• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,074 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,074

PreviousChapters Next
Mother, May I?

A deep, bass hum filled the hollow of the circular platform as Lady Pestiferous and Roarke road the cylinder to the top. High above them, an open chamber flickered with torchlight, and a loud, booming chant echoed in greater and greater clarity.

"Tell me, Roarke mosssssshht Rare," spoke Pestiferous. "Do you remember the ssssshound of your mother's voice?"

Roarke's ears drooped instantly beneath her helmet. Nevertheless, she maintained serious airs, standing up straight as she spoke firmly, "My mother is as dead to me as every husk full of blood that I have hunted down in these lands."

"Ssssshhhpoken like a true warrior," Pestiferous hissed. "Full of pomp and cold-heartednessssshhh."

Roarke's lenses rotated out. "My Lady...?"

"I remember my mother," the masked matriarch said. She bowed on bony, arachnid limbs as her mucousy eyes squinted into the gathering torchlight. "Two hundred yearsssssshh ago, like a chiseled face at the top of a deep well, glissssshtening in firelight. She was swift, bold, adventurous. She would have been proud to see me reach top sssssshpear."

"With all due respect, My Lady..." Roarke fidgeted. "I really don't think you should be talking about—"

"And why not?" She turned to stare down Roarke. "Hckkkt! I gave her a proud ending. As did mosssssssht of us. The only way her glory ended was because I made it end. As did Terra with her mother."

Roarke's nostrils flared as she glanced down at the platform lifting them up towards the ceiling. "You were honorable, respectful warriors."

"Not all daughterssssssh of Searo are capable of ripping apart the meat that stands between them and the goddessssshhh." Pestiferous' eyes narrowed above her mask. "Has this alwayssssshhh bothered you, child?"

"I did not dwell upon it," Roarke said in a muttering tone. "For all my young life as a half-blade, I was perceived as a spineless runt, a weakling for not having the chance to do what you and Terra had done. I was told I would never make it to being a high blade."

"What empowered you, then?"

Roarke took a deep breath and grunted, "The hunt. Chasing my own regrets had no purpose. All I needed was bounties and blood. I've kept my life one of firm, unwavering action."

"And yet, there's a part of you that's misssssshhhing, a part that makes what comesssssh next so challening..."

Roarke glanced up at her as the cylinder reached the top chamber. "My Lady?"

Pestiferous' joints glistened in the torchlight as she had to hiss above the heavy chants wafting in from the short corridor ahead of them. "If you had the opportunity to do that which wasssssh never given to you as a half-blade, would you leap upon it?"

Roarke opened her mouth, hesitated, and ultimately said, "I don't see how it would help me at all—"

"Don't you?" Pestiferous glanced back at her as she strode on quivering, spindle limbs down the corridor. The chanting grew louder and louder. "Over the passssssht two centuries, twelve of my daughtersssssh tried to become top blade through me. All of them failed. I am not ashamed to say this. I still keep the rusted daggerssssssh stained with their blood in my bedchamber."

"I'm afraid that I do not have any daughters to challenge me, My Lady."

"And yet, on occasion, Ssssshearo—in all her glory—gives us preciousssssssh distractions." Pestiferous emerged with Roarke onto a balcony overlooking a grand, circular arena carved into the heart of the mountain. Surrounding the steep walls of the killing floor, hundreds of metal mares stood upon the steps, chanting one word and one word alone, over and over again. "And now, we ssssshall see the degree to which those distractionssssssh weigh on you, and I will know if you are indeed fit to challenge her."

"Challenge who?" Roarke asked.

"Why, Roarke most Rare," chanted a deep, deep voice behind her. "I thought you were alive because you were the smartest of us all?"

Roarke's hair rose beneath her armor. She slowly turned around, her lenses extending like daggers. "Terra..."

A large, behemoth of a mare sat on the balcony to the left of Pestiferous. She smirked down at the smaller bounty hunter. "Are you ready for a fine show, old friend?"

"I thought you were out on the hunt—" Roarke began, but stopped in mid sentence. Her lenses drew back as her lips pursed open. Slowly, she swiveled to face Pestiferous. "What is this? What is going on?"

"You're a patient one, Roarke," Pestiferous hissed as she sat down slowly in the biggest seat on the balcony. Gesturing with a spidery hand towards the arena, she silenced the chanting crowds and growled, "Have a sssssssheat, and watch the last of the ashes burn away."

PreviousChapters Next