• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,426 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,426

PreviousChapters Next
Rust

"...and as splendid as this urban spectacle may appear to the untrained eye," Prince Blueblood proudly spoke. Flanked by royal guards, he trotted leisurely down the shiny streets of the Crystal Empire, personally "escorting" the Hawkeye Pack along with Flash Sentry and Soarin. "I assure you it's even more luxurious on the inside. I speak—of course—of the finest in pony architecture and antiquity—preserved from the past in all its glory!"

"Yessssssssssss..." Rover nodded, his slitted eyes darting back and forth with no small amount of anxiety. "I ssssssssssssee." He, Spot, and Fido crowded together in mid-stroll, noting how many of the citizens were gawking at them from a distance. "Thessssssse poniessssss musssssst never have witnesssssssed Diamond Dogssss."

"I will admit..." Blueblood nodded. "More than a few of them have never graced your kind."

"Isssssssss it becaussssse they have been losssssssst in shadow for over a thoussssssssssand years?"

Blueblood did a double-take. He scuffled to a stop—along with his guards—and pivoted about to blink at the canines in surprise. "I... was not aware that you knew anything about the Crystal Empire's history."

"Woof!" Fido stood even taller and prouder. "We're not as dumb assssss you think! For instance!" He pointed across the street. "That there isssssss what you call a 'rhombus'!"

"You idiot!" Spot shook his paw at the big oaf. "That'sssssssss where horseshoessssss are forged!"

"Actually..." Soarin smiled aside. "...that thing you're looking at is what ponies call a stagecoach."

"And it's set to take us to the royal quarters where we will be staying during the festivities." Blueblood blinked calmly. "Presuming—of course—that you are willing to accept our good grace."

"I don't get it..." Fido scratched his hairy head. "You could not perform an entire mussssssssical performance on top of that thing! So why do they call it a [b\ssssssstagecoach?"

"Raaaugh!" Rover shook his paws in the air and growled, causing a few local ponies to flinch. "Who caresssssss?! It's a ssssssssssilly pony word for sssssssilly pony things—" His eyeslits froze in place. Blushing through his fur, he curled up slightly and threw a meek look in Blueblood's direction. "A thoussssssssssand pardons. Old dog habits."

"Quite fine." Blueblood grinned. "We'll just have to teach you new tricks."

Flash Sentry tried his hardest not to face-hoof. Soarin merely patted his shoulder.

"If the oddly-named form of equine transportation does not suit you, then we can easily arrive at our destination by hoof. Or—in your case—by paw." Blueblood cleared his throat. "Perhaps it would be more scenic that... way...?" He blinked, brow furrowing in curiosity.

Simultaneously, all three canine representatives had been mesmerized by something. They lurched across the street, practically drooling with awe.

"What..." Spot began.

"...issssssssssssssssss..." Rover supplemented.

"...thissssssssssss?" Fido completed.

"I beg your pardon?" Blueblood asked in a meek voice. His bodyguards took on tense postures.

"Thissssssssss... mossssssssssst ravisssssssshing beauty of pony conssssssstruction," Rover said, his eyeslits converting into veritable pulsing hearts.

"I..." Blueblood squinted at the sidewalk. "...fail to see what has seized your attention, so."

"It's that thing," Flash Sentry said, pointing at a cylindrical object made of crystal that was sticking up out of the ground.

"It'sssssssss..." Spot whimpered and moaned like a sick puppy. "...beautifullllllll."

"Oh that?" Soarin scratched his chin. "It's called a fire hydrant."

"It's attached to the highly-pressurized liquid plumbing of the city that runs underground," Blueblood explained. "It's a key utility of the fire department here... used for putting out rampant blazes and preserve property."

"A fire hydrant..." Fido cooed, leaning in to lovingly stroke the object.

"Mussssst be worth all the jewelsssssssss in horse land..." Rover added.

"They ssssssssshould have sent a poet!" Spot wept.

Flash was milliseconds away from bursting into absurd laughter, when—

"Flash!" A body galloped towards him, breathless. "Flash Sentry!"

Flash froze in place.

Blueblood pivoted about, eyebrow arched.

"Uhhhhhhhh..." Soarin walked in front of Flash, staring down the equine as she galloped up. "Is there... somepony that you're looking for?"

"Yes!" A crystal pony skidded to a stop, almost wheezing. "You two!" She pointed at Flash. "Especially him!"

"He goes by the name of Brad—"

"I... I-I am just doing what Miss Melody t-told me!" The mare gulped. "She said to 'run out and fetch the organizer! He'll respond to 'Flash Sentry!'"

Flash exhaled slowly with relief.

Soarin glanced at him. "Must be crazy important."

"It is!" the crystal pony yelped. "Please! You must come right away!"

"Is Octavia okay?" Flash asked.

"It's not Miss Melody you should be worried about! Down in the banquet hall!" She winced, turned around, and galloped off. "You have to come see!"

"I guess that's our cue." Soarin turned about. "Your Highness—?"

"Do carry on." Prince Blueblood waved a hoof. "I am quite certain my guards and I can handle our guests from here."

"Thanks," Flash said, taking off on flapping wings. "Oh! And thanks for letting us borrow the skiff as well! Totally brotastic of you!"

"Yes. Erm... quite." Blueblood waved the two stallions off. He then turned to face the Hawkeye pack. "Now, gentlefellows. Where were we—?" He immediately had to grimace. "Ungh... Sweet Celestia..."

One of his guards leaned in towards the other, his stalwart eyes affixed to the crowding trio of canines. "I've always wondered. Can crystal rust?"

PreviousChapters Next