• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,079 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,079

PreviousChapters Next
The Loathe Boat

A sparkling mana torch ate and ate away at the purple links of the cuffs. At last, the energy field binding them together shorted out. Josho's and Eagle Eye's legcuffs fell, rattling loudly atop the Steel Wing's deck. Captain Filta's hooves shuffled to a stop beside them.

"Prime Enforcer Shell has personally taken on a mission to scout out Blue Nova ahead of us."

Josho looked up, rubbing his aching forelimb from where the metal had been rubbing into it for hours on end.

"Has he now? The one eyed bugger..."

"Indeed..." The captain nodded with a furrowed brow. "We're presently en route to join him there at the maretropolitan city. It would appear that Nightshade Industries may be harboring fugitives... not to mention dire secrets."

"Dire secrets, you say..." Josho gulped.

He watched as two crew members took the handcuffs and manatorch, trotting towards a compartment below the northbound airship's deck. As his head turned, he caught sight of Eagle Eye seated beside him. The petite unicorn was forced to stretched his forelimbs out, allowing two enforcers to re-bind the legs that had just recently been relieved of the Killas' manacles.

Josho clenched his jaw. He fidgeted before saying, "But what about that pegasus? Y'know, the rainbow jackass that started this whole glittery parade?" He looked up at Filta again, squinting in the sunlight. "Aren't we trying to find her?"

"She's proven time and time again to be far too elusive for normal capture."

"You can say that again, air legs." Josho stood up, winced, and smirked awkwardly. "No offense."

Filta merely sighed.

Josho paced, stretching his unbound forelimbs. "So, what then? We're chasing after bright paint buckets and hanging them from the ship's bow in hopes they'd attract her out from hiding?"

"This is why I do so hate giving you briefings, Mr. Josho. You're rarely ever sober."

"Prime Enforcer Josho, bucko. And I'm not even remotely drunk."

"Then why is it that you were found with this traitor clinging to you?" Filta raised an eyebrow. "There's not a Spark's chance he would have overpowered you. Obviously you kept him alive."

"Of course I did..." Josho said, his tone sharp and to the point. He looked at Filta with a perpetual glare. "He's a prisoner of war. His fate is up to the Council, not the whim of one Enforcer..." He stifled a burp and waved his forelimb around. "No matter how pissed off he may have gotten at the little grape stain from time to time."

"It's refreshing to see you function by protocol for once," Filta said in a neutral voice. "Even if it's the wrong one."

"The flippin' heck are you going on about?"

"Shell has made it clear, time and time again, that the danger these renegades pose is not to be tolerated." Filta motioned in the direction of Eagle Eye. "The target is to be acquired at all costs, otherwise any and all of her allies' lives are forfeit."

Josho slowly, slowly nodded. "Right. Well... I guess I was off my A-game."

"It matters little. Your contributions, however meager, will be of aid to our search, I'm sure."

"Hey..." Josho smirked bitterly. "I'm not dead. That's gotta count for more than 'meager,' don't you think?"

"Shell's plan continues, undaunted, with or without the part that you have played."

"Yeah, well, it was Shell who personally decided to toss me into a canyon to my not-so-sexy death," Josho grumbled. "Or did he neglect to mention that?"

Filta turned to stare at Josho evenly. "Did you give him a reason to?"

Josho blinked. "Pffft... Did I?" He almost chuckled, but then blinked. Slowly, he pivoted his head aside.

Over a dozen crew ponies had stopped what they were doing to stare at him.

Biting his lip, Josho turned back to Filta, only to see that the Captain's emotionless expression had not changed.

"Ahem..." Josho shifted his weight from one leg to the other. "I... uh... I was really close to the target, and there was this horrible scuffle on the cliff side." He winced, avoiding the Captain's gaze. "I guess, in all of the craziness, I... I-I must have... uh... mistakenly thought that the Prime Enforcer had tossed me into the ravine deliberately..."

Eagle Eye glanced over, his lips pursed as his ears twitched upon hearing that.

Filta took a breath before saying, "Well, we all make mistakes. Some more than others. Alas, a day that one less soldier is dead is always a good one. I suspect you'll want to get some rest in your cabin?"

"You can friggin' say that again..." Josho wearily rubbed his temple.

"Right. I do suggest we converse later once you're well-rested." Filta paced across the deck towards the port side. "We'll need every available hoof at the battlestations. If Shell indeed finds the zebra hiding in Blue Nova, then we're only bound to summon the target by whatever bizarre energy binds her to such a companion."

Eagle Eye gasped, his purple eyes twitching. "Zebra...?"

"Wait..." Josho squinted. "Huh?"

"Hmmm?" Filta turned calmly about. "Oh, my apologies..." He sighed before saying, "It's come to our attention that the blind zebra companion who was with the target has survived his last encounter with the Steel Wing. He was last seen with another fugitive, in flight to Blue Nova, along with his manatechnology. That's why Shell went to investigate. Once we've acquired the suspect, we'll begin our search west for his beloved and mercenary last seen due west—"

Josho barked, "Yeesh, you melon fudges have been dropping suspects left and right! What gives?"

But Eagle Eye was jumping up, shouting, "Pilate's alive?! And Belle?!" He seethed through clenched teeth. "No! You leave them alone! Haven't you done enough?!" Two stallions gripped him from behind. "Nnngh!" He shook and struggled. "Don't hurt them!"

"Soldiers..." Filta grunted aside.

A stallion trotted up and slammed his hoof hard in Eagle Eye's chest.

"Ooommmf!" Eagle Eye wheezed, slumping over with tearing eyes.

"Hey!" Josho grunted. "That's enough!"

Filta stepped closer to the obese stallion. "Are you... speaking to the traitor or to my crew, Prime Enforcer?"

Josho sweated, saying nothing.

As Eagle Eye was hauled downstairs towards teh bridge, he hissed and sobbed, "Josho! Please! Don't let them do this! Don't let them get Belle and her beloved! They'll torture them! Josho—" His voice was cut off as he was flung into the shadows below deck.

Josho stood, panting heavily.

"You've been through a lot, Josho," Filta said, daring to rest a hoof on the burly pony's shoulder. "Get some sleep. Clear your mind. If nothing else, I'm going to need your experience to lend Shell some aid." He trotted towards the bow of the ship.

"My... experience..." Josho gulped, standing alone as the whipping winds of the high altitude kicked at his graying mane. "Right... for what it's worth..."

PreviousChapters Next