SCI 22 members · 10 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10
The Questioner
Group Admin

Hello, dear inhabitants.
Here, at last, is the thread that shall define one of our major purposes: Improving authors' grasp of scientific concepts (and magic, can't forget that...). So, without further ado, here it is!

Fanfiction Submission:
One of our major purposes as the group of SCIENCE CONSULTANTS, INCORPORATED (hereby referred to as "SCI" or simply "the group" or any malapropism thereof) is to improve the scientific accuracy of fanfictions (hereby referred to as "fanfictions" or "works" or other related titles) on FIMFICTION DOT NET (hereby referred to as "The Website" or simply "here"). Thus, any of our beloved members can submit works of fiction that they believe have corrupted or made impure the immutable laws of Science or Magic (either "science" or "magic" suffices for both regards), within reason.

Rules for Submission:
Submit works that require only minor scientific modification to the folder entitled "Minor Modification Archive." These works are characterized by principally "good" writing, and do not require extensive editorial modifications.

Submit works that require extensive SCIENTIFIC edits to the folder entitled "Scientifically Inaccurate Repository." These works are characterized by principally "good" writing, and while they may only require minor editorial modifications, are gravely scientifically innacurate in one or more regard.

Submit works that require extensive LITERARY AND SCIENTIFIC editing to the folder entitled "Extensive Edits Required." These works are characterized by "bad" writing, generally making mockery BOTH of the transcendent laws of Science and the guidelines on good writing.

When submitting works, make sure to post on this thread the following information:
- How you came across the piece.
- Why it deserves to be here (list the scientific principles it tarnishes).
- What, if any, redeeming qualities it had.

Include a request for either:
- Myself or any licensed editor (hereby referred to as "us") to suggest modifications privately.
--OR--
- The group as a whole to modify it (PM me to make a new thread about said piece).

Licensed Editors:
- InfinityXanadu (Founder and Chairman)
- Reasonandrhyme (Executive Contributor)
- To be added...

Thank you for taking the time to read these guidelines, and please point out any errata and/or addendums I should modify. For the Science!
~InfinityXanadu :twilightsmile::raritywink:

The Questioner
Group Admin

Added The 7th Element series to the "Extensive Edits Required" section for its HORRIBLE characterization, general disregard for good writing, and not to mention complete lack of scientific accuracy.
EDIT: AUTHOR HAS REFUSED HELP. EXECUTE DIRECTIVE SIX-SIX.

Listener
Group Contributor

Just wondering, can I add my fic for future scientific mishaps? It's got some time-space/ basic laws of reality things going on, and I'm pretty sure that I've messed up somewhere.

redactedandredacted
Group Admin

475418 If you think you've screwed up already, go ahead and add it. If you expect trouble in the future then why not throw some questions on the general talk thread? You can always add it later if some things are still sketchy, but adding it in advance seems like you're giving up the fight before it's started, know what I mean?

redactedandredacted
Group Admin

Anyways, I've added Race the Wind to the Minor Mods folder due to a painfully innocent error in aerophysics in chapter 8. If you read it through you'll probably spot it.

The Questioner
Group Admin

Yeah. Spotted it, but it doesn't seem to be that bad. Also, there were a few other minor errors, but nothing, as you said, that detracts from it. Definitely an innocent mistake. Good fiction, by the way. Props to the author.
Added a fic to the MMA because I just hadn't read it thoroughly yet, so I couldn't exactly tell what it needed.

Yinglung
Group Contributor

Just saw a fic added to the 'Highest Honors' folder. That got me thinking: what exactly is that folder for? If it is for fics that purportedly contain little to no scientific error, then who would see to its selection and examination? Would there be a list of criteria to check against by independent raters to ensure its reliability? For example, it would be something like (some are reverse items):

Please rate this piece of fiction with its compliance towards the following statements (1-5, 1: least compliant; 5: most compliant)
1. It contains plausible developments of contemporary technologies.
2. It uses technobabbles to hand-wave scientific explanations.
3. Wherever appropriate, it builds upon scientific theories currently accepted by the majority of the academia instead of fringe ideas or hypotheses with little empirical support.
4. The technologies in the story has satisfying internal logic.
...etc. etc.

Since that folder seems to have an 'endorsement' nature compared to all the others, which are related to this group's work as inspectors of scientific errors, it would be the best if it's kept as neutral and objective as possible, within the reasonable realm of collective judgment of course. Otherwise it should probably not stay as it is now, seemingly as some sort of group endorsement, and should be kept clean until further proceeding.

I am Meinheim by the way, just changed the username.

The Questioner
Group Admin

You're entirely right. You know, I have never gotten around to thanking you for your erudite contributions.
In response to your comment, I'll justify the additions here. And you're right; we should talk before submitting them to the Compendium.

For: "My Little Pony: Friendship is Optimal"
1. This fic scores about a three here. While it isn't IMPLAUSIBLE, it does take for granted consciousness-transfer technologies, which seem a tad out there
2. This fic scores about a three here, as well. It appears all right, but sometimes there are a few inconsistencies. However, the author is extremely good at expressing things with an eye to readability.
3. This fic scores about a three here. I believe that it builds on A.I. technology that could become plausible soon, but I'm noticing some... implausiblilties about the series itself that don't exist in the subculture devoted to it.
4. This fic pretty much scores perfect in this regard. It works--quite well, I might add.

On second thought, I may as well move it out of the group. Actually, we need an "okay" fics folder. Something to put stuff in if it's not bad, but not perfect.

For "Eclipse," however, I am inclined to keep it there.
1. It's pretty damn good in this regard (only issues might be with nukes, but nukes are okay in space, I guess...)
2. 5. Not really at all.
3. Again, perfect IMO. The only scientific incongruities are those vital to the story (sun revolving, etc.)
4. 5. I would challenge anyone to debate this. It pretty much made the nerd inside of me *squee*.

I'll keep "Eclipse," but remove the other.

Yinglung
Group Contributor

534666 First, thank you very much for taking the time to the issue. I'm flustered by your saying of erudite though, I'm but a common learner. :twilightsmile:

Yeah, I think that would do it for now. At least now we have sort of a standardized procedure for fic selection. As the group grows larger and members become more diverse, there might be more practical needs for it in the future.

The Questioner
Group Admin

Hell, I compliment everyone to the point of irrationality. That doesn't mean I don't mean it--or that I'm wrong...--but I have apparently gained millions of points in the "Official R&R Compliment Rulebook..." whatever that means.

Good on you for thinking ahead!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10