't know how to be random and avoid being annoying at the same time.

814059 I've already thought up a few rules:

If the story starts with Twilight reading a book, take a drink

If the aforementioned book is relevant to the plot of the story, take another drink

If you see an instance of the Lavender Unicorn Syndrome, take a drink

Lyra joke? Take two drinks

Derpy/Ditzy appears in the story for absolutely no reason, take a drink

Overly complex sentence/paragraph explaining something simple, take a drink

Applejack speaks with an unnecessarily thick accent, take a drink

"CUTIE MARK CRUSADER XXX! YAAY!" take a drink

Pinkie Pie appears from nowhere, take a drink

That's all I've got so far.

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

Hard mode: drink at every punctuation or spelling error...

Wargame
Group Admin

814103 Alcohol poisoning, that's what your rule is.

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

Depends what you're drinking I guess :rainbowlaugh:

OpalBerries
Group Admin

814103>>814138 Can I take a drink from cough syrup instead of the alcohol? Not much of a drinker, but i'm willing to participate in this game, sounds interesting; plus, cough syrup tastes like utter crap.

Wargame
Group Admin

814160 Haha with that rule there are some fics where you could be drinking non-alcoholic beer and wind up blackout drunk.

814201 I wouldn't drink cough syrup, maybe just a light beer and take a quick drink every time you're supposed to.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

814209 Any recommends of light beer?

Wargame
Group Admin

814211 They're all awful, maybe something that's just inexpensive. If you don't mind paying a bit more though for some better taste I would go with one of those Smirnoff Ice six-packs, there are several different flavors that don't all taste like crap. They're pretty weak in terms of alcohol content but they don't taste like chilled piss like Natural Light or Keystone Light.

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

SLIPPER MARK CRUSADERS DRUNK REVIEWERS YAY

Wargame
Group Admin

814224 Take a drink, if it wasn't 10:15 am here I would take one too.

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

I'm off to a hot tub get together in a few hours, I shall take my penalty there.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

808943 what do you say to all this slipper? You in?

SlipperPutty
Group Admin

815838 It's certainly an intriguing idea. I, too, am not much of a drinker, but the idea is good. I suppose I'll get in on this.

Looking through the discussions, I would say I'm also into random comedy stories; that's most of what I read outside of these reviews.

Your idea for a suggestion box was also a great idea. I'll probably set one up via a Gmail account soon.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

816044>>814294>>814235 Alright, that leaves Romance, Crossover, Adventure and Human, hanging. That leaves us each a Genre to pick and add to our main sector. Call out what you want to add, and, in order to prevent a feud or something over a genre, the first person to call out an addition to their sector gets that Genre, so call out what you want to add FAST!

816044 Perhaps you and I would be the ones not drinking, we would need someone sober to moderate the stuff.

814294 You'll handle Dark fics, If you think you can handle all the darkness that lies within our minds.

814235>>816044 Because Random Comedies are pretty hard to understand and come up with, aswell as deviate its overall randomness and comedy, Slipper and Wargame can both work on that sector.

And I guess I'll handle the Four I stated, plus an addition, but, because I don't want to make this unfair, I'll take the Genre that isn't picked by anyone.

SlipperPutty
Group Admin

816166 I'll take adventure and human. You seem to have a lot on your plate there Opal; four seems like enough :derpytongue2:

OpalBerries
Group Admin

okie dokie then, that leaves romance and cross over.

Wargame
Group Admin

816231 If you want I can take crossover, I'm actually writing my own crossover story right now so I want to read some more of the genre to see what works and what doesn't work.

OpalBerries
Group Admin

814294 Looks like that leaves romance to you, Primus; can you handle the shipping?

Pinkie Primus
Group Admin

That I can. Just for banter and shiggles I will review mature rated stuff in that area if necessary, so long as it isn't just a completely mindless cloptacular clopfest.

Comment posted by Wargame deleted Mar 28th, 2013
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 27