• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,080 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,080

PreviousChapters Next
Light Your Way

Into the shadows of falling night, Bellesmith stumbled, alone and breathless. Even if she could see the path ahead of her, her sight would likely be blurred by the myriad of tears flowing out from her chestnut brown eyes. She sobbed openly, allowing her wailing voice to be carried in the cold winds blurring over the grassy Ledomaritan countryside.

She tilted her head up, lips quivering, and spied the stars flexing and spinning above her. Between blinks, she saw another life through a rosy-colored lens, filled with warm colorful faces, bright skies, merry songs, and friendly laughter.

She had lived between the ghostly parentheses of Rainbow Dash's past. Not once did Belle think that she'd ever truly relate to the daring pegasus' present.

Nevertheless, she closed her eyes, blissfully drowning herself in those colors. She imagined a mysterious land named Equestria, a place where ponies lived in harmony with nature, instead of warring murderously with one another. How odd it seemed that a place with such peace and tranquility could exist; how much more appropriate it was that such a thing would forever be alien to her, just as it had become alien to Rainbow Dash herself.

For a moment, she flew—just like the pegasus. However, when Belle's eyes reopened, she remembered that she didn't have any wings, so there was nothing to save her as she plunged blindly over the sharp edge of a steep hill.

"Ah!" Belle shrieked. The stars were apathetic to her resulting tumble. She rolled and spun and veritably cartwheeled downhill, finishing only when her body bumped brusquely into a dune of shifting soil. As soon as she came to a stop, the unclasped pouch of her saddlebag flew open.

Stirring painfully, Belle slowly sat up. She gazed down at the multiple contents lying in disarray. They were not her things, but they belonged to a lifeless phantom nonetheless. She picked up one artifact after another, imagining Rainbow Dash's hooves having grazed the surfaces of the objects on dozens if not hundreds of occasions. She sighed when she folded the shredded remnants of a canvas blanket. She cracked a weak smile as she balanced a fragile pair of goggles in her hooves.

Then... her forelimbs cradled a book. From the touch of its rough texture, she knew without looking that the binding was dark green. However, the other haunted memories attached to the object were flimsy, fading away with each millisecond. She wasn't sure what motivated her, but she dared herself to open the book in trembling hooves.

The first of several glossy faces stared at her. She knew that the friendly ponies were bright and colorful, but it was too dark under the Ledomaritan sky to see so much as a single hue. Instead, every image of every face flickered beneath her in monochromatic haze, and when she flipped through the pages in rapid fashion, they resembled black and white stripes.

That was when she utterly collapsed. Belle hugged the book to her chest, hyperventilated, and sobbed until the tears soaked every end of her golden face. She cried until the pain had risen out of her lungs and burned its way into her throat and mouth, reminding her of the lips she would never again have the grace of touching, of the voice that would no longer whisper lovingly into her ears.

Several minutes passed, and her body had begun rocking, attempting to shake loose the dead past that belonged to her and Rainbow Dash all the same. It was exhaustion that persuaded her—and not sorrow—to finally relinquish hold of the book. So, with gentle grace, she reached back, opened the saddlebag, and slid the book in.

Belle froze.

Something inside the saddlebag was glowing.

A breath escaped her, the first solid exhale since she had begun sobbing like a lost little filly. She jabbed a hoof in and pulled out what turned out to be another book. This tome was also familiar, though it did not belong to Rainbow Dash—much less any pony—until just recently.

It was the ancient item that Belle's friend had grabbed from the pegasus skeleton deep in the cave just west of Foxtaur, though Belle was at a lost to recognize it. The binding was glowing, more specifically: a single symbol was growing. To Belle's studious eyes, it appeared to be a curved lantern shape with half the body of a solar crest on the top, separated by a jagged line in the center from a segmented crest on the bottom. She remembered the symbol from one of Pilate's many studies, only now it was glowing with bright, lavender luminescence.

"What... is this...?"

She tilted it higher, as if the starlight could somehow intensify the phenomenon better. To her surprise, the lavender glow dissipated.

"Huh?"

She lowered the book back, and she saw the symbol glowing again. Belle blinked, then resorted to pivoting the book left and right. She found that when she was aiming the book northeast, the symbol glowed the brightest, as if with some divine purpose.

Her brow furrowed, Belle glanced up towards the northeast horizon.

At first, she thought that she was staring at the dark outline of mountains in the haze of the Milky Way. But, as lights appeared in the heights of it—including several that were floating—she realized that it could only be the same urban sprawl that she had seen during her captive flight there.

"A maretropolis..." She thought aloud. She gulped. "Blue Nova. It has to be."

She glanced at the distant shape on the horizon, then back at the lavender resonance of the book in her grasp.

"What... in spark's name could be so important there?"

Several seconds passed. A minute. Three minutes.

There was no more time to sob, think, or doubt. With a tight-jawed expression, Bellesmith slid the book back into her saddlebag, stood up, and began trotting briskly forward, cutting a willful path through the darkness, heading towards the city on the horizon...

And towards purpose...

PreviousChapters Next