• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,075 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,075

PreviousChapters Next
Buck the Police

The high ranking enforcer trotted around and faced Phoenix and Bellesmith evenly. His gaze narrowed from beneath his beret. "Not only are you a long way from the monastery, but isn't the scheduled time of the week for Mintian proselytizing. Tell me, are you two lost from the order?"

Belle was currently biting her lip.

Phoenix leaned forward, tightening the folds of his hood. "We were told to go out and get medicine. One of our fellow layponies is ill with equine flu," he said, thinking on the spot. "Normally, we would stay inside, but, as you can see, this is an emergency."

"Indeed..." The enforcer slowly nodded his head. "And you cleared this with your Mintiam Quorum of Fellow Disciples?"

"Yes, sir," Phoenix said, nodding furiously. "Absolutely, sir."

"Lying is a sin, son," the enforcer said, his gaze cold and steelly. "I just made that up. There is no such thing as a 'Mintiam Quorum of Fellow Disciples.'"

Phoenix winced, his teeth gritting.

Bellesmith glanced nervously across the immediate crowd of guards. The stallions stared at the two strangers with shifty eyes. The sudden tension made the air stale, cold.

The lead enforcer took a deep breath and said, "Lower your hoods."

Phoenix and Bellesmith stood dead still.

The stallion's nostrils flared. He leaned forward, and his horn glowed with a bright pulse.

Both hoods of the ponies' cloaks were fiercely yanked down. Phoenix remained unmoving, but Belle couldn't control her sudden shivers.

A few stallions murmured at the sight of Belle's shattered horn as the stallion paced before them. "Well, you have the monk look right," he murmured aloud. "But not the demeanor nor the humility. It takes a great deal of intestinal fortitude to lie directly in the face of a uniformed guard of the Queen. I wonder, have you been in conflict with the enforces of this land before?"

The two remained mute.

"Because, as fate would have it, my stallions and I are on the lookout for two fugitives last seen somewhere west of here. These aren't normal ponies, mind you, but dangerous sociopaths with blood on their hooves. If they were so foolhardy to enter a major Ledomaritan maretropolis, attempting to blend in with the local color would be ideal. Wouldn't you think?"

Phoenix avoided his gaze, even as the stallion trotted up and loomed directly in front of him.

"If you are not in the mood to use your mouth, then maybe you can use your eyes." The enforcer gestured towards another stallion. A poster with two portraits was levitated into his magical grasp. "Tell me if these faces look familiar at all to you—"

"Mom! Dad!" A pale streak shot out of nowhere. "I finally f-found you!" On scampering hooves, Kera dashed over and nuzzled her cloaked self against the two jolting ponies. "Oh, blessed Minty! I'm so sorry for running away! I'll never leave you again! I promise!"

"What in Ledo's name—?" The prime enforcer gasped at her.

"Eeeek! No!" Kera shrieked, shooting a bolt of energy and crumpling the poster in one motion. To everypony's surprise, the little filly expertly tossed it over their flanks while clinging to Phoenix and Bellesmith. "Don't you know the Church of Minty hates looking at hoof-drawn illustrations?! It's a sin in the eyes of Minty Almighty!"

"I beg your pardon, little girl." The stallion frowned heavily. "But do you know these two?!"

"How can I not know my own Mom and Dad?!" Kera stuck her tongue out from under her hood. "Pfft! Even they are super stiff about religion and all! But hey! Minty isn't all playground games!"

"I... do not know this 'Minty' of whom you speak."

"Well, duh! That's because you're a guard and you don't get around much!" Kera tilted her chin up with a haughty expression. Her green eyes shone like gemstones beneath the shadow of her hood. "No wonder you never heard about the Church of Minty!"

"I do believe you're getting that confused with the Mintian Order."

"No, that's where you're confused, mule muffin eater!" she exclaimed, her voice cracking. "The Church of Minty is a brand new thing! It broke off from the Mintian Odo—"

"Order."

"—whatever! It's a new thing! And prophets of the Great and Powerful Minty totally answer to a Quorum! I mean, where have you been?!"

The stallions huddled against the buildingside murmured among each other. The prime enforcer took a deep breath, his jawline frowning viciously. "In all of my thirty years of keeping the peace within Blue Nova, I have never once heard of this Church of Minty."

"Hey, you're not missing much, lemme tell ya!" Kera cavorted around the two widely-blinking unicorns as she spoke in a sing-songy voice. "They read scripture all day and pray all night. They're not allowed to talk to heathens—that's you—cuz they have this vow of silence thingy. You don't get to take the vow until you're age twenty. Someday I'll be taking the vow and I'll be silent as a rusted bell! Isn't that cool?"

The enforcer's voice stifled a rising growl. "It sounds positively rapturous." He raised an eyebrow and pointed at the foal. "Child, I do not know what kind of a stunt you're trying to pull—"

"No stunts! Honest, mister flank-kicker in a beret, sir!" Kera grinned wide. "I've learned my lesson! The next time I run off without a warning, who's to know if my parents might get a stern lecture from a tall graying stallion whose face looks like it ran into one too many warfront catapults!"

"Buh?"

"So, I've come back to make amends!" She parted her cloak and levitated a peculiar tome with runic symbols covering its binding. "I brought back our scripture! The Book of Minty!"

"How..." The stallion blinked, his jaw hanging open. "...how, at your age, are you able to telekinetically control things?"

"Isn't it obvious?!" Kera giggled. "I have the best, most terrific parents in the world! Even if they're boring as rocks, they still love me! Heck, they taught me everything they know!" She twirled the book in the air and made it do twirls through invisible rings. "Tadaaaa!" She made the book flip, but in so doing, her horn erupted with a burst of uncontrollable magic. Her hood fell loose, revealing her pale coat and face covered with an elaborate array of dark, silver tattoos. "Er..." She blushed through her living tapestry. "...whoops?"

The surrounding enforcers gasped. Even a few citizens saw the sight and stammered breathlessly.

"Spark alive!"

"That child!"

"Why, it's... it's..."

"One of those savages!"

"A marauder from the East!"

"Ermm..." Kera winced, glancing nervously up at Bellesmith.

Belle's teeth chattered. She looked to her side—

"Hnnngh!" Phoenix was already charging forward. In one burst of magic, he had flung the full length of his cloak over the Prime Enforcer's head.

"Gaaah!" the old guard stumbled back.

Six more whipped out sparkling tasers—

Phoenix spun, this time yanking the cloak off Belle's gasping body and flinging it over all of the stallions before they could strike with their weapons. Before they could rip through the opaque fabric, Phoenix was dashing to his side, spinning around, and bucking both of his rear hooves into the prime enforcer's flank. The guard flew into his suborninates, and soon all of them were sprawling clumsily across the concrete.

"Whoah!" Kera squeaked, her lips curved. "That was wicked cool! You gonna stomp their skulls now or what?!"

"Move... move!" Phoenix grunted, shoving the filly and Belle down the nearest alleyway.

Kera yelped, but nevertheless broke into a frenzied gallop, laughing childishly. She dropped the old tome, which Bellesmith nervously gripped in her mouth before scampering desperately after her. Phoenix took up the rear, shoving loose wooden crates and bits of debris into the middle of the path behind them as they fled down the narrow corridor.

"Don't stop for nothing!" he shouted, his voice echoing through the dim light of sunset.

"Unless we can afford tooooo!" Kera's voice wafted back. She had a spring in her step as she melodically exclaimed, "Somepony knows a shortcutttttt!"

"A what?!"

"Hehe! Come on!" Kera dashed ahead of the two with nimble speed and a devilish grin. "Follow me if you wanna smell like garbage! Heeheehee!"

PreviousChapters Next