• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,076 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,076

PreviousChapters Next
Bellesmith Trots East

For Bellesmith, it had been a full, exhausting day.

It started with her trek through the forests of northern Ledomare. The initial leg of the journey didn't last long, and while it did, it amounted to nothing more than a distraught lurch through a sea of threadbare trees. The trunks of coniferous flora loomed on either side of her like gray bodies in the starlight. The burning wreckage of the enforcers' hovercraft had been left far behind, so the only sound was the stammering cadence of her own breaths. She kept her eyes forward the whole time, however, with the hazy glow of Blue Nova looming over the dark blue horizon. Sooner than she had hoped, the dim image turned blurry. She bequeathed it a fainting sigh and fell forward into a sea of leaves.

When she came to, the faint glow of morning danced along the east horizon. It woke up a fluttering sensation in her chest. Belle blinked the tiredness away from her eyes, and when she did so she saw flickers of alien landscapes, sprinkled with the color of familiarity. She envisioned marshlands, forests, lakebeds, mountains, deserts, wastelands—places she had never before scaled, and yet she had lived all of those sojourns in some phantom reality. It engergized her all the same.

Belle stood up, and it was as if an otherworldly energy was empowering her. If the world was a machine, then she could just as easily have been a part of it; she was moving with the same purpose and regularity.

It brought her down a sloping hillside and into a grand valley full of sweeping pastures. Thin dirt roads weaved their humble way north and south, lined by brown wooden fences worn with time. The highways were a welcome reprieve from the sterile rigidity that was typical of facilities constructed by the Council of Ledo. Belle even swore she saw a cottage or two bordering the paths, their stonemason chimneys brimming with smoke and filling the landscape with the happy scent of family breakfast.

Her stomach gurgled, but there was no time for delay. Something urged Belle eastward, and every time she paused to glance at the ancient tome nestled in her saddlebag, the symbol on the front cover was glowing brighter and brighter with lavender luminescence. Suddenly, sleep and hunger were elements of another world. She trotted swiftly, and still it wasn't a quick enough stride for her liking. She found herself leaping dramatically high each time she had to scale a fence or a rock or a stream. The hairs on the sides of her body rose on end, as if something deep beneath her flesh was desperate to grow feathers and send her towards the horizon even faster.

All the while, the body of Blue Nova lingered like a gray cloud above the woods, hills, and thickets before her. Looking at it stole the breath from Belle's lungs. As much as she was drawn to the place, her heart didn't rejoice at the thought of arriving there. The largest city she had ever been in was Blue Pulse, and that was barely a step up from the dense, affluent districts of Mountainfall. Large cities meant large clusters of Ledomaritan Enforcers. If she was smart—if she respected her own safety at all—then she would have ventured somewhere west and hidden herself in the farmlands north of Green Slope Province.

But she couldn't very well do that. So much had been taken from her life—far too much to dwell on—and all that she could do to preserve her sanity was to ignore it, to do that which was mad, to do that which was impulsive... much like a certain prismatic pegasus.

There were times when Belle wondered, when the quickening of her pulse caught up with her, if Rainbow Dash was alive or not. She was in as bad straits as Belle had been in—if not worse—the last time she saw her. If one of them was to die, would the other feel it? Belle didn't know—she didn't understand anything. All she could do was move, and she did so swiftly, traveling northeast through the trees and paths and villages that stretched before her.

Though she covered much ground, it was hardly a graceful journey. She stopped many times to avoid detection. It wasn't just Enforcers that she steered away from, but merchants and families and even picniccers as well. At one point, Belle hid beneath in the shadow of a river bridge, waiting as an entire line of monks passed by, their chants filling the air with melodic tonality.

They were ponies from the far north: Mint Province, she suspected. Most of the unicorns who dwelled there had a unique, zealous view of the Spark. Generations upon generations of religious Mintians believed that the Spark could only be understood through a divine experience achieved through deep meditation. Most Ledomaritans were wary of Mintian culture, mostly because the Xonans were infamous for having similar religious creeds. However, Mint Province was also a major source of ore deposits that were essential for crafting the metal used in building the Queen's numerous airships, so very little was done to upset the Mintian way of life.

For a while there, Bellesmith closely observed the monks as they passed by, catching glimpses of their shaved manes beneath the veils of their cloaks. A sigh escaped her lips as she imagined how bittersweet and peaceful existence it must have been to live so piously, so peacefully. So solitarily...

She winced and shook the thoughts before they could make her heart sink any harder. When the line of zealots passed by, she galloped out of hiding, crossed the bridge, and continued on her trek.

Most of the paths were bending sharper eastward. There was a reason for this: a solid wall of steep, craggy mountains lingered ahead. Without wings, Belle had no choice but to follow the highways. The symbol glowed a little less brightly as her angle of trotting changed, but it mattered little. Blue Nova remained in her sight, and it only became more and more majestic. Even from miles away, the levels of the city glittered in amazing clarity. The skyrises were beautiful but disjointed things, and if it weren't for the assistance of manacrystals, it was quite possible that several of the buildings would have collapsed into the lower districts below. However, the structures remained aloft, and for a good purpose too: they provided several canals and bridges through which airships could pass by and dock, providing supplies and services from all corners of the Confederacy.

It filled Belle with equal wonder and sullen thought: that a nation capable of so much beauty would also harbor so much evil. The doctor in her—the part of her that still saw things rationally and objectively—had to acknowledge the fact that a country built out of nefarious things didn't necessarily have to be populated by malevolent citizens. Every neighbor that she had ever had—from Mountainfall to Blue Shelf—were genuinely kind, honest, and well-to-do ponies. She had only ever benefited from knowing them, and she was certain that if they knew about the sorts of projects that the Council of Ledo had funded, they too would have been filled with as much horror and disgust as she had been.

A part of her even dreamed—in a fleeting breath of afternoon exhaustion—that the populace of the Confederacy might someday learn everything that she, Crimson, and Professor Garnet had discovered in their less-than-cheerful experiences with the inner workings of the Queen's system. She wondered what kind of a future that would ensure the nation, and if it would be a good one. With the Xonans constantly knocking on the eastern front, would it be a good time for such infallible truth to challenge the Confederacy's solidarity?

Belle grumbled—more than once. She wondered if Rainbow Dash's head were ever filled with this much thinking, but she knew better. No matter how many memories they shared, how much pain or loss, nothing could quite make them similar. Rainbow Dash would always be faster than the likes of Bellesmith, and the unicorn knew that it was more than wings that gave the pegasus her energy. Something empowered, something beyond this world and the realms beyond. In spite of all Belle had learned, she realized she had only ever brushed against the surface of reality. What lay beyond the lingering veil of obscurity was something too bright to look at, she imagined, and it gave an extra jump to Belle's pulse as she practically galloped into the melting shadows of a lazy sunset.

When the day had come to an end, Belle was stumbling—hobbling, actually—through a thin line of trees nestled between two tiny villages. A puttering noise sounded overhead, and she realized that she was close enough to the fringes of Blue Nova that she was within earshot of merchant zeppelins descending upon the outer walls of the city. She suspected that another ten straight hours of trotting might even bring her to the gates of the metropolis.

This didn't enthuse her as much as she thought it should have. The fact of the matter was that an entire day had gone by, during which Belle hadn't enjoyed a bite to eat or a drop of water. It didn't help that the previous two days of hectic fugitivism hadn't afforded her much nourishment as it was. She panted and stumbled with each trotting step now, and the lights flickering on in the windows of the nearby cottages streaked before her in a nauseous blur.

Belle was quickly realizing the folly in ever thinking she could make a trek comparable to Rainbow Dash's flight. Still, she would stop every now and then, taking a glance at the two tomes in her saddlebags. One: a scrapbook of familiar yet alien faces. Another: a menagerie of glowing symbols. Somewhere between the blurs—the hazy flicker of memories both true and false—she saw a haunting series of black and white stripes, and she felt like sobbing for the first time in hours.

Thankfully, something snapped her out of it. It was a scent—accompanied by a crackling noise. She snuck forward through a thick sea of underbrush. Just a few paces ahead of her, bright as a full moon, was a campfire. Several equine figures were seated around it, murmuring about one thing or another while they shared a broth of roasted potatoes. They were stallions, and they all wore dark blue uniforms with a symbol on it that Belle wasn't entirely familiar with—not that it mattered. Her eyes were locked on the kettle of food.

Her stomach growled, and she had to hug herself in a fetal position behind the bushes as she waited for the natural noise to come and go. She juggled her options, and not once did the outlook appear golden. For one, she could approach the ponies and simply ask for a civil share of the meal—but that might get her exposed to the local authorities. For another, she could play rogue and simply snatch a bite while the stallions weren't looking, but that seemed hardly a realistic prospect.

In the end, Belle relied on one question and one question alone: What would Rainbow Dash do? Almost immediately, Bell knew the answer, for it was always—never ceasingly—the single most dangerous and daring option.

And what was both amazing and sad was: she knew very well that she had very little left to lose. For once, she felt like she truly had wings.

Perhaps she was delirious. Perhaps she was dreaming. Nevertheless, Belle imagined for a moment that the wings were real, and she coiled them to her side so as not to make much noise as she waited for the stallions to look the other way... and then she crawled slowly through the underbrush and approached the camp...

PreviousChapters Next