• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,426 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,426

PreviousChapters Next
Dumb

"No no no! You're ssssssupposssssssed to pull the lever back to full tensssssion and then load the projectile!"

"What projectile?! I'm trying to load the ssssstone!"

"You idiot! The ssssstone isssss the projectile!"

"Well why didn't you ssssssay sssssso! Ssssstop ussssing big wordssss!"

"I'm not ussssssing big wordssss! What do you take me for, a pony?! They're the onessss we're trying to sssssmasssssh!"

"Nopony'sssss going to be sssssmassssshed unlessss you let me fix thisssss launcher thingy jussssst right!"

"You're both doing it wrong! I keep on telling you! We need to aim it more to the north!"

"I made my calculationssssss dayssss ago! Everything will work out if we jusssst do this asssss I have planned!"

"Some plan! You were wanting to launch projectilesssss insssstead of sssstonesss!"

"Rrrrrrrrrgh! You imbecilessss!"

"There you go usssssing big wordssss again!"

"Bark!"

While this... invigorating argument continued heatedly upon the cliff-face, Soarin' and Flash Sentry quietly snuck up, using an outcropping of rocks for cover. They peered through a crevice and saw three gangly canines fussing over a haphazardly constructed apparatus positioned crookedly within the narrow clearing. The largest of the three canines was hugging an immense rock to his chest while he hissed and barked at the other two. A slightly smaller canine griped and argued with him over the stone while the tiniest jumped on the biggest's head and started pulling at his ears.

"Aaaargh! Sssstop it, Spot! You're going to rip my earssss off!"

"Then quit being a runt and load the sssssstone into the bassssket! Ruff!"

"Fido! Spot! The two of you are wassssting valuable time! The council isssss talking to those wretched poniessss right now! They'll fly away in their air boat any ssssecond now!"

"You don't know that, Rover!"

"It doessssn't matter! We need to sssssmasssssh thosssse poniessss now while we have a chance! For High Paw!"

"Get off me!"

"Drop the sssssssstone!"

"Grrrrrrrr!"

"Yip!"

Flash and Soarin' watched with dull expressions. As the three canines continued to argue and struggle with one another, the teenager muttered to the Wonderbolt.

"That's... uh... that's a catapult."

"Mmmhmmm." Soarin' nodded.

"These guys... they're idiots, aren't they?"

Soarin' shuddered. "Nevertheless, they're idiots with a catapult."

"What are the odds they'll actually hit the Midnight Oil with that thing?"

"They'll hit something alright," Soarin' said. "And something tells me that they'll somehow try to pin it on Fancy Pants and his airship."

"Yeah..." Flash grimaced. "Why do these guys hate ponies so much?" He looked aside. "Is that common among diamond dogs?"

Soarin' shook his head. "Honestly, I have no clue. I've always assumed monsters—errrr..." He glanced shiftily at the orange stallion at his side. "That... non-ponies had a distinct dislike for equines, but I'm... trying to have an open mind."

The mountain peak shook as the largest canine tossed his "companion" into a nearby chunk of stone.

Flash gulped. "You have more courage than me."

"Strange..." Soarin' gazed at the vests and collars that the three mongrels were wearing. "Something about their attire..."

"You know these guys?" Flash asked.

"No. But... I vaguely remember this story Rainbow Dash used to brag about," Soarin' remarked. "Something about a bunch of underground foalnappers that she and her friends cleared out of Ponyville..."

"Were they diamond dogs?"

"They were. But... the chances are astronomical." Soarin' took a deep breath and turned around. "Whelp... better go tell Spitfire and the rest."

"What?" Flash squinted at him. "What for?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Soarin' gestured, still keep his voice—and head—low to avoid detection. "These morons are trying to threaten the negotiations!"

"Yeah... but don't forget the 'moron' part," Flash said. "I don't think we need the full hammer of the Wonderbolts elite crushing these punks. That might look bad in the eyes of High Paw."

"How so?"

"I dunno. Maybe it'd seem dishonorable?" Flash's eyes crossed. "No wait, that's Klingons."

"These guys could still be dangerous if they execute whatever plan they've got cooked up."

"Yeah... but don't you think idiots are more dangerous when their shit goes wrong?" Flash asked.

Soarin' stood in place, tapping his chin.

"I think it'd be best if we got as few potential victims mixed up with this situation as possible. Also... think about it." Flash smiled. "If we crush these guys with the Midnight Oil's full complement, what would be left of them to 'fess up about what exactly they're trying to pull here?"

"What would you suggest we do?" Soarin' gestured wildly. "Sneak up and knock their heads together? Just the two of us? Look at their massive forelimbs!"

"Don't be silly." Flash sported a dumb grin. "We'll talk to them!"

Soarin' nearly spat his tongue out. "Talk to them?! These morons would have us for supper!"

"Now now... that's what some of the diamond dogs think you ponies want to do with them. What are we here for if not to destroy negative cross-cultural predilections?"

"But... but..."

"Don't you think the best way to solve stuff is the peaceful way?"

"That's... not always easy."

"Maybe in my world. But here?" Flash strolled boldly ahead. "...I think it's worth a try."

"Hey! Flash!" Soarin' hissed, then frowned as the teenager bolted forward. "Dang it!" He darted desperately after the other stallion.

PreviousChapters Next