• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,425 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,425

PreviousChapters Next
Shouts

As Flash ascended with the colt in his grasp, he could already hear three distant voices shouting out from the top deck of the enormous air cruiser. They got clearer and clearer as he neared the vessel's port side.

"Where's that blasted flare?! We need the Wonderbolts to fly back right away!"

"You heard Mr. Pants! Get right on it! And what are you other ponies standing around for?! Sweep the canyon with searchlights!"

"Searchlights?! What's the use at this point?! My nephew is doomed! DooOOooOOoomed I tell you!"

"Now don't be so quick to give up hope, Your Eminence! He's a resourceful young chap! Surely his innate royal skills in magic will have slowed his fall—"

"Are you kidding me?! The way my sister pampers him, he's lucky if he can levitate the silver spoon from his mouth!"

"Where are those blasted searchlights?!"

"You heard the Captain! Get a move on, lads! We have a foal overboard whom we have to find—!"

"Don't you get it?! It's over! Oh, the Equinityyyy! The last line of the Bluebloods! An azure smear on the canyon walls! It's simply horrid!"

"My good Prince..."

"This is all your fault, Captain! Sending those Wonderbolts up ahead to scout out the rendezvous point! And how come none of your other crewponies are pegasi, huh?! If only we had a pair of wings—"

"I thought I made it clear that all young hooves were to remain below deck—"

"Am I actually expected to sequester the boy in one place?! Who do you think I am?!"

"His... Uncle...?"

"And just what is that supposed to mean?!"

"Gentlecolts..."

"I'll have you know that I'm even more responsible than Princess Cadance herself! Why, that overtly fertile trollop—"

"Gentlecolts! Now, now... let us not leap at each other's jugulars. And—by Jove—let us not unnecessarily insult matriarchs who aren't even here! Now... you over there! Can you activate that searchlight!"

"Primed and ready, Mr. Pants... Sir!"

"Well, cast the bloody thing!"

A bright beam of light shimmered off the port side...

...just in time to catch the streaking form of Flash Sentry. The windy air filled with gasps as he flew past the edge of the vessel and came descending softly to the varnished wooden deck. Over a dozen ponies in uniforms stared at him, wide-eyed. Three stallions in particular stood out: one in a captain's uniform, a unicorn with a slick blonde mane, and another unicorn bearing a mustache and a monocle. All was silent, until the thing cradled in Flash's forelimbs began whining again—this time in a much more needy pitch.

"Uncle!" the colt bellowed. "Uncle! Uncle! It was horrible! I almost succumbed to gravity!" He choked on a sob. "That's an earth pony's fate!"

The blonde gasped, tossing his mane before galloping over to Flash. "Oh my! My little Canterloy! Are you alright?!"

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!" was the child's apt response.

"Uhhhhh..." Flash smiled nervously. "...did somebody drop a fop?"

"Give me back my nephew at once!" the blonde snarled, yanking the colt towards him in a telekinetic burst. He proceeded to cradle and caress the shivering creature with no small amount of coddling. "Now what compelled you to draw so near to the railing, my little cherub???"

"I-I had no choice, Uncle Blue! I... I had to..." The colt stopped crying long enough to fidget and say, "...dispel last evening's dinner with great haste."

"You silly little prince! They have a lavatory on board for that!"

"You think I'm going to touch those peasant toilets?"

"Well, it's certainly better than touching the bone-crushing ground!" The blonde groaned. "Why couldn't you be off on a picnic in Dream Valley along with your mother..."

"She hates heights!"

"That's not the point..."

The rest of the ponies were staring dumbfounded at Flash Sentry.

"My stars and garters..." The remaining unicorn cleaned his monocle and used it to study the teenager closer. "Do you have any idea what you've done, brave stranger? You just single-hoofedly saved the Blueblood family line!"

"Hey, neato!" Flash smiled... but then his ears folded. "That's a good thing, right?"

The pony in a captain's uniform grumbled aside: "A matter of perspective."

The unicorn chided him. "Now now, Captain... stiff upper lip. This crew is better than that sort of attitude and you should be an example to them!" He smiled proudly, carrying an air of aristocratic charm. "After all, I only hire the best to run my ship!"

Just then, a frazzled earth pony scampered up from below deck. "I've got the flare!" POW! He instantly fired the bright red flame into the early morning sky... only to glance over and behold the reunited Princes with a limp gaze. "Oh... uhm..."

The monocled stallion face-hoofed. "Goddess, give me strength..."

Flash Sentry couldn't help but chuckle.

PreviousChapters Next