RWBY Fan Club 700 members · 133 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

Hey, guys. I'm going to discuss about a minor character, Summer Rose. While we're not talking about any theories, such as the fact Ruby is a clone of Summer Rose because it doesn't add to the narration and people bashed Fallen Kingdom for Maisie Lockwood being a clone in a Jurassic movie that features genetic cloning, unlike RWBY, I actually don't like the fact that Summer Rose is (presumed) killed only to be used just for the sake of Ruby's character development that doesn't have the impact on her. We've seen the protagonist's parents' death trope before, such as Harry Potter, and it's getting really lazy. Sure, she's a minor character, but I actually find Summer Rose kinda interesting.

And to add insult to injury, Monty Oum stated that the gravestone in Red Trailer originally had no story significance; however, Jeff Williams questioned Monty Oum about who was in the grave, Monty replied that he doesn't know who is in the grave and thought it would be 'cool' if she visited a grave, and then Jeff asked the grave was Ruby's mother which Monty buys it. Okay, Monty Oum, you're making a terrible mistake. Why do you choose Ruby's mother as an idea? I know we haven't seen Ruby's mom, and, yes, Yang mentioned Taiyang in 'Field Trip', but they didn't mention that their mother died until volume 3, and it felt out of nowhere (unless if I missed something, if you guys could remind me in the comment section). Why not have Ruby's grandmother instead, since Ruby is an allusion to Red Riding Hood where her grandmother got killed by a wolf to be used as bait? Next time (if you're still alive), just be careful what your investors ask for any ideas.

I just want Summer Rose to be shown how much of a caring mother she is to Ruby, even feeding her with cookies. Maybe she would be portrayed as a religious character which is why Taiyang prefers to marry Summer, or maybe Ruby has a biological father who disappeared after Ruby's birth. Or it might be very interesting if Summer Rose is presumed dead, but Ruby visioned that she's actually still alive, but very hidden, and followed a plot where Team RWBY is destined to find Ruby's long lost mother while fighting off forces of evil standing in their way. I also used the same idea in the upcoming Godzilla crossover fanfiction, only to have Godzilla as their ally, like something out of Godzilla: The Series or the Monsterverse. I'm just not a big fan of quest plots in the canon version where you have to find the McGuffins to defeat the dark lord, and I'm also not a big fan of the protagonist's dead parents trope because they're overused and very lazy.

Am I the only one who expected Summer as a major character instead of a thrown-in character just to be (presumably) killed by some villain, mostly Salem, just for the sake of character impact that has nothing to do with the plot?

No, you're not the only one.

I would be happy if we get some backstory, we know that Summer died at the hands of Salem. But what about before then?

Not to mention on how she died.

I actually want her as a major character, like meeting her in physical contact with the protagonists, not as a flashback nor a backstory.

7644086 If RT decides to make a prequel series maybe.

Everyone knew that summer was dead for years now. I think since volume 1 or 2

I still believe the qrow is secretly Ruby's father theory

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9