• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,079 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,079

PreviousChapters Next
These Chestnut Eyes

"—focused!" His mustached face said, leaning directly in her face.

"Aaaaah!" Bellesmith shot up, her brown eyes wide and brimming with tears. Her horn glowed brighter than the sun. The cap over the end of it was smoking. The arcane wires fused to the metal piece were burning red. "Mmmmff—Aaaugh! Beloved! I w-want to see him! Blessed Spark! Blessed Spark, save m-me!" She jerked in fitful spasms.

With a worried expression, the stallion gripped her hard to the bed with his graying limbs. He turned and shouted at ponies working instruments along the pale edges of the tight room. "I thought you pulled her out!"

"We finally did!" one of two ponies garbed in white exclaimed. They rushed across the dimly lit chamber and huddled around her. "Her leylines are still fused!"

"Even still? Apply more buffers to the sphere divide!" The stallion exclaimed, passing beneath an illuminated sheet of glass. "We must get her out more slowly than this!"

"It's too late! She's cut off from the sequence—"

"Wait!" A pony in the back, a unicorn mare, looked up from an instrumental panel. She gasped with a victorious grin. "I've got it! All connections severed... now!"

The pulsating light at the end of Bellesmith's forehead finally dimmed. She fell back into a cushioned bed, panting, sweating from head to hoof.

Breathing easier, the ponies trotted back to their stations, powering the machine down. The mustached stallion knelt by Belle's bedside. "Well done, Felicity. You just saved the mare's life..."

The unicorn trotted over from the back, exhaling with similar relief. "I can't believe how close that was..."

"Did you figure out the cause of all this?"

"It looks as though there was a mana feedback loop interfering from the start. It's likely she got stuck in that, which is why all of the sequencing spheres got tangled up." Felicity stood by the bed, smiling down at the recuperating pony. "Those last two times we tried pulling her out were just echoes of her magical signature, and not her real consciousness."

"By the Queen's mane... we almost lost her..."

"Lost... m-me...?" Bellesmith panted, her eyes gradually widening. She brought a hoof up to her steaming horn, only to feel a fountain of full, rich mane hair. Her face grimaced, and she looked down to see that her tail hairs were likewise intact. "But... it... what...?"

"Bellesmith, darling, try and relax," the stallion leaned in, gently squeezing her shoulder. "There was... an error in the apparatus, we had to try several times to reel you back to the surface, as t'were. Felicity here proved priceless in her assistance. We had to interrupt her off-time with Placid to come here and save the day."

"Oh, don't pin this all on me," Felicity said with a chuckle. "The Doctor here had a part to play in this. According to my readings, she actually terminated the sequence from within."

"Terminated from within?!" The stallion gaped at her. "You... you don't mean to suggest that she resorted to—?"

"Please, I... I don't understand..." Belle seethed, sitting up straight... only to fall back down from how numb her limbs felt. "Unngh... I was... on the zeppelin. And... and Prime Enforcer Shell had tortured Rainbow Dash... to learn more about the machine world..."

"Rainbow... Dash...?" Felicity raised an eyebrow.

"Prime Enforcer Shell?" The stallion blinked. Smiling nervously, he reached forward and patted the mare's hooves. "Belle, darling, I think now's a good time for us to take you to the infirmary—"

"I'm not sick! I... I was falling... and..." Belle turned towards him, then froze, squinting. "Dalton...?"

"Yes, Belle..." He gave a mustached smile, nodding. "That's right. What else can you remember?"

"I..." Belle's golden face slowly, slowly relaxed, as the hard lines melted with the cold sweat running down her brow. "The sequencing spheres... the experiment..." She blinked. "Blue Shelf?"

"That's incredible," Felicity said, gazing at Dalton with a shocked smile. "And after all that she went through! If you don't call that a good sign, I don't know what is!"

"Good sign? Huh?" Belle successfully sat up, albeit on quivering limbs. "I don't understand. What's going on...?"

"You were going under for another routine sequencing this morning," Dalton said. "But you got caught in a feedback loop. If what Doctor Felicity here says is true, then you were just one or two sphere-streams from losing consciousness forever. We spent a great deal of time and effort trying to get you back out."

"Out... out of what?" Belle gawked at the machinery looming above and around her. She fluffed her mane again and stammered, "How... how long was I under?"

"About twelve hours, darling."

Belle's jaw hung open. She exhaled.

"What...?"

PreviousChapters Next