• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,052 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,052

PreviousChapters Next
Filling an Elevator

"Uhhhhhh... whoopsy..." Props' voice echoed across the elevator car.

"Whoopsy?!" Ebon Mane's voice returned, positioned right next to Pilate inside the cramped enclosure. The air was stifling hot, and thudding vibrations could be felt reverberating up and down the shaft. "What do you mean, Propsy?! What's going on?"

"Oh, no biggie!" She chirped back through the sound stone installed above the instrument panel of the car. "I just gotta turn the thing with the thing and... uhhhh... whoooooopssssy..."

"That isn't very reassuring," Pilate muttered. Simon chirped across his shoulder in agreement.

"Props!" Ebon growled, his hoof pressing harder to the panel below the enchanted crystal. "We've been sitting in this stupid car for nearly three hours. Now, we dropped you and Jasper off at the core so you could open us a way to the security brig. What the hay is going on?"

"Well, it's just that this place is so much bigger than a steam engine and they have all their conduits going flank over uvula and... oh! Hey! I think I found the manastream generator—oh wait no. No, that's not it...""

Ebon's voice growled. "Props..."

"Whoooooooooopsyyyy..."

"Nnngh! Enough with this whoopsy crap! There's no telling if Floydien is still alive or not! Just tell us what we gotta do or this whole thing's a bust!"

"Ahem... Ebon, good fellow..." Clark's voice spoke up over the sound stone. "I believe what Props is eloquently trying to tell us is that she's bitten onto more than she can chew."

"Yeah, Jasper. We got that the first time."

"It has nothing to do with the munchies!" Props' voice cracked. "It's just that I can't tell what floor the sub-leyline-relay is! If I could overload that, then all of the tertiary bypasses would kick the bucket and I would have full control of the tower from here! Including all of Overseer Fatch's flank-fuggly gizmos!"

"Well, you obviously are bumping into a proverbial brick wall, so if you could kindly hoist us back down to the bottom floor so we could regrup in the central core and come up with a better plan—"

Pilate reached up and gently shoved Ebon away from the sound stone. "Ahem, Miss Props?"

"That's my name! Don't wear it out!

"If you could kindly describe to me—"

"Cuz I'd look horrible in vertical stripes!"

"Um... please describe to me—"

"Heeheehee—!"

"The relay!" Pilate grunted, nearly shaking Simon off his backside. "The sub... leyline relay... Could you describe it?"

"Well, it's reinforced with syntho-alicornia microfilaments spun around four auxiliary nodes framed equadistantly from a rotating piston core—"

"The shape, Miss Props. Could you describe the dimensions of this device?"

"OH! Uhm... sort of like a big fat doughnut surrounded by four smaller doughnuts, and all of them covered in bright, electrical sprinkles."

Jasper's voice lifted in the background. "Riveting. You should go into teaching geometry courses, my dear."

"Mmmmm... I love sprinkles..."

Ebon emitted a breathy sigh. "This was a bad idea. I probably should have stayed with Props. I always seem to help her concentrate better." Silence. His body pivoted towards Pilate. "Mr. Pilate...?"

The zebra was too busy concentrated. Using Simon's energy funneled through the O.A.S.I.S. sphere, he felt beyond the elevator doors, the hallway beyond, and the foundation of the building through and through. At last, his heart skipped a beat as he said, "Four stories below us, Miss Props! About forty meters from the building's north face!"

After a momentary pause, the soundstone crackled, "Ohhhhh! Right by the employee break room! Wowsers bowsers, the Nightshade ponies are some sneaky Mcsneaksneaks!"

"Yes, indeed. Can you access our floor now?"

"Yup yup yup! Just gotta make the relay short circuit!" A frightening hiss of pent-up energy shorted out around the elevator car. "Aaaaand done! Hehehe! That wasn't so bad—Oh... uhm... whoopsy..."

Ebon groaned. "What now?"

"You guys might kinda sorta wanna hop out of that elevator car around about now..."

"Huh?" Just then, the sound of groaning metal cables drowned out Ebon's voice.

"Jump you fools!" Clark's voice crackled, growing louder as he must have shoved the downstairs soundstone closer to his muzzle. "Jump out of there as if your bridles are on fire!"

"Crudmuffins!" Ebon shouted.

Simon let loose a high-pitched bark. Metal bent loudly, indicating the doors were ripped off their hinges. A gust of cool air filtered in from the hallway beyond as the car began to jolt and drop.

"Nnngh!" Pilate was already thrusting forward. He rolled out of the elevator, spun around, and reached his hooves back just in time to hoist Ebon along with him. The screaming sound of a falling elevator echoed up from the shaft below. Both stallions fell on the floor, panting, while Simon scampered on ahead of them.

"Correct me if I-I'm mistaken..." Pilate stammered before gulping. "But you're actually going to let that mare fly the vessel in the hangar?"

"At this point, I'm not sure I'll let her fly a fart..." Ebon stood, helped Pilate up, and galloped with him down the hallway. "Quick! Before Fatch's goons find us! Or worse!"

PreviousChapters Next