• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,426 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,426

PreviousChapters Next
Choices

Flash Sentry steeled himself, breathing calmly. He watched as Princess Celestia leaned back, regarding him with a lofty expression.

"I will not force you to go back through the portal," she stated matter-of-factly. "I am the sovereign alicorn monarch of this realm and this realm alone. The world of humans is simply... beyond my jurisdiction. I am certain you can understand."

Flash nodded. He gulped, then managed, "Thank you, Your Highness."

"Please. Do not thank me," Princess Celestia said. "For I do not know yet if this works to your supreme benefit. But... it does give you both the time and the freedom for arriving at a healthy decision. Those two things—more than anything else—I sense that you deeply need at this particular juncture. It would be worse than criminal to rob you of such a moment of reflection. It is something that—I now sense—has been a long time coming." She took a deep breath, gazing at him with a compassionate expression. "It is my sincere hope that you consider those beyond yourself in pursuing this new phase in your life. You have exhibited such remarkable compassion and selflessness to those whom you have met since arriving here. Consider—perhaps—sharing a similar respect for those whom you have left behind."

The teenager gazed past her. A pair of violet eyes stared back, and he had to fight to keep his eyes open.

"Princess Twilight Sparkle would very much desire to speak with you," Celestia said, making the stallion's blood run cold. There was a momentary pause, as if she was digesting his silence with a new, intuitive taste. "For the good of everypony, I sincerely encourage you to grant her an audience. She did go through an awful lot to track you down, my little pony."

"Please, your Highness," Flash corrected. "Just call me 'Flash.'"

Celestia raised an eyebrow, smiling slightly. "You may find yourself having to settle for silly things in this world." She brushed past him with airy grace. "Though—from what I can tell—that won't be very difficult for you, will it?"

He blinked, then turned to watch her leave. When Flash turned back, Princess Luna was staring him down. The stallion jumped slightly.

Luna was unfazed. "My sister has lived with guilt for a very long time." Her nostrils flared. "I envy her, in a way, for I suspect I would be much wiser for it."

Flash gulped, momentarily satisfied that she was occupying his vision. "Couldn't we all?"

"Make no mistake..." She said, her tone as neutral as her expression. "...while you may have an affinity for this realm, you came from another. Like all creatures of two worlds, a choice awaits you, one that will not be as easy to make as you may currently think, with or without the leeway that my sister has granted."

Flash's ears drooped slightly. He tried on a nervous smile. "I don't suppose... I-I could choose to follow you outside now and rejoin the festivities?"

Luna sighed. "Alas, Flash Sentry..." She began trotting past him. "...life wouldn't be life without us being forced to face the final curtain."

He clenched his eyes shut as her hoofsteps grew more and more distant.

"When you both are done," Luna's voice carried over. "There is a group of ponies in the banquet hall yearning to speak with you. They are none other than the friends you have accumulated during your travels here, and they are quite concerned about you. Who better than the Princess of Friendship to speak to before such a blissful reunion?"

The doors to the throne room creaked open for one last time, then shut with a dull thud.

Hoofsteps approached... dainty... adorable.

She scuffled to a stop, and her voice came forth. Somehow—it was more timid than he remembered, and his heart shattered once again. "Hey... h-hey there, Flash..."

Flash inhaled courage. He forced his eyes open and stared into the loveliness. "Hey yourself." He tried putting on a suave smile, but it looked awkward in her reflective gaze.

So he stopped pretending.

PreviousChapters Next