• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,081 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,081

PreviousChapters Next
Von Eagle's Express

Josho's lips stirred. His facial muscles creased, as if coming to life for the first time in a century. He turned over on a swaying wooden floor as his ears twitched from the sound of rhythmic clack-a-clacking noises. A small dish of water was moved towards his muzzle and tilted into his mouth. Automatically, his lips pursed, and he took a small sip of the cool liquid.

Then, after a couple of seconds, his brow furrowed.

"Wait a second... nopony is ever th-this nice to me..."

His bleary eyes opened.

Eagle Eye sighed, his mane in a mess as he gazed tiredly down at the larger, older stallion. "You ever think there's a reason for that?"

Josho blinked. His muscles coiled to spring.

"Wait!" Eagle Eye waved one hoof wildly. "You're attached to me, remember—?"

Josho shot up, yanking the smaller unicorn with him. The dish of water clattered across the wooden floor, splashing wildly. Josho looked around, his nostrils flaring. He saw stacks of wooden boxes, lengths of cargo netting, mountains of metal toolboxes, and rows upon rows of cabinets. Everything was swaying and rattling around him and his unwitting companion in that claustrophobic space.

"...and there goes my chance to wet my own whistle," Eagle Eye muttered, struggling to step back up.

"I'm alive," Josho grunted. "Why am I alive?" He blinked. "And with you?"

"Well, there was the cliffside—"

"The boulder," Josho uttered spastically. "We were riding that giant rock like a working mare out of Blue Garden."

"Uhhhhhh... well maybe one of us was." Eagle Eye cleared his throat. "And then we fell into the river—"

"And then we died," Josho droned. "We should have died." He grumbled. "Why aren't I deader than a yardstick stuck in a latrine?"

"Look, I'm getting to that, you oversized bear rug!" Eagle Eye grunted, stamping his hoof. With a sigh, he ran a forelimb across his tattered bangs and said, "So, we hit the river, and you plunged in deep... erm, into the river, that is..."

"Do you really have to be the one explaining this—?"

"And, like, I was totally fine and stuff. But you were one big dumb object, and I nearly drowned trying to keep us both afloat. So..." Eagle Eye gestured with his petite hooves. "I paddled us both to shore—"

"You... swam us both to shore?!" Josho narrowed his eyes. "You, Miss Lightweight McNuzzlesomepony?"

"Look, don't give me flak about it!" Eagle Eye grumbled. "It was really, really hard! Not to mention smelly!"

"Smelly...?"

"I swear, you couldn't dry out in the sun fast enough. Sitting next to you felt like sharing a sauna with a wet moose and a bucket of dead sardines. So, anyway, I started a fire and tried doing smoke signals to attract attention. I didn't have much in the way of flammable kindling, so... I kinda sorta used some of your mane..."

"Wait, huh?!" Josho ran a hoof up to his head. Half of his scalp was missing, and the other half hung over his horn like a horrible, gray combover. "Gah! Why, you dirty little honeymoon stain—!"

"So, yeah, that got the fire realllllly smokey. Eheheh..." Eagle Eye smiled nervously. "And, someone came. A lot faster than I had expected. But, they weren't exactly ponies. I asked them if they could break our bonds, but they... uh... didn't seem interested in that."

"What do you mean they didn't seem interested in—?"

"Still, they had a ticket out of here. First, it was by wagon. Then, it was a supply cart. Then they took us to this station, and... erm... well, they had room in this boxcar at the rear of the line..."

"Boxcar?" Josho blinked. "Wait, do you mean...?" He turned around, then galloped towards a sheet of glass above several cabinets.

"Gaaah!" Eagle Eye shrieked, flailing on the end of his anchor to the older stallion.

Josho propped himself up on his rear hooves and squinted out the window. He saw passing pine trees, along with distant hints of towering sapphire shards. The air was turning a misty gray with the hint of prevailing snow. The atmosphere was thin.

"Hey, uh, fruit kennel..."

"Do I really... really have to reply to th-that?"

"Why are we in a train?"

"Cuz that's where they put us after the wagon ride and—"

"Why are we in the mountains?"

"We've been on this track for quite a while, but—"

Josho took a careful measure of the sky. He squinted, then turned to glare at Eagle Eye. "And why are we going south?!" he hissed.

"Oh, is that we're heading?" Eagle Eye smiled nervously. "Uhhhh... that might explain why I've heard so many birds crying outside—"

"Nnnngh..." Josho slumped back down and facehoofed. "I never thought I'd have to kill a living, breathing femcolt while sober."

"Hey!" Eagle Eye frowned. "I did the best I could to keep us in one piece! I could totally have ditched your big, fat body on the shores of that river if I wanted to!"

"Oh yeah?!" Josho growled, raising his left hoof and pointing at the purple-glowing manacle. "With what?!"

Eagle Eye gulped and shrugged. "There were... lots of sticks, y'know?"

"Unnngh..."

"Oh, and rocks. Lots of those. I considered tossing a few of them into a forest, figuring it would summon a cougar or—"

"You do realize we're traveling even further away from—"

"From what?!" Eagle Eye narrowed his eyes. "One of your expeditions?"

"Anything! Civilization!" Josho gestured wildly while talking. "Any group of living, sentient things that aren't metal cocooned freak mares or bipedal canine fartbags!"

"Poetry aside, I'm not clueless." Eagle Eye folded his forelimbs. "All you really wanna do is find a Ledomaritan encampment and turn us both in!"

"Way to get a friggin' clue, ya overcooked kettle of pink kumquats!" Josho snarled at him. "Of course I wanna get back to my unit, turn you in, and find a tall bottle of joy water! But you just couldn't have that, could you?"

"Can you blame me?"

"Honey, I could break your head over a bar counter if I knew it'd leak more than bullcrap! Just who have we landed with, huh?!"

"Well..." Eagle Eye fidgeted. "Uhm..."

"And just how could they possibly have been a better choice than a company of my fellow stallions of war—?"

Just then, there was a rattling sound above the rhythmic rocking of the train.

Josho and Eagle Eye turned, watching as something unlocked the door to the next compartment ahead...

PreviousChapters Next