• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,080 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,080

PreviousChapters Next
Know the Drill

“We're making headway, sir!” shouted an enforcer over the deafening buzz of iron-wrought mana drills. The rigged devices hung in a tight circle, nestled within an abandoned intersection of Blue Nova's industrial district. Uniformed stallions telekinetically controlled the devices, guiding their rotating blades through the steaming concrete as they gradually bore through to the chambers below. “According to the old city schematics, we should be breaking through to a junction of underground aqueducts. The targets are bound to be in one of the adjacent corridors!”

“Well done, lieutenant!” Shell shouted back. He stood on the sidewalk, gazing past the manadrills to where a line of curious citizens had been forced to stand at a cautious distance. They craned their necks and watched with mute curiosity. “When you get a chance, see if you can get your subordinates to extend the perimeter by another block. I don't appreciate how close the locals are being allowed to congregate around our work here.”

“I will do the best I can with the forces available to me, sir!” the pony shouted back. “We're stretched really thin as it is!”

“That's because I need the blockade to remain in the air around Blue Nova!” Shell exclaimed as he paced around the loud drills. “We need to keep a good eye on who's going in and who's coming out of the maretropolis!”

“A suggestion, sir...” The pony spoke up. “If we could simply make contact with the Council of Ledo, they could send us reinforcements and order an early curfew for all of the citizens of this city!”

“No!” Shell growled, his scarred face grimacing. “Out of the question! You would do well to stick with the task given to you and that alone, soldier!”

The lieutenant blinked, but ultimately saluted with a deadpan expression. “Sir, yes, sir! Understood, s-sir...”

Just then, the air roared from the sound of a hovercraft lowering. Shell and multiple other enforcers glanced up.

Enforcer Evans dismounted from a glider and galloped up towards him. He saluted and breathlessly exclaimed, “Prime Enforcer Shell, sir! There's been a discovery east of here!”

Shell's one good eye narrowed. “What kind of discovery...?”

“Multiple wingponies have been orbiting the city perimeter, scanning the landscape for any sign of traffic coming in or out, just like you commanded, sir,” Evans said. “Due east, a noticeably strange detail was found about two miles out.”

“Was it our target?” Shell exclaimed. “Has the pegasus returned?”

“Sadly no, sir, but we did notice an artificial structure cleverly hidden within the eastern slope of a grassy knoll.” Evan's brow furrowed as he said, “It appears to be a door of sorts, sir. A very large door, like something befitting an enormous compartment. In fact, I had multiple enforcers scan the local topography. There appears to be a sizably large underground chamber situated due east, directly beneath this sealed structure.”

Shell took a deep breath. He exchanged glances with the lieutenant, then squinted at Evans again. “Did anypony try opening this entrance?”

“We had no luck, sir. The structure is incredibly thick, like the bulwark to a Xonan hideout.”

“Blessed spark!” the lieutenant gasped. “You don't mean to suggest—”

“Please ignore the enforcer's hyperbole, lieutenant,” Shell droned, waving a metal cast. “I suspect the truth is far more predictable. There is something very, very unsettling about this city, and I suspect Nightshade is at the very heart of it.”

“About Nightshade, sir,” Evans said. “Many of our fellow enforcers have tried contacting her, as you requested. There's been no response. Furthermore, a guard or two in her employ spoke of her airship having left the vicinity of Blue Nova nearly twelve hours ago.”

Shell's brow furrowed. “And this somehow managed to slip past our blockade?!”

“We've been trying to get a firm count of the zeppelins still moored within the city limits to verify whether or not this claim is true,” said Evans.

“This is what I mean!” the lieutenant exclaimed. “If we simply had more reinforcements, then I truly believe something like this wouldn't happen!”

“Enough!” Shell growled. “We are not approaching the Council! We are alone in this hunt! We always have been! The target and her companions are my responsibility! If this wasn't the case, the powers that be in Ledo's upper echelon would not have tasked me with ensuring the Confederacy's security!”

Just then, an explosion of steam and dust lit up within the center of the multiple manadrills. Enforcers lifted the machines as they shouted over the bedlam. “We've broken through! We've broken through!”

“The old city sewers are accessible, sir!”

Shell nodded slowly, then peered over at Evans. “Enforcer, here are your orders.” He pointed. “You are to take to the skies and collect a contingent of our largest zeppelins. Position them east while ordering the managlider squadrons to maintain their patrol along the north, west, and south ends of Blue Nova. Then, once you have your armada in position, lay siege to this... 'entrance,' until you have exposed the chamber within. Investigate, and keep me updated the whole time via sound stones. If you meet any resistance whatsoever from the interior to this hidden domain, I want you to answer them with all of the ordinance at your disposal. Do I make myself clear?”

“Sir...” The lieutenant gawked at that last order. “But... wh-what if it's just citizens or factory workers down there?”

Shell glared past him and spoke closely to Evans. “Do I make myself clear?”

Evans gulped and nodeed. “Perfectly, sir. I shall execute your orders as commanded.”

“As well as you should.” Shell trotted coldly past the lieutenant, causing the stallion to shudder. “I'm counting on you, enforcer. If Nightshade is indeed keeping a secret base down there, we mustn't allow her to stage a hasty retreat from this city, not until she has answered for her illicit activities.”

“Sir, could...” Evans shifted where he stood. “Could the sewers somehow be connected to this chamber we've discovered? Could that be where the zebra with the manasphere has gone?”

“That's what I intend to find out.” Shell levitated a pair of manarifles and loaded them with crystal ammo. A company of soldiers flocked around him and the fresh holes made in the street. “Form your blockade. Mind the door. If worse comes to worse, I'll at least be flushing our targets towards you.” He strapped the weapons to his uniform and motioned the ponies to follow him. “One way or another, our targets shall discover that there is no escape. Now, let's move.”

Shell dropped down into the corridors below, and several armed soldiers followed with him.

PreviousChapters Next