• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,079 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,079

PreviousChapters Next
Cracks and Fissures

He trotted out of the woods, his breath awash with the scents of autumn. His eyes narrowed as he drank in the melting hues of sunset across the golden country. In a straight line, he trotted forward, approaching the heart of a quiet village lying in the emerald valley. Ponies shuffled from store to store on either side of him. Not a single one dared to lift their head and gaze into his face.

He rounded Main Street, taking a right and hiking down a winding gravel road that led towards a grassy knoll full of two story houses. Fresh flowers hung out of every windowsill, dancing in the breeze. As he trotted up the hillside, the setting sun glinted off his polished metals. Several ponies who were lazing on their front patios took sight of him and ended their conversations, trotting briskly into their separate buildings.

At last, he went around a familiar bend around a familiar oak tree. A cottage loomed before him, hanging in the shadow of a mountain that loomed beyond. There was a break in the heavens, and a swath of light illuminated the bright mane of a filly playing in the front yard. She took one look at him, gasped, and waddled up to the edge of the road.

“Daddy! Daddy!” She pounced on him, instantly knocking off his beret as she nuzzled his neck. “You're home! You were gone so long! I knew you'd come back!”

“I had to return,” he said. As if catching how dull and lifeless his voice was, he cleared his throat and knelt down to caress her cheek. “Of course I came back, darling. Our kingdom is... built around the home, after all.”

“Did you have any new adventures lately, Daddy?!” She asked with bright eyes. “Huh?”

“I...” He bit his lip. “Not this time, honey...”

“Awwww... You mean none? How boring!”

“I'll... uhm...” He tried to smile, but all he could do was wince. “I have to pry my memory. I'm sure I'll come up with some tales... to... tell...” He looked up.

A mare with a golden coat stood quiet and emotionless in the doorframe.

His nostrils flared as every limb locked up.

The filly glanced back and forth. Her mouth pursed open. “Are you and Mommy mad at each other?”

He unclenched his jaw just enough to say, “Go play with the neighbors, sweetheart.” His horn flickered once, and he felt the shape of the military orders bundled in his vest pocket. “Your mother and I have a long, long talk ahead of us...”

“Daddy?”

He trotted forward.

“Daddy...?”

He clenched his teeth.

The mare in the doorway crept back into the shadows. “Beloved, just promise me, that when this is over...” A voice echoed out. It was accompanied by a puddle of blood, running down the doorsteps and into the garden. “You won't do to her what you've done to me."

He stood in place, hyperventilating. One eye clenched shut, and he spun around to look.

A wave of water rushed in from behind, slamming his body awake.

Shell gasped as he was dragged against a wall of brick. He kicked against the currents, thrashing and bobbing for air. At last, the rest of his senses kicked in, and beyond the exploding pain he found the will to illuminate his horn. He saw bubbles and more bubbles, but his trained eye followed the direction they were going. He paddled after them, eventually bursting through the surface of the raging stream with a gasping breath.

Shivering from the freezing currents, Shell looked every which way. He was swiftly blurring down a dark tunnel. The walls all around him were fashioned out of decrepit brick: very likely the construction from Blue Nova's olden days. The stallion tested his own knowledge of vintage Ledomaritan architecture, and he kicked along with the currents, keeping his gaze focused to his left.

Sure enough, after forty feet, he came upon a series of stone ridges leading up to a partition that jutted up and away from the currents. At the top of this niche was a stone door. The difficulty in opening it was a faint concept to him; all that mattered was getting there.

Splitting the rapids with bursts of telekinesis, the enforcer managed to steer himself towards his target. When he reached it, he lunged up with both forelimbs, forgetting at the last second that his cast had shattered.

“Aaaaaugh!” he yelped out loud, his face muscles clenching from the stabbing pain in his broken limb. “Nnnngh—Sp-Spark!” After a few heaving breaths, he finally threw himself up onto the topmost stone peak of the platform, rolling over until he rested on his back, cradling his battered hoof.

He lay there for a great deal longer than he would have wished, his body awash in enough sweat and slime that it excused what happened next.

He brought his good forelimb over his scarred face, seething, clenching his teeth together so that a single squeak couldn't escape. After several vomitous seconds, he fought back the sobs, and the hauntingly warm voices disappeared with them. When he brought his forelimb down, his face was yet again the utter definition of icy.

He stood up, hobbled about, and trained his horn on the door. Halfway through opening it, Shell whipped out his sound stone, shook it until it glowed, and spoke firmly into the shard.

“This is Prime Enforcer Shell. I am alive. I need an update on the situation...”

PreviousChapters Next