• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,425 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,425

PreviousChapters Next
Fancy

"You truly have no idea what the Midnight Oil is doing out here, do you, lad?" Fancy Pants remarked as he paced down the port side of the airship in question.

Flash Sentry strolled along with him, shrugging. "Can't say that I do."

"None of the local gossip has clued you in to our operations?"

"Should they? I mean..." Flash chuckled. "Sorry to disappoint you, Mr. Fancy Pants. But I'm an idiot. That is, I mean well. Honest. A well-meaning idiot."

"Don't sell yourself short!" Fancy Pants adjusted his monocle in mid-trot. "Someone with nimble colt-saving skills such as yours must absolutely possess a certain sharpness of mind!"

"Well, I'll take your word for it." Flash looked up at the gentlecolt. He tried to put his mind on when and where he may have seen that face or heard that voice before—albeit in Homo sapiens mode. Something about the aristocratic nature of the stallion forced him to dwell on his scant memories of Crystal Prep faculty—what few he could recollect. But he was at a loss. Rather than appear even more like a mindless idiot, he blurted forth: "But I truly don't remember any ponies talking about a zeppelin full of non-winged horses."

"Heh..." Fancy Pants adjusted his collar. "Is it that pathetic?"

"Uhhhhh—"

"The result of a once-treasured accountant attempting to make budget cuts," Fancy Pants muttered. "I assure you—as I will most certainly assure his eminence—that mistake will not happen again. This ship is meant to function smoothly... and competently... with or without the involvement of the Wonderbolts!"

"These 'Wonderbolts' must be pretty important ponies."

"My word!" Fancy Pants swiveled to face him, jaw agape. "You must truly be out of your element if you don't even know who the Wonderbolts are!"

Flash shrugged with a stupid smile. "Guilty as charged! Now do you believe the 'idiot' part?"

The older stallion took a moment to polish his eyepiece. "... ... ...I do believe uninformed is the more proper word. Lots of ponies here in the rural valley place turnips before pop culture. Even those with wings. Who am I to judge?"

"You won't judge and I won't care."

"A solid exchange, good sir!" Fancy Pants rested the article back within his eye socket. "The Wonderbolts are the most talented fliers in all of Equestria! Not only that, but they're a supremely reliable defense force—traditionally loyal to the protection of the Royal Sisters and all of their branching relatives. Seeing as I've... how should you say... coaxed Prince Blueblood and his young nephew to join me on this business excursion—heheh—I've been fortunate enough to have the Wonderbolts as an escort along with Captain Typhoon and his crew! An airborne expedition like this hasn't been undertaken in generations!"

"And this is your ship?"

"Indubitably."

Flash smiled. "I guess you must be super proud."

"Hmmmm... indeed. But I mustn't rest on my laurels!" Fancy Pants gestured as the two reached the bow. "Any and all celebration must wait until after the deal has been made!"

"Deal?"

"Mmmm... yes. With the Diamond Dogs, of course."

"Alright. Sooooooooo..." Flash rubbed his thick head through his blue mane. "...if not David Bowie, then I'm guessing it has nothing to do with Beck either."

"I wouldn't know about this 'Beck,' but I'm more than prepared for quite the bite!" Fancy Pants looked out at the rows and rows of arid mountains unfolding before the brightening dawnlight. "The diamond dogs all answer to a Ruling Alpha, you see. And the rumor is that he hails from this part of the continent."

"You're talking about actual, literal dogs, aren't you?" Flash murmured in wonder.

"Not just any canines, but sapient creatures capable of complex underground colonies and subterranean civilization!" Fancy Pants smirked. "And after months and months of diplomatic preparation, I do believe Prince Blueblood and I are about to finally make headway in calming their mangy, violent ways!"

"Are they super dangerous?"

"Oh! No! Well..." Fancy Pants coughed. "To a fault, I suppose. If a wayward pony was to wander into their territory... ehhhh..." He waved his fetlock from side to side. "They just might expect imprisonment and slavery deep within their jewel mines. BUT!" He grinned beneath his mustache. "This expedition seeks to end all of that unethical buffoonery! We're at the dawn of a new era of peace! Of tranquility! Of friendship!"

Flash looked at the immaculate lapel Fancy Pants was sporting. He smirked. "Not to mention a really snazzy new diamond trade. Verdad?"

"Absolutely—errrrrr..." Fancy Pants chuckled nervously. "Let's say—for the sake of good will—that all entrepreneurial benefits will take a back seat to establishing peace." He sighed. "Although there is a reason why I hired a whole new Interspecies Trade Department of my Canterlot business."

Flash let loose a hearty laugh.

Fancy Pants smirked. "It's like I said. You're not quite an idiot after all, Mr. Brad."

"Hey..." Flash shrugged. "Whatever helps both you and the Snoop Dogs."

"Diamond Dogs."

"Whatever."

"There's nothing more profitable for business than peace," Fancy Pants said. "It was true in the time of Chancellor Puddinghead, and it's true now."

Flash stared at him thoughtfully. He exhaled, "I wish more people thought like that, Mr. Pants."

"Heheh! Why wouldn't they?!"

Flash bit his lip.

"Ah!" Fancy Pants scanned the western horizon as several winged blue dots formed over the mountain peaks. "Just on time!"

Flash turned to witness...

PreviousChapters Next