Pokemon Mainstream(Edited) 90 members · 74 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

I'm doing a little passion project involving Pokemon (my other major fandom), and I need help. Basically, I'm looking to make a functional and 'realistic' Pokedex - it scans a target, uses image recognition, and if it finds (for example) an Eevee or picture of an Eevee, it'll go to the proper entry.

However, I also want the Pokedex data entries to be a little more nuanced than the stuff found in the games - they should contain stuff that's actually useful to a researcher looking to study a species or a Trainer looking to raise one. Diet, special needs, stuff like that. You can use lore from the anime, games, Bulbapedia, all that, but it should come out as at least somewhat realistic (see Magcargo's Pokedex entry for how not to do this. 10,000 C is nearly twice as hot as the surface of the Sun, and the light emitted by a blackbody of that temperature would blind anyone within visual distance.)

What I need help with is, essentially, that there are a lot of Pokemon out there. So take this as a kind of writing challenge, if you will - what would you write to the average layperson wanting to take care of any Pokemon of your choice? For example, here's what I wrote about Bulbasaur:

"Description: Bulbasaur is born with a seed attached to its back. This seed absorbs sunlight and converts it into useful nutrients both for the seed and Bulbasaur itself, a form of direct symbiosis that contests normal definitions of 'plant' and 'animal' for this species. Bulbasaur can go for multiple days without eating due to the nutrients generated by the seed. This seed eventually develops into a bulb-like pouch filled with numerous seeds, which grows larger as Bulbasaur ages. Bulbasaur are generally calm and difficult to capture in the wild.

Caretaking Advice: Bulbasaur and all evolutions are much weaker and less active in low sunlight, and may require artificial sunlight supplements during cloudy winter or fall seasons depending on activity. Bulbasaur are herbivorous in nature and generally prefer leafy greens such as spinach, mint, and celery in addition to standard nutrition requirements. Avoid foods containing excessive salt, nitrates or other curatives. Bathing also helps to water the plant on Bulbasaur’s back, and is recommended daily. While Bulbasaur can rear onto their hind legs, doing so frequently is not advised, as it may lead to scoliosis."

The description is mostly a conglomerate of various Pokedex entries across games, but the Caretaking Advice section is completely made up based on what I think a Bulbasaur would need. As you can see, it doesn't have to be much, and conciseness is appreciated.

Also, if you want to join a Discord server about this project, here's the invite link: https://discord.gg/WePuW28

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1