• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,081 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,081

PreviousChapters Next
Call the Elevator

Down in the streets of Blue Nova, three bodies hugged the walls of an alley as they snuck along the circumference of the Nightshade Industries skyscraper. The place was delightfully abandoned, with nary a bum or a vagabond to be had. Bellesmith and Phoenix could easily have galloped down the barren length of the corridor. They almost did—only Kera suddenly stopped, turning to face a blank wall of the looming spire.

"Huh?" Phoenix squinted. "Kid, why are you stopping?"

"Because this is the way in, ya yahoo!" Kera squeaked.

Phoenix smirked. "What, this barren wall? I think your memory's playing tricks on you."

"Pffft! I'll show you tricks!" Kera gritted her teeth. Bands of blue and silver illumination rippled beneath her cloak. The tattoos along her face sparkled. "Nnnngh..." After a final flicker to her horn, a beam of magic surged into the body of the building. Glowing lines wafted across the surface, forming the frame of a door. Then, with a hiss of compressed air, a thin chamber opened up to the three.

Phoenix grimaced, his ears drooping. Belle trotted past him with a smirk. "Oh ye of little spunk," she said.

"Okay, look, I'm sorry that I'm not immediately impressed by the Mare Sue here!" Phoenix balked. "I'll try to be less of a flankhole from now on..."

"Yeah, good luck with that," Kera said as she trotted gaily into the building. Bellesmith giggled and motioned Phoenix along.

The stallion grumbled, ultimately lurching after the two ponies.

Inside, the ponies found themselves surrounded by concrete girders and shelves upon shelves of maintenance equipment.

"It's so... so..." Belle stammered.

"Boring, right?" Kera remarked, leading the way ahead through the shadows.

"I was going to say 'clean,'" the mare stated. "It's so strange to walk into this from a world of rubbish and neglect."

"Nightshade grooms herself inside and out," Kera said. "I guess all ponies want to feel good about looking good. Y'know?"

"Sure... sure..." Phoenix nodded, shifting about uncomfortably. "Where are we off to now?"

"We would very much like to ascend the tower, Kera," Belle said. She paused to glance inside one of her saddlebags, spotting the glow of the runic tome housed within. "The place where you saw these symbols... where the other foals are..."

"What about it?"

"Could you take us there?"

Kera squinted back at the two. "Really? You guys sure that's where you wanna go?"

"Why, don't you remember how to get there?" Phoenix remarked.

"Mr. Phoenix..." Belle whispered.

Phoenix ignored it. "You said you came back multiple times without being seen." His eyes narrowed. "Prove it."

Belle bit her lip.

Kera frowned. "Think I'm full of hot air, huh? I'll show you!" she hoarsely exclaimed before scampering towards a door. "I'll show you! This way!"

Phoenix leaned in to Belle. "I'm quite certain she will take us now."

"Mr. Phoenix, I want to stay in her good favor."

"For what purpose?"

Bellesmith whispered back, "She's just a foal. I'm convinced she needs us more than we need her."

"You may wish to make up your mind about who you care about the most," Phoenix remarked. "Kera or Rainbow Dash? Because so far we are surviving on luck alone. We may find ourselves swiftly lacking the luxury of choice."

All Belle did was sigh.

Kera hissed from far ahead, motioning the other two ponies ahead. She darted out into the immediate hallway and the other two followed.

Belle had long forgotten what air-conditioning felt like. Her coat formed goosebumps as she found herself slowly navigating a long corridor with smooth, reflective granite tile and many many doors. At regularly spaced intervals, glittering light fixtures hung from the polished ceiling, casting an amber brilliance about the place.

"Yeesh..." Phoenix whispered, glancing nervously over his shoulder down the empty lengths of the majestic hallway. Every now and then, there was the hint of clattering hooves, but no immediate sign of Nightshade employees. "Not even the largest Franzington embassy in southeast Ledomare was as decked up as this place. I wonder just how much money the ponies of the Confederacy have to throw around."

"Enough to keep the dust out," Belle said. She looked ahead. "Kera, darling, where to... now?"

The foal had stopped in front of one of three elevator doors. The frame had no hint of controls of any sort attached to it.

"Through here," the child murmured.

"I don't think that's accessible," Phoenix said. "At least not to non employees."

"I'll make it accessible." Kera leaned forward. "Just like I always have."

"Phoenix?" Belle trotted into the tight trio. "You're magically gifted. Couldn't you—"

"I'd only be breaking stuff from the inside out," he grumbled. "I obviously don't know this tech like she does. It's pretty nifty."

"I'll pretend that's his way of saying that he likes me," Kera muttered in mid-concentration.

Belle elbowed Phoenix. The stallion rubbed his side and glared at Belle. Belle smirked.

At last, the door opened briskly, revealing the dimly-lit interior of a service elevator car. "There. It's one of Madame Nightsucker's private elevators. It should take us to where you wanna go."

"Wonderful," Belle said as Phoenix marched in to check the interior out. "We should go about this quickly. There's no telling how thick the security may be."

"Actually, I'm getting the feeling that Nightshade's forces aren't here. This place is barren," Phoenix thought aloud from the elevator. After a thorough sweep, he gave Belle a reassuring smile. "Seems like the guards were sent to the location of the zeppelin crash in the northeast industrial sector. This may be the chance we need."

"To do what?"

"Erm... I thought you had that covered, Ms. Bellesmith."

Belle blushed slightly. "Right." She made for the elevator. "Right. Well, let's go—" She froze suddenly, noticing a body frozen in place to her side. "Kera...?"

The foal stood still, her tiny hooves fidgeting against the polished floor.

"Kera..." Belle knelt down. "Is everything okay?"

"Do you really... really wanna go up there?" the filly murmured, avoiding Belle's chestnut eyes. "I mean, really?"

"There's a mystery about this place that I must figure out," Belle said. "Also, I am very much concerned about your friends."

"They're not my friends," Kera said bitterly. "None of them can do the tricks that I can do, and they haven't bothered with escaping. They're cowards is what they are..."

Belle glanced over flank at the elevator. She turned and looked back at Kera. "Are you afraid to go back there?"

Kera did a double-take. Her frown was venomous as she slapped her hooves down. "I am so NOT afraid! I'm doing you a favore here, remember?"

But Belle softly smiled and placed a hoof on her shoulder. "Kera, it's okay. If worse comes to worse, I'll protect you."

"Pfffft!" Kera smiled goofily. "You? Protect me?" She gawked at the mare. "But you're so... so... soft!"

"Nevertheless, I will keep you safe," Belle said. "I promise you this."

"Hmmph..." Kera brushed Belle's shoulder off. "You two are worthless. I've got way better things to do than waste my time with a pair of bumbling adults."

Belle raised an eyebrow. "Then why did you come to us in the first place?"

Kera was dead silent.

Belle smiled. "It wasn't just to give us my books back, was it?"

"Pssst! Hey! Can the soap opera wait?" Phoenix hissed from the elevator car. "Do your girl-talk somewhere else than in an open hallway inside a megamare's skyscraper!"

Belle bit her lip. Kera brushed past her.

"He's right. Let's do this crud."

Belle let out a deep breath, scurried into the elevator, and watched as the doors closed silently behind her.

PreviousChapters Next