• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,426 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,426

PreviousChapters Next
Sample

"But Brad! You've got to sample some of these Northern Spice Dusted rolls!" Bon Bon insisted. She wore a thoroughly-splotched apron in the middle of large, bustling, royal kitchen in the heart of the Crystal Palace. Dozens of crystal ponies were swiftly mass-producing breaded treats under the direction of her, Cup Cake, and Carrot Cake. Despite the organized chaos, it was a remarkably upbeat scene, and the excitement of the moment vibrated out of Bon Bon's fuzzy eartips as she smiled and hoofed a bite towards the young stallion before her. "You're the one who wrangled up this motley crew of organizers! Your opinion matters!"

Flash Sentry stifled a yawn. He was running slow on sleep... and even thinner on steam. It took a great deal of effort just to stand up, and the one thing keeping him afloat was a persistently wry grin. "No. The crystal ponies' opinion matters! They're the ones who are hosting this whole event!"

"And it's to treat and welcome the taste buds of Equestrian citizens far and wide!" Bon Bon frowned, although a layer of playful resolve laced the edges of her muzzle. "You gotta tell me what you think!"

"Please. I gotta stay fuzzy and impartial," Flash slurred, trying not to drool. He shook his head and allowed the rush of blood to coax him slightly more awake. "Besides—trust me—my taste buds aren't exactly as up to par as you think."

"Well, I gotta get a taste test from somepony!" Bon Bon pouted.

"A-ahem..." A dainty hoof reached in. Bowing, Fancy Pants took a slice of dessert with telekinesis and floated it towards his muzzle. "Allow me."

"Oh! Hey there... Mister..." Flash smiled dizzily at him. "...Fancy Pantsandexplosionsss—whew!"

"Hrmmmmm..." Fancy Pants nibbled on the morsel. "Hmmmmm...!" He slowly nodded, his monocoled gaze searching the steamy ceiling of the bustling kitchen. At long last, he swallowed his bite and smiled. "Subtle cinnamon... with a touch of vanilla." A breath. "Goes in smooth and goes down even smoother! Why, I feel like my insides have gone soft with delight!"

"Oh! That's great!" Bon Bon did a little jig in place. "Woo! I just knew the batter was thin enough! I hate making treats that feel like rocks in a pony's stomach!" She smiled gratefully at the aristocratic stallion. "So, you liked it, sir?"

"Indeed I did, madame!" Fancy Pants stood tall. "I suspect the dignitaries from Canterlot will think no less! And they're a group of ponies who are positively spoiled on sweet delicacies. Trust me." He chuckled, adjusting the collar of his jacket. "I'm quite an expert!"

"Heeheehee..."

"I'm not certain I've introduced myself." He bowed slightly. "I am Fancy Pants, owner of the Midnight Oil and—"

"Oooh! You were the one who led the expedition to the diamond dogs' home!"

"Quite right. Although—I'm certain Prince Blueblood might be apt to argue one or two points concerning the matter. But Prince Blueblood can also go soak his head in the cream dispenser!"

"Hahaha! Okay then...!"

"I trust you are the entrepreneurial Miss Bon Bon from Ponyville."

"Why... yes..." Bon Bon blinked. "Have you heard of me?"

"I just got back from appraising the baked goods that the Cakes are making," Fancy Pants said, gesturing across the kitchen. "Such a fine couple. They speak very highly of you."

"Oh... yes... uhm..." Bon Bon blushed slightly. "We all get along well in Ponyville. I suppose one would... expect us to be more competitive, but it's just not in our spirit to clash over foodstuffs. Besides... we don't exactly rob from each other's clientele."

"I take it you're an expert confectioner and they're gifted in bread baking."

"That's one way of putting it."

"Well, jolly good spirit—the whole lot of you." Fancy Pants grinned. "No doubt—in preparing to make the whole of Equestria swoon—you've done a fine job impressing the Crystal Imperialist workhorses who have volunteered to assist you."

"Oh... uh... sure!"

"A fine thing!" Fancy Pants said with a wink. "We are here to make friends, after all. Unification and such." He turned to look at Flash. "Right, Brad, old chap?"

"Heeeeeeeeeeey..." Flash Sentry grinned stupidly as he teetered before an open vat of twirling taffy. "...where's Bad Mr. Frosty? Talk about a cheap-ass grab throw... mgrhhhhg... is that your best, Interplay?" And he teetered too far—

"By George!" Fancy Pants grimaced, leaping forward.

He caught the teenager before he could collapse into the bin. Then—with a carefree cough—he led the stallion towards the side room adjacent to the kitchen.

"Brad? Are you... quite alright?"

"Do you think if..." Flash's eyes rolled a he struggled to stay upright. "...if m-my favorite character in M*A*S*H was Corporal Klinger..." He squinted at Fancy Pants. "...does that make me The Gays?"

"Dare I ask, my boy, when was the last time you got some sleep?"

"Oh, I dunno." Flash rubbed his head, squinting towards the brightly-lit kitchen. "At least one and a half story arcs ago."

"Hrmmm..." Fancy smirked. "I must say, you're making even less sense than usual."

"Then that must mean I'm improving." Flash giggled like a schoolgirl. "Phweeee."

"Ah. Yes. I see." Fancy guided Flash over to a chair. "Take a load off, ol' chap. Soarin is busy having a meeting with Spitfire. I shall see to it that your fellow organizers are tended to. Do not worry." He winked assuringly. "I shan't steal your thunder."

"My... Thor...?"

"This was your idea, after all. And while it may not be quite what either myself or Filthy Rich had in mind, I must say you came through when we needed a savior most!" Fancy patted him on the shoulder. "Catch some shuteye. When you wake, I shall fill you in on how the operation is going."

"Can't... sleep..." Flash said, nevertheless reclining back.

"Why not?"

"The morality horse... will..." A yawn. A closing of the eyes. A deflating smile. "...catch me..."

And he was out like a waning moon.

PreviousChapters Next