• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,076 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,076

PreviousChapters Next
Do No Harm

"Well, first off, you can get her off her hooves and onto my table," Imre grumbled, trotting across the infirmary. "Spark knows how infected she might be with you hauling her around inside that garbage pail you call armor with a broken limb."

"The other option would have been leaving her to rot in the hooves of the Ledomaritans," Roarke said.

"Yeah, why didn't you leave me to rot in the hooves of the Ledomaritans?" Rainbow asked, then winced as she was practically shoved onto the table. "Ow! Ow ow ow ow—Watch it!"

"Don't tempt me," Roarke muttered, then turned towards Imre. "You ever worked on wings before?"

"In my glory days of sleeping through half of my introductory med classes at Blue Peak University, I recall one or two autopsies on albatrosses." Imre trotted back over with a tray full of syringes and scalpels. "Whatever the case, when I'm not slapping metal death machines onto your bone-headed 'sisters' here, I'm eagerly reading up on all manners of biology, including avian." She leaned in and squinted at Rainbow's left side. "A giant wing is still a wing, nevermind the fact that it's attached to an equine body." She reached in and pressed a part of the feathery mass. "Does this hurt?"

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaugh!" Rainbow shrieked.

Imre jerked back and exhaled. "Yes, I do think this will take some meticulousness." She glanced up at Roarke. "You do realize that it will cost a fortune from the Treasury to cover the materials I will be using."

The bounty hunter nodded. "Yes, yes..."

Imre's brown eyes narrowed coolly. "And... it will take even more for me to cover exactly why I am using the materials and for what."

"I get it," Roarke grumbled. "Just fix her wing already."

"Wait!" Rainbow wheezed, squinting at the two ponies. "Don't talk like I'm not here! Why are you going through all of this for an outsider like me?! And is she even registered—?" She turned and looked to see a cutie mark in the form of a razor sharp bonesaw on Imre's flank. "Daaa-gi-gi-gi!" She hopped up. "On second thought, who needs to fly? I-I'll just frolic east for the rest of my life."

"Look. You're here. I'm here." Frowning, Imre shoved Rainbow back down onto the table. "And, believe it or not, beneath all of this pretty exterior lies a unicorn who wants to help others get better, no matter how abrasive or... mmm... fantastical."

"Fantastical?!" Rainbow Dash made a face.

"How long do you think you will be at this?" Roarke asked.

"Assuming I can figure out an appropriate operation to tackle, she will need to recover for the better part of a day. Maybe two."

"I am not fantastical!" Rainbow Dash pouted.

"And then you will have to keep her off her wings for even longer."

"Nnnngh..." Roarke face-hoofed. "Then how am I supposed to get rid of her?"

"Okay... maybe I'll settle for 'fantastic' but not 'fantastical'..."

Imre sighed and leaned past Rainbow Dash. "That's none of my concern, Roarke. You dragged her here. She's your burden, not mine."

"Yes, well, you were once my burden too," Roarke said.

Imre rolled her eyes. "I would like to think that all of my hours of slavery have earned my way out of your good grace. Besides, I answer to Lady Pestiferous now. And so do you—though for some infernal reason you're too proud or distracted to admit it."

"I have things to do, Imre. I'm a busy metal mare."

"Doing what?! Chasing crystal huffers in Ledomare? Face it, Roarke, you have no business flying around in the Confederacy. It's going to suck your share of the Treasury dry and soon Terra and the rest of the metal mares here will tear your impoverished flank apart."

"Hey... uh..." Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow. "Do you two mares need a room?"

"Nnnngh..." Roarke turned away, folding her forelimbs. "A crematorium comes to mind."

"Stop being melodramatic, Roarke," Imre droned as she grabbed a syringe. "It doesn't suit you." She then jabbed the needle straight into Rainbow's shoulder.

"Owwwwwwwwww!" Rainbow hissed then jerked as the needle was pulled out. "Ow ow ow ow ow! Unnngh..." She flung daggers through her eyes at Imre. "The heck was that for?"

"For the pain that might follow."

"P-pain?"

"Oh... uhm... by the way..." Imre fidgeted where she stood with the empty syringe. "Do you have any allergies—?"

"Buh..." Rainbow's eyes rolled back and she collapsed with a clang on the table.

"....well, then." Imre turned to Roarke. "I'd better get to work. Do us all a favor and close the infirmary doors behind us on the way out."

"You will do your best to fix her, yes?"

"Absolutely, Roarke. What do you take me for?" Imre's shaved brow furrowed. "And why do you do this to yourself?"

"Hmmm? What?"

"You only hurt yourself when you do things like this," Imre muttered, lying Rainbow on her side so that her left wing was exposed. "You lost half your arsenal when you pulled me from the Xonan prison camp. Or have you forgotten?"

"You were worthless there, Imre," Roarke said. "You were just wasting away, contributing nothing. I figured that you could be of much greater worth to my sisters and I here in Searo's Hold."

"Hmmph..." Imre's lips curved bitterly. "And in all the time it took you to pierce Xonan airspace and grab me from their clutches, did it ever occur to you that I'd be in just the same misery either way?"

"No, but it did occur to me that a mare as resourceful as you only ever got herself captured by the Xonans because she wanted to be."

Imre said nothing.

"Nnngh... Look, just patch her up, and I'll take her out of your hooves," Roarke said. "Nopony needs to know. Not even—"

"Lady Pestiferous?" Imre glanced up. "She's been asking for you, you realize."

"What?!" Roarke's lenses shrunk back. "Since when?! Terra didn't tell me..."

"Between you and me, Terra would like to see you digesting in the translucent belly of an Ursa Major." Imre stretched the unconscious pegasus' wing out. "She's next in line for ascending to the seat of Searo. Though you've lost several fortunes as of late, you're potential competition, Roarke. I know for a fact that there are a lot of mares out there who would relish you crashing and burning before you even get there."

"Jee... thanks for keeping an ear out for me."

"Roarke, go see Lady Pestiferous," Imre droned. "At the risk of sounding sappy, life here is a little bleaker without knowing you're around for me to throw insults at."

"Hmmph. If it makes things easier for you, I'll see if I can poke my head into her throneroom." Roarke started trotting away.

"Damn it, Roarke," Imre suddenly spat. She reached for Rainbow's pendant. "I thought you had the good sense to remove all of her armor—"

"Do not touch that!" Roarke shouted.

Imre froze in place, blinking.

Roarke sighed, then more calmly said, "Believe me. There is... erm... an enchantment about her. Bad things will happen if you remove the pendant from her body. Trust me on this."

Imre glared. "You brought an enchanted pegasus into my infirmary?"

"Suck it up, princess." Roarke turned with a swish of her metal tail. Her helmet closed as she made a cold exit. "I'm off to stare Madame Death in the face."

"You do that."

PreviousChapters Next