• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,080 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,080

PreviousChapters Next
You Going Somewhere?

"So, what you're saying..." Rainbow Dash leaned against a medical table as she continued a quiet conversation. "...is that Roarke is kind of a big deal..." She fidgeted, her blue brow furrowed. "...but she's not?"

"She certainly has taken her sweet time in getting into as high a position as she now occupies," Imre replied, slapping together the mechanical parts to an intensely complicated helmet. "She's a good fighter and a bringer of bounties, but more than anything—she knows how to use her head. That's why she's still alive while so many other bloodthirsty metal mares have died... horrifically."

"You sure about that?"

"Of course I am. I've had to harvest their friggin' organs."

"No no..." Rainbow Dash shook her head, wincing from her bandaged left wing. "I mean about Roarke being smart and all."

"You have any evidence to tell me she isn't very clever?"

"Well..." Rainbow Dash smirked. "She did go up against me."

"Intelligence is hard to measured when it's scaled up against the unknown."

"Yeah, well, she certainly did have a lot of tricks up her sleeve," Rainbow Dash muttered as she began pacing around the sealed off infirmary. "The biggest of which was ensnaring all of my pals."

Imre glanced over from her telekinetically-assisted hoofwork. "Hmm?"

"She used my closest companions as bait to lure me into a fight."

"Metal mares will do what they can to get the job done."

"Yeah, well, if she fits the bill so nicely..." Rainbow Dash squinted over. "Why'd she go out on a limb to bring you back from the territory of these Xonan dudes?" She gulped. "And why'd she bring me here to get all bandaged up?"

"Maybe she thinks it'll serve her own purposes in the end."

"That's a real flank-over-elbow way of getting something like that done."

"Look, I don't know, alright?!" Imre growled, glaring at her. "I'm not the expert on everything Roarke!"

"Why not?!"

"I'm not her friend..."

"Aren't you?" Rainbow Dash uttered with a smirk.

Imre was silent.

"I mean, you're a unicorn," Rainbow Dash continued, shrugging. "Seems like you and I are supposed to be lower than dirt to these bounty hunters, and yet you both chat it up like you're meeting here on a weekly basis to go bowling."

"She and I are not friends.... it's... it's..." Imre sighed. "It's complicated."

Rainbow Dash blinked. She trotted over by the medic's side. "Just what were you doing in so far east to begin with?"

"Hmmm?"

"In 'Xonan Country' or what have you. Were you kidnapped or something?"

"No. I went there on my own."

Rainbow Dash did a double-take. "You defected from Ledomare?"

"No, I was..." Imre sighed. "I was wandering..."

"Into friggin' enemy territory?!"

"Look... You're a winged horse!" She scoffed at Rainbow. "And you don't see me asking about where you came from!"

"I've traveled a long way from home, but at least I knew to expect the unexpected! You were born in the Confederacy, right?"

"Mmmm... yes..."

"Then surely you must have known that you were trotting into some bad news!"

"It didn't matter much."

"Why?" Rainbow Dash blinked. "Were you trying to get away from something?"

Imre opened her mouth. She lingered, then said in a cold tone, "Something like that, yes."

"You think you're better off now?" Rainbow droned, then gestured towards the cold, brightly-lit walls surrounding them. "And right here?"

"It doesn't matter..."

"Sure it does!" Rainbow Dash barked. "It's your life! You obviously do a lot of snazzy stuff here! You should be proud of yourself and all that jazz!"

"Look, will you just can it?!" Imre turned and glared at her. "Sheesh, what's your deal? You're worse than... Roarke..."

The two mares hung in silence. They avoided each other's gaze.

Eventually, it was Rainbow Dash who spoke. "So... uh... She's been summoned by a really important metal mare. That means she's moving on up, right?"

"I doubt it."

"Oh?"

Imre slowly shook her head, returning to the helmet assemblage. "If she wanted to move on all the way up, she would have done so ages ago."

"Wouldn't the mares just force it upon her if that's what they wanted?"

"I'm not sure they know what they want," Imre said. "Lady Pestiferous wants one thing. The top blades want something else..."

"And what about Roarke?" Rainbow asked. "What does she want?"

Imre sighed. "I think she wants the same thing you and I apparently want." She turned around with a dull gaze. "She wants to get away from something..."

PreviousChapters Next