• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,426 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,426

PreviousChapters Next
Spitfire

"All right!" Spitfire's scratchy voice raked against the whipping winds. "Listen up, you sissy-winged sparrows!"

Flash Sentry stopped pacing around the deck of the Midnight Oil and looked to see the Captain facing a line of uniformed Wonderbolts standing at attention.

"We're en route to the Crystal Empire! Our first destination: the Imperialist Storehouse!" Spitfire paced and barked. "There, Captain Typhoon's crew will be unloading the precious supply of crystalline diamonds that the mountain dogs gave us! I want Alpha Team staying right here to overlook the safe transfer and securing of these precious materials!" Her eyes pierced like amber daggers across the wind-whipped deck. "So help me... if a single jewel falls out of place and gets so much as a crack, then the whole of you are on cloud kicking duty for three months! You got it?!"

"Ma'am, yes, ma'am!"

"Good! Then don't screw this up!" She paced towards the other half of the line. "Delta Team! At the same time that we'll be unloading the jewels, Prince Blueblood and his associates will be needing to meet with the stewards of the Crystal Empire at the palace! It will be your job to escort them safely to their destination. Try not to gloat—you got the easy job. It is extremely important that the crystal ponies witness the efficiency and security of Canterlot functions! They need to know that they'll be joining a stable, professional union! Do I make myself clear?"

"Ma'am, yes, ma'am!"

"And when both tasks are done and finished...!" Spitfire's hooves scraped to a stop. She turned to squint at the line of ponies as a whole. "... ... ...you will be relieved of duty for a spell." Her tone briefly lowered to something calm and soothing before slicing straight back into abrasively scratcy: "That's right! Ground leave! Prepare to enjoy the upcoming festivities in the Crystal Empire, you wind-dancing daisies! You've earned it!"

The wingponies murmured happily, smirkiing at one another—

"DID I GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO TITTER?!"" Spitfire hissed.

They all stood at attention once again.

"Now man your posts!" Spitfire pointed with a sharp hoof. "We've still got a ways before we arrive at the Crystal Empire! Move! On the double!"

The Wonderbolts took wing and glided off in every direction.

Flash Sentry smiled slightly at the scene. He turned to resume his aimless stroll across the deck—

"And you..."

Flash blinked, ears drooping nervously. Slowly—hesitantly—he turned around to gaze at the fire-bright captain who was trotting towards him. "Uhhhhh..." He pointed at himself. "Me?"

"No." Spitfire grunted, eyes rolling. "The Tooth Fairy."

"Whoah! Get out of town!" Flash grinned stupidly. "You guys got one of them too?!"

Spitfire merely stood before him and spoke: "Captain Typhoon is planning on docking the Midnight Oil at the zeppelin tower outside of the Crystal Empire for the duration of his crew's extended stay. Long story short, this vessel is overdue for repairs... and it won't be casting off again anytime soon." Her tail flicked as her wings tightened on either side of the mare. "If you wish to return home, you will need to choose another option. Fortunately, there'll be a train station nearby that can easily take you back to Central Equestria. Perhaps even further."

"What makes you think I'm 'returning home' anytime soon?" Flash cocked his head to the side. "Do you even know where my 'home' is?"

"Regardless..." Spitfire's teeth showed briefly. "...you can no longer take advantage of Captain Typhoon's good graces, so you'll be having to pick a new option."

"Is this your way of telling me to buzz off?" Flash shrugged. "Fancy Pants and Filthy Rich say that there's gonna be a celebration in the Crystal Empire." He smiled. "I was kinda sorta hoping to check it out! Unless... like... I need a Platinum Annual Pass or something."

"Hrmmmmm..." Spitfire slowly shook her head. "It's a miracle you lasted a single minute on this trip."

Flash's eyes narrowed. "You don't like me very much, do you, Captain?"

Her nostrils merely flared. Flash waited for an answer, but she wasn't about to give it. She turned around with a flick of her tail. "I must go and converse with Typhoon. The two of us will need to make adjustments for our descent..."

Flash called after her: "Y'know... it was never my intent to drive a wedge between you and Soarin'."

Spitfire scuffled to a stop.

"But even still... you can't deny..." Flash took a breath. "...that there's a distinct lack of anything there... and that it doesn't take that big a lever to pull the gap even wider."

Spitfire looked over her shoulder. "You let me worry about protecting Soarin, kid."

"Protecting Soarin—how?" Flash blinked. "As you expect him to be? Or as he could be?"

To Flash's surprise, Spitfire didn't jump at his throat for saying that. The next breath out of her was a somber sigh. "I know he's not exactly happy where he's at."

Flash's brow furrowed. "You know that he doesn't enjoy being a Wonderbolt?"

"Wow. You can actually listen. Bravo."

"Then why haven't you made any attempt to talk him out of—"

At last, Spitfire snarled: "Because I cannot make that decision for him!" She huffed. "He needs to be the one to take iniative! He's a grown-ass stallion! I would expect no less of him."

"Captain, with all due respect, what you expect of him is a loyal wingpony," Flash Sentry said. "And so long as Soarin fills that role, he won't do anything to back down. He can't... even if it means doing something fulfilling in his life." He bit his lip. "He... respects you too much to risk hurting things with such a choice."

Spitfire fumed, staring off.

"Look... it's okay to care for the dude," Flash said. "I like him too... but I haven't served alongside him for years like you have. You're his commanding officer and I can only guess what all of that might entail. But... as his friend..." He slowly shook his head. "...don't you think you can afford to screw protocol and speak to him as a pal?"

Silence, save for the blistering winds.

Flash sighed, waving a hoof. "Look. I overstepped my bounds. I know. Just, whatever you do... don't take this all out on him—"

"You're nothing but a sissy punk," Spitfire grunted. "You show up out of nowhere—full of feathers and farts—and yet you have no problem chewing me out."

Flash did a double-take. "Hey look, I was just—"

She wasn't finished: "And in all these years, Soarin can't summon the same kind of courage to so much as look me in the eyes..." She turned to face the teenager. "Until last night." Her scowl was a melting thing, the first time Flash pictured her as vulnerable. "Whatever the heck it is you're doing, kid, it's working."

Flash slowly shook his head. "I'm not the one who has to let him go, Captain."

"... ... ..."

"I'm glad I met Soarin. He's a real bro." Flash pointed. "But you? You're his friend and his main source of inspiration. Quite frankly... you're the one who has to let him go... to allow him to go on and do more fulfilling things in his life. And you gotta tell him that too."

Spitfire stifled a groan. She ran a hoof through her mane. "Years ago... when we first began flying together... I never thought it would come to this..." She clenched her jaw. "I never signed up for this fluffy emotional hogwash..."

Flash Sentry smirked. "And here I thought being a Wonderbolt meant going above and beyond."

Spitfire flashed him a look.

He smiled smugly back.

"Hrmmmfff..." Wings flashing, she took off for the far end of the Midnight Oil to deal with one task or another. "You know nothing, kid."

Flash stood calmly in her wake. "Don't I...?"

PreviousChapters Next