• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,079 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,079

PreviousChapters Next
Master Control Pony

Madame Nightshade's breaths came out in shuddering spurts as she knelt quietly besides Novus' bedside. A pair of soundstones flanking the health monitors played a gentle symphony, recorded years ago. It crackled with antique static, causing the mare's ears to twitch every now and then.

Suddenly, the door to the room opened. A frenzied stallion in a disheveled suit leaned through the doorway. "Uhm... M-Madame Nightshade? Ma'am? Uhm..." Sir Ordo gulped and put on a fractured smile. "We have... uh... something of a pr-problem..."

She looked up, her eyes moist. Rubbing her lids dry, she cleared her throat and stood from Novus' side. "Ordo, I have told you on several occasions..." She swiveled about with an icy frown. "Unless it is a moment of dire emergency, I am not to be disturbed while visiting my brother while he's still—"

"It's the sequencing room, ma'am," Ordo blurted. "It's sealed off. I've... uh... I've ordered a security detachment and an engineering team to try and bypass the outer door." He gulped. "We... uh... we have reason to believe that the ring team has been compromised."

Nightshade stared at him, her eyes steely from beneath the brim of her sunhat. At last, she firmly uttered, "Show me."

After minutes of traversing hallways and offices, Ordo led his superior to the end of the corridor where a busy cluster of ponies were gathered. They were engaged in an intricate operation, taking the wall apart and needling through the crystal mana conduits located within. Stallions and mares in uniforms droned orders to one another as they collectively struggled to open the door from the outside.

"I had to leave briefly in order to gather some files sent in from the think tank. Uhm..." Ordo shifted his weight from his left limbs to his right as he stood nervously besides the mare. "As you well know, we're just two symbols away—possibly three—from ascertaining the last bits of the seal for the zeppelin's energy core. The last I checked on the foals, all twelve of them were dreaming away with the machine operating at peak efficiency."

Nightshade sighed through her nostrils. "Whoever's in there, somepony must have infiltrated from the opposite end of the laboratory."

"But how?!" Ordo made a face. "Madame, there's only two ways to get on this floor! One is the elevator and the other is through a balcony hatch that's sealed from the inside! If I had been given a security team to watch the foals in sequencing from the get-go, then perhaps I could have—"

"A team of stallions and mares with weapons is the last thing the Xonan children need to see," Madame Nightshade droned. "They need to be focused on the sequencing, nothing else. Besides... I only want them to fear one thing."

"Right... uhm... b-but of course, Madame..." Ordo shivered. "I'm sorry, Madame. This is all my fault. If I hadn't been multitasking, then I could have—"

"You have always been loyal to me, Ordo. Do not prepare yourself for the gallows just yet." Pivoting, Madame looked towards the next two doorways. "Is there any sign that the sequencing has been terminated?"

"Uhhh... no, ma'am. Myself and the guards sense all twelve of them inside, still slumbering."

"Right..." Madame marched up to one of the twin doors and pulled open a panel. Using her hoof, she inputted a code, and then the door slid open to reveal an infirmary. Lights flickered to life, casting a pale sheen to the white, white interior. "Tell security to send another team, then shut down all elevators. I don't want them to escape the same way they may have come up."

"Who might 'they' be, Madame?" Ordo asked, nervously stumbling after her. "The Council of Ledo? Xonan agents?"

"I intend to find that out," Nightshade said. She pulled a lever, and a compartment in the wall slid open, revealing a bed with sequencing wires attached to it. "Keep trying to open the door, although I would suspect that I will get to them first."

"And... And what of the foals?" Ordo asked.

Nightshade took off her sunhat, revealing a stubby horn. "They will follow my orders," she said, attaching the first of many wires to her head as she slid onto the bed. "They always do..."

PreviousChapters Next