• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,080 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,080

PreviousChapters Next
Dash of Restraint

"The sequencing... snkkt..." Nightshade hissed, struggling in the golden forelimbs wrapped about her head and neck. "It's... it's polluted your consciousness, Doctor. You resisted the spheres so stubbornly and for so long; you are suffering from rapid disconnect."

"Quiet!" Bellesmith growled into the mare's ears. She shoved Nightshade up against a wall and growled into her ears, "The only suffering that's been inflicted has all been on account of you! You abducted me! You tortured my mind!"

"I... was willing... to facilitate... a seperate peace, f-for information!"

"You're a sadist!" Belle shrieked. "When did you do it, huh?! When did you kidnap me?! Was it after I fled the facility?! It was when I fell asleep in the alleys, wasn't it?!"

"You had to be found. I couldn't afford to let you leave Blue Nova," Nightshade grunted, still writhing in the frenzied mare's grasp. Her voice reverberated off the metal walls of the room. "The knowledge I seek is too precious. More than you. More than that mercenary—"

"Where is he?!" Belle bent Nightshade's back at a painful angle, causing the mare to wince. "Where do you have Phoenix?! Is he alive somewhere?! Or was that just another lie you fed me in the sequence?!"

"His role in all of this is done..." Nightshade sneered, her face covered in sweat. "All of our lives are forfeit if the experiment doesn't fall through!"

"Why?! What is so Spark-forsaken important that you would do such horrible things to innocent ponies?!"

"You broke into my lab, pilfered through company documents, infiltrated the server, disturbed my foals—"

"You stole children from their parents, persecuted non-pony citizens, built a built a death mill in the depths of Deep Ridge!"

"My purpose is to bring rebirth to this continent!" Nightshade sputtered. "Just as it is your will to bring wind back to the wings of Austraeoh!"

"And that sanctifies using your brother's tortured memory like butchered meat?!"

"Nnnngh—!" With a sudden show of force, Nightshade furiously bucked Belle off of her. The mare stumbled back, only to receive a swift kick to the chest. Grunting, she rolled to the floor.

By the time she looked up, Nightshade had flung a secret panel open beneath her sequencing bed and produced a mana-powered taser. She raised the thing threateningly to Belle's muzzle.

"How dare you..." Nightshade sneered down at her. Both ponies squared off, glaring, with the taser's electric blue dance reflecting off their identical horn-stubs. "Novus is no mere tool; he is a tragedy, the one sacred soul I cannot save. His memory is apart from his body, forever separated by a horrible schism that should never have been. When his military detachment blew open a piece of the earth, the glory of this hidden world was exposed to the battlefield, but Novus was in no position to grace such beauty. He was battered, broken, and thrown apart into a hundred pieces. What lies in the infirmary of my building is simply a vessel for the life I hope to return to him, to return to all of us. It is the very same life that has been denied for decades by this insufferable war!"

"The red flame... that's in your building..." Belle murmured aloud. Her anger drained as her face stretched in shock. "By the Spark, you f-found it! When the Ledomaritan army shelled a part of the battlefield, the machine world must have somehow opened up and exposed the flame to ponydom." She gulped and muttered, "You found it, and you brought it here... like just another laboratory experiment..."

"The experiment is a means to salvation," Nightshade said, pressing Belle back by aiming the taser to her throat. "By understanding more about it, by harnessing the power held within, I can return it back east to the exposed chamber of the machine world—completely renewed—and we can bring back a glory that predated time, that predated suffering, and that predated war."

"And Prime Enforcer Seclorum..." Belle's brow furrowed as she backed up against a door. Rhythmic knocking sounds rattled from the other side, but she kept her sight set on the pony pressing a taser to her throat. "What part does he play in this? He brought you the flame, didn't he?" She frowned hard. "Does he even know that you're using abducted children to tap into the secrets of the flame?"

"Up until now, it's all I've had to rely on," Nightshade said. "But then you came along, Doctor. You're more important in this search for truth than a hundred dead pegasi. You've met a living, breathing protector of the flame. Wherever she is, there's enough of her imprint—the spirit of Austraeoh—that exists inside of you. You're not just Eljunbyro. Don't you see? You're an emissary for the truth of the old world to make itself manifest in the new one!"

"You and I are just broken fragments of something far too powerful and important for us alone," Belle said. "Rainbow Dash is the mare that matters. She is the one who can bring the spark back to this world! Not us!"

"But you're wrong, doctor!" Nightshade insisted, her face awash with sweat and sincerity. "It's up to us to make a difference! We can't keep sitting on our flanks, waiting uselessly for epic heroes to come and save this world! Our fate is in our own hooves! If we want to save the world, we must do it on our own! With the tools that are given us! With the crimes of war stacking up so high that soon we may never be able to redeem ourselves!"

Belle replied, "You cannot perform crimes without becoming a criminal. You're worse than any bloodlusting Enforcer I've ever met. You do horrible things and excuse it as righteousness, constantly blaming a supposedly worse evil as if it can pardon your atrocities. Your ignorance has blinded you, Nightshade, and it will damn you in the end."

A tear rolled down Nightshade's cheek. "I've lost my family, Doctor; I am already damned." She sniffled, but then bore a resolute frown. "But if I must soak in that curse, then I shall, and see to it that the world and its future is blessed."

"But how?!" Belle slowly stood up, wary of the taser matching her body. Her eyes darted between the sparkling weapon and the wielder's vulnerable face. "How can what you're doing to the flame possibly do any good?"

"That's where I need your help, Doctor," Nightshade said. "Please, do not resist me anymore. Do not fight me, nor what I have to do. Allow me to show you what I have learned about the old world, and the other machine worlds that were once joined with it. With so much war and wasteland ripping Ledomare asunder, it's up to ponies like us to find paradise, and that all starts with the flame."

Belle glanced at the table where the ancient tome lay. She looked back at Nightshade. "What makes you think, after all that has happened, that I would actually be foolish enough to assist you?"

Nightshade's tone was cold as she said, "I am not the only pony who has lost family, Doctor. I suspect that you are damned too."

The hairs on the back of Belle's neck stood on end. Her eyes instantly moistened as she thought of his wailing cry, falling into the distance.

"There is no peace for us," Nightshade said. "No paradise. We can only give what we can to the world, even if it means giving up ourselves."

Belle gasped to let loose the lump in her throat. She ran a hoof over her face and stared down into the shadows of the room.

"The Spark has always been missing, and it is up to us to do something about it." Nightshade leaned her head to the side as she started lowering the taser. "Tell me, Doctor, would you be willing to finally bring glory back to this world?"

PreviousChapters Next