• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,072 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,072

PreviousChapters Next
Smarter Than Average

"This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the 'b-being eaten' part!" was all Rainbow Dash could grunt as she thrashed against the sparkling tongues and gums of the giant bear's effluent mouth. "Nnnngh! Seriously, what the frig?! Am I just that delicious?! Gaah!"

Rainbow shrieked as the pressure of the jaws increased all around her. She heard her armor buckling in the extremities. An exposed thruster engine or two began to hiss.

"Yeah, uh, no." Frowning, she gripped all five of her helmet's levers at once. "Mmmmf—Taste the rainbow on your own time, buttface!"

Her rockets burned, polishing the insides of the Ursa's mouth with raw flame. The monster merely growled all around her, but kept biting down.

"Oh really?" Rainbow Dash bucked the tongue, swiveled about, and aimed herself past the uvula. "If you want it that badly, then down the hatch!" She kicked loose from the mouth's grip and soared straight down the Ursa's throat. As she did so, there was a flash of light—accompanied by a painful growl. Soon, the glittering purple essence of the immense bear peeled away like a veil, and Rainbow saw nothing but arena floor. "Whoah!" She pulled up, skidding along the rocky ground until she collapsed in front of Imre and others. Her armor was coated from head to tail-less rear with copious saliva. "Unnngh..."

"Jeez!" Imre gasped, her voice a hoarse titter beneath the rising tumult of the bloodthirsty audience above. "That was pretty clever!"

"I feel like cr-crap..." Rainbow stammered as she stirred back onto all fours. "Literally..."

"Actually, by making the bear gag, I think you just forced her to become incorporeal, which allowed you to fly through."

"Really?" Rainbow tilted her helmet up to glance at the unicorn. "Cuz I was hoping that I had..." She paused, blinking against her visor. "Wait, what am I saying?"

The arena shook from the menacing roar of the Ursa as it once more turned around, its eyes flashing red with anger.

"Gotta distract it..." Rainbow wheezed.

Imre helped her up with a glowing red horn. "Yeah, and for h-how long until your fuel runs out and she eats us all anyways?!"

"There's gotta be something I can use against it!" Rainbow shouted as the creature's shadow crossed over the trembling group. She backed up against Imre and the others, sweating. "How about your magic?"

"I'm a doctor, not a big game hunter!"

The Ursa leaned forward, howling its hot breath straight into the puny group.

"Awwwwwww buck me right up the—" Rainbow Dash glanced aside, then gasped. "There!"

"What?" Imre stammered.

"Just hold on a sec!" Rainbow soared off.

"What?!" Imre stammered even louder.

"Nnnngh!" Rainbow made a point to soar straight past the Ursa's muzzle. As a result, the bear snapped at her and her alone. Spinning expertly away from the bite, Rainbow dove towards the floor she had looked at previously. "Ah-ha!" She picked up the loose helmet that had fallen from the half-blade who was devoured earlier by the timberwolves. No sooner was she lifting it in her hooves then a lump of bloody pulp dripped out of the metal headpiece. Rainbow gulped. "Well, there goes my dreamless nights for a while."

The ground behind her pounded as the Ursa charged after her thrusters. Without a second to lose, Rainbow darted up and began flying rapid circles around the arena. The air shook from the bear's hot breaths beating at her dangling hooves. All the while, Rainbow found the strength two tilt her head towards Imre and shout as loud as she could:

"Hey! What are these suits powered on?!"

Imre stumbled to respond to that. "Huh?!"

"These friggin' eggshells that the trainees wear before they get their insides removed!" Rainbow shouted between pants and grunts as she suddenly had to dodge several angry bear swipes. "What powers it all up?!"

"An array of interlaced manaconduits that fill the inner layers of metallic weave with artificial leylines that—"

Rainbow darted past snapping teeth and hooked to the right to dodge a lacerating set of claws. "Yeah! Fine! Great! Let's cut to the chase!" She took a deep breath as she darted up and down, looping around the upper body of the enraged bear. "Can I make this thing olverload at all?! Can it friggin' explode?"

"Why the heck would you wanna make it explode?!" Imre blurted.

"Jee, I dunno!" Rainbow snarled as she kicked off the Ursa's snout, flew between her ears, and darted down the monster's back. "Take one huge guess!"

"Uhhh... Uhhhh..." Imre sweated as she and her trembling companions gazed at the daunting fight.

"Imre, help me out here, ya barn-colored egghead!" Rainbow squeaked. As the bear reached high for her, she found herself once again skimming the force field until she circled back around to the unicorn. "I noticed that my suit thruster thingies were burning faster whenever I made contact with the force field!"

"The force field?!"

"Yeah! Y'know!" Rainbow Dash hovered breathlessly in place and pointed at the edge of the arena. "The sapphiric, glowly bands of light!"

"'Sapphiric' isn't a word!"

"Seriously?!" Rainbow howled down at her as she gripped the helmet so hard it might break. "Right now of all times?!"

"Look out!" a stallion shouted. The Ursa came plowing into the side of the arena. The victims on the floor yelled in dismay and scattered everywhere.

Rainbow Dash dropped the helmet and immediately stretched her hooves out. She caught the bear's muzzle, but then the bear's muzzle caught her. Soon, she was being slammed up against the rock wall of the fighting area, her armor forming rivulets and cracks from the monster's angry pressure.

"Nnnngh..." Rainbow hissed for breath as her visor started to crack down the center. "Imre..."

"It just might work!" The unicorn levitated the helmet with her magic. "Though, to be fair, I've never done this before!" She motioned to an anteloupe, two stallions, and the diamond dog. All four rushed over and gave her a lift so that she could better reach the blue energy field with her telekinesis. "Just stay where you are!"

"Yeah, o-okay," Rainbow hissed as the bear applied more of its massive weight. Drooling in anger, the creature swiped with its paw. Rainbow somehow ducked; a huge chunk was blasted out of the wall behind her from the Ursa's claws. "Are we h-having fun yet?"

"Just hold on..." Imre grumbled as she shoved the floating helmet into the force field. Blue sparks danced around the point of contact. The metal article began to glow hotter and hotter. "Almost... Almost..."

Bearing the full brunt of its fangs, the Ursa reared its head back to strike one last time.

Rainbow blurted, "Imre—!"

"Here!" Imre spun her head and tossed the helmet. She and her cohorts tumbled to the arena floor as the metal armor piece—frothing over with blue plasma—flew towards Rainbow's forelimbs. "Do your worst!"

"My worst?" Rainbow gripped the sparkling helmet in two hooves, wincing as it melted the outer layer of her horseshoes. "Girl, I only ever do my best!"

The Ursa's jaws lunged forward.

"Rrrgh!" Rainbow brought the burning helmet down and slammed it over the starry crest of the unsuspecting beast.

The arena exploded with raw mana. Several metal mares looked away to save their eyes. Pestiferous stood up, her eyes narrowed as she hissed in alarm. Terra's jaw dropped while Roarke leaned forward on the edge of her seat, still trying to hide her trembles...

For several agonizing seconds, the killing floor was nothing but burning plasma, encompassing the entire Ursa... and its prey in turn.

PreviousChapters Next