• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,080 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,080

PreviousChapters Next
Wind to Wings

So dark. So very dark.

And cold.

I could hear my own breathing. I wasn't sure why it frightened me at first.

But then I realized, as I had always realized, I was myself, and yet I was not.

Those hooves were mine, and yet they were not.

Everything was energy; everything was borrowed. The circle was a line and the line was a circle.

When I started to understand it, I began to shiver less.

But that didn't stop everything from feeling so cold.

When I first heard the voice, it was like a whisper. I had it confused with my own heartbeat. I heard it rising in volume, high-pitched, teetering on the edge of a tender breath.

"Nmmbiuliseth restul mellusuthien kuln meseludrusul innavedr rezolluth."

I fumbled in the darkness. I craned my neck, and realized that the voice was ahead of me. Nopony could be here unless they wanted to be here. And what they want was what they thought and what they thought was what they lived.

I thrust my hooves forward. I felt nothing.

I took a deep breath. I meditated.

I thrust my hooves forward again. I felt a matchbox.

Exhaling with relief, I took a match out and lit it. An amber blanket settled across the room, falling dimly across the plain white floor and walls.

I saw a colt sitting before me, his little body squatting in the middle of a glade of green grass spread around his side of the room. With gently glowing telekinesis, he plucked emerald blades out from the ground and tied them around each other like the fibers of ropes. At last, he set them ablaze, and layed the charred bits down in the shape of hauntingly familiar symbols.

He did not stop talking, not for one second.

"Hasuulun membraat li nulsun austraeoh rezzun thriesiul eljunbyro sajaalsun miul."

I blinked at him. I spoke aloud, "Austraeoh..."

The colt froze. Slowly, his head tilted up to meet my gaze. His face was covered in an intricate web of interconnected tattoos. Cold blue eyes reflected a golden mare with an intact horn. In a blink, she was replaced with stars.

I gulped and said, "I am Eljunbyro..."

He stared at me. Slowly, he shook his head. "No. You are not."

I felt my heart falling.

But then he said, "Not on your own, you're not."

I felt a lump forming in my throat as I said, "I am alone."

"The children are all lonely... for they are not whole." He continued manipulating blades of grass between us in the darkness. "Messul jaazaat diul mennoressu kun. Without wings, they spread. Messul drun diul harazzahm siel. Without a sea, they drifted. Messul carranar diul kuhleema drae. Without purpose, they died."

"Please..." I struggled to breathe. The air was growing colder, thinner. I felt like he might drift away from me at any second. "I don't have much time. I need to understand what this mana bank is here to discover. What is the purpose of the sequencing?"

"The dying is the knowing is the winning is the losing," the colt said. "That which was shattered remains broken in order to desire that which was whole. Without desire, there is no wind. Without wind, there is no energy. Without energy, there is no spark..."

"But there is a spark!" I heard myself exclaim. I leaned forward, slapping my hooves across the ground. "Austraeoh! She exists! She flies east with the power of the wind!"

The air rattled. With a wave of my own breath, the grass in front of him morphed into hundreds of matchsticks. The colt lowered his tattooed face. He glanced at the many wooden firestarters, then over at my matchstick box. At last, his eyes returned to me, twice as starry in the amber light.

"Eljunbyro..." he murmured.

I nodded, gulping. "Rebirthing endurance... that is my purpose..."

He stared at me. His intricately stenciled brow furrowed as he said, "Your purpose is to die, and to make whole that which was shattered. That is the purpose of all."

I narrowed my gaze at him. "What is it?" I leaned forward even more. "What was it that was whole?"

"The question... and the answer..." He stood up slowly. "The answer... and the question..."

I watched as he rose above me in the blackness. "Do you know what either of them is?"

"I only know one thing," the colt said. "The beauty and magnificence of the ring. It must be assembled."

I shook my head slowly. "The... ring... wh-what?" My face grimaced. "Who's assembling what?"

"It assembles itself. It is we who do not see. She tasks us with the seeing. She is neither concerned with the dying or the knowing. All must be seeing, or else we will have no other purpose for our eyes."

"Who is she?" I asked.

"The only one whom we can afford to fear in this place." His eyes became hard daggers. "What is it that you fear?"

I gazed at him. I felt my jaw quivering as a tear rolled down my cheek. "That I-I might somehow forget him by the time I join him..."

"Then you are no longer eljunbyro," he said, pivoting towards a pale wall that was suddenly there. "You have evolved beyond the pulpit of the spark and have become one of its many vessels."

"But... But I don't understand?" I stood up and marched over dissolving matchsticks to approach him. "What am I now becoming?"

"It is not you alone." He tilted his muzzle down towards his shoulder. With tiny teeth, he bit onto his coat, then started peeling the tattoo off his skin. "You are part of the whole, the whole that becomes one." With the grace of a maid tossing laundry to the wind, he pulled the tattoos completely off his face and flung it forward like a spider's web until it clung to the pale wall before him. "You and many like you are bringing wind to the spark's wings."

I stared at him, dumbfounded. I jolted upon hearing the sound of ice cracking.

The tattoos on the wall had formed into deep fissures. He raised a hoof and looked over his shoulder at me. "Innavedr," he explained.

Then his hoof struck the wall.

The black world exploded, and a wave of water flew past him, engulfing me. I gasped and gargled for breath as I found myself spinning weightlessly through the fathoms. I heard the muffled sounds of giggling foals beyond the frigid depths.

Then, as my lungs felt like bursting, I saw a patch of lavender light, brimming with stars. In desperation, I kicked at the currents and swam towards it. The laughter became deafenning, and to my starved mind it sounded like sobs. At last, I saw buzzing dragonflies and waving cattails layering a halo of glistening sky above. Like a torpedo, I shot myself directly up and burst through the rippling surface of a shallow pond.

PreviousChapters Next