Unusual Mac Ships 396 members · 222 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19
Shrapmo
Group Admin

:eeyup:Howdy Unusual Members! I've got another little topic I'd like to hear your opinions on. Now, we all know that Big Mac is a quiet pony (canon wise he doesn't show much emotion). When you read a story featuring Mac, or just imagining him in your head, how do you perceive him to be? Meaning, what do you think his personality to be? Many of us writers enjoy using him because he is almost like an avatar to put whatever personality we want into him. I was just wondering how you all prefer him to be? Thank you for your Unusual input!

Love,
Shrapmo:rainbowkiss:

Well... he's quiet and studious. I also like to think that he is fairly intelligent, and more book smart than his sister.

Shrapmo
Group Admin

2723818 It's good to hear from you again! I agree, I've always imagined that he was far more intelligent, especially with him trying to talk reason into his sister at times.

The use of the phrase "Fancy Mathematics" helps, along with the one that is pretty much running the farm. Someone would have to have a head for finances to keep them in the black.

Shrapmo
Group Admin

2724160 I agree, I know some people like to imagine that AJ would run the farm, but I always find faults with that. First off Mac is the eldest sibling, which means no matter what the farm would be passed down to him. Second, he is far more level headed like you said. I don't care how aggressive AJ is, she has to have respect for Mac.

I think that has to do with the perceived notion that Equestia is matriarchal and the gender ratio is skewed towards mare. Really it's a stupid excuse.

Though funny that is my 'verse he doesn't completely run the farm, his mother still has a hoof in keeping things going though she has to concentrate on her actual job in Canterlot.

As a farmboy myself (and one who hails from an unusually large family as it were), and as one who is very inclined to physical labor and the concept of being a man, I've always attributed certain characteristics to fictional individuals who share a similar background.

I have always envisioned the Red One to be down to earth and unabashedly straightforward He enjoys the simple things that life brings, and with a bit of a roguish streak, he's more than willing to have fun with the other guys, to a point.

As a man, he's confident in his own masculinity, as well as his own abilities; he won't second guess himself, and while that's a weakness, it is also a source of strength.

He is a family man, though very often it was not by choice but out of necessity. He is a farmer, and thus he is willing to do work and put effort into things that need to be done, but at the same time fully aware that he'd rather be doing something else.

As a farmer he is also of the mind that, while much of society is tiered towards those who have and against those who have not, he believes that all people are equal in their potential, and thus he does not pay homage to title nor station, but to character and wherewithal.

Another farming trait would undoubtedly be a mind towards fiscal matters, but not to the extent of genius - rather, he is financially aware of what it takes to stay ahead of the break-even point (something my father drilled into my brothers and I from a very young age, and trait that ought to be expounded upon all peoples).

While he is by no means an introvert by nature, he isn't one to draw attention upon his issues and is often more concerned with larger matters that what affects him individually.

Generous when need be, and honorable to some degree, he was raised to a set of family values and standards that may not be the norm of society, but he is by no means a selfless martyr; as a farmer, he has neither the time nor the patience for such nonsense when there is always something to be done.

Polite to a point, but not someone to be walked upon; he has principles, and should they be crossed, then pity the poor bastard who'd incur his ire. People of no use to him are swiftly told as such, and while help is always appreciated, he will not beg for it.

Often introspective on his down time, he might often think about his life and where the next day might lead, but as for the past - what's done is done and there is no sense in regretting 'What-ifs'.

While not athletic or competitive by nature, he will meet a challenge head on if it brings benefit; nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Finally, while he may be hard pressed to show emotion to those he doesn't know, he is a caring individual towards family and loved ones - and while he's not exactly a romantic by nature, he can have his heart-felt moments.

As for how he interacts with those around him on a daily basis, I find that If you've every heard John Wayne's Code to Live By, you'll understand how I view him in such regards.

2723796 :eeyup: Strong silent type

Shrapmo
Group Admin
Shrapmo
Group Admin

2724426 Now this I can appreciate, it reminds me of my father and my oldest uncles (all farm boys). In fact it describes them to a T. You know it was actually your most recent comment on "Give Me Wings to Fly" that made me bring this up. In that chapter I was trying to convey Mac being in a situation he was not rightly used to or comfortable with, and I'll agree I kind of went off of my usual path with his personality with it, but that chapter was just him dealing with the shock of something new, hopefully I can portray his stronger side in the coming chapters (and now that I think about it, it ticks me off how I had him fearing Applejack's anger, I hate reading that and I hate how I wrote it, an older sibling has power over the your ones no matter what!)

Glad to hear as such. Hope to see more of your work soon.

I think Big Mac is the one you can depend on. AppleJack is always running around saving Equestria or hanging with her friends and Apple Bloom has school and crusading to do. So much of the farm is left in Big Mac's hooves. That being said, I think he's willing to do what it takes to keep his sister's happy. I think he's a lot smarter than he lets on as many seem to overlook him as nothing but a farmer or a really tall and strong pony. Now, if only he'd end up with Zecora.

Shrapmo
Group Admin

2728353 I do enjoy me some ZoraMac! *Sigh* If only I was good at rhyming I could write one.:fluttershysad:

I'm not good at rhyming (failed poetry writing) and I'm still gonna write one.

Shrapmo
Group Admin

2729036 Good luck! I looked forward to reading it!

2729133 Thanks. Now all I have to do is finish all the projects ahead of it.

I just want to say that, no matter what you choose to do with him in your stories, I always enjoy your writing style - don't change what you do for the sake of others' ideas simply to please; use what works best for the story as a whole.
With that said, I can only wish you good luck.

Shrapmo
Group Admin

2731011 Thanks man, it's good to hear that. I've been a musician my whole like, and I can tell you that the most important thing to me is artist creativity. One should never try to stifle the flow of another just because it's different of new. I'll keep doing what I do though, don't you worry! But at the the same time I do appreciate the opinions of others (such as yours), and I like to hear what they think about things, it helps me from forming tunnel vision you know? The main purpose of this blog? Basically just to get inside others heads, and at the same time letting them express their beliefs. Thank you very much for participating man, I always value your input. :eeyup:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19