• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,425 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,425

PreviousChapters Next
Lunatic

It only took a few seconds for Flash to reach higher than he had ever flown before. His flight lessons with Derpy felt like a drop in the great celestial pool that was currently serving as his horizons. Ponyville's small size as a township became immediately apparent, disappearing beneath him in a windy gasp.

As the music in his ears chimed through new and newer waves of synthesized euphoria, he glanced down at the small round valley that surrounded the village. There was the faintest twinkling of firelight—of microscopic windows illuminated by microscopic ponies about to lay down to microscopic sleep. The dark canvas of night hung low and heavy, casting a heavenly veil over the curious continent stretching around him.

Flash was more awake than he had ever been. This didn't stop a frightful numbness from creeping in on all sides, accentuated by the sheer surreality of the equine moment. He pierced through it—flapping his wings faster and using the windy traction to propel himself harder through the thick layers of comprehension.

Only slightly did the landscape beneath him shift. He glanced down every now and then to observe the glacial drift, to spot the lurch of mountains, hilltops, and lakefronts along the chill waves of trance tracks rippling into his horse ears. He noted that a lush, dark crescent of dense foilage hung around the west and northwest edges of Ponyville. The forest then stretched off towards a distant line of mountaintops, seemingly filling the entire basin with trees, trees, and more trees.

Everfree, Flash thought, and made sure to steer clear of the hauntingly dark canopy. From a distance he saw—or thought he saw—the luminescent hint of ethereal life clinging to those ebony boughs and treetops. In any other situation—tempered by his own ignorance—he figured that the sight would have been tantalizing. Hypnotizing, even. He thanked his lucky stars for the advice of his fresh companions... then blessed the heavens for having the luxury of "companions" in this strange place to begin with.

Something flickered between the horizons for a brief moment. Something painted with the same familiar hue as those dim shadows. Something reminiscent of dust... of sighs... of lonely morning bus rides through exhaustion and ennui. Of asphalt and garbage and desolation.

Flash flapped his wings harder—if only to feel them. Feel them, he did. Those feathers were real. That moment was real. That gust of wind. That chill in the atmosphere. That rise in tempo—where the music's frenetic spirit matched the spike in his pulse.

He dove, and yet he corkscrewed so that his plunge turned into an ascent. It was the first of many tricks, and the gasp that rippled through his body was positively electric. He pierced a veil of clouds, emerging on the other side with a cinematic splash of pale vapors. More than a few curious images erupted between each twitch of the eye. Memories from childhood—fragments of dreamscapes that faltered at best to emulate what was now happening to him. Animated sequences to Disney flicks, 16-bit pixelated splashes of colorful frustration. Off in the distance, a ten-year old giggled at a busy birthday party, extinguishing dollar store candles without a second thought. He wished for something—Flash couldn't remember what, but surely it paled to the heart-dropping moment now unfolding.

He evened out before he even knew he was barrel-rolling. Now Flash skimmed a silver ocean of clouds. Fog-soft mist rippled in waves underneath him. The full moon was bright—almost insultingly so. It brought a ghostly sheen to the nocturnal airscape around him, resonating with liquid pulses that almost seemed purposefully synced with Vinyl Scratch's otherworldly beat. It wasn't until a full two minutes of lunatic sailing had passed that Flash came to the stark realization that he had utterly lost track of Ponyville... of north and south... of any of the hemispheres that ever once corralled him—inside and out.

He was lost in the skies. The ground was unseen. Somewhere, far behind him... lost beneath him... was a crystal palace with a basement that contained an elusive, fragile portal. At this point, he might never find his way back.

The music hit a faster beat. His blood surged with the tempo, and Flash flew ever swiftly forward... far from all thoughts and regret... coasting into blissful oblivion.

PreviousChapters Next