• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,425 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,425

PreviousChapters Next
Hover

The sun was halfway down the horizon, although it felt to Flash as though the sunset was rotating around him. This was likely due to him flying around in little pony circles with his little pony wings. The movement came easier and easier, with each miniscule twitch and pivot of the wings throwing his body into... remarkably simple pitches and yaws. He kept a particularly tall tree to his left as he continued his counter-clockwise orbit. A blonde mare perched on a branch, munching on the last remaining muffins inside her basket.

"Mrmmmfff..." Derpy gulped, smiled, and gulped again. "I've said it before and I'll say it again! You're a natural, Mr. Bard!"

"Only because you're a natural—whoah!" He flew too close to the lofty tree and juked sideways to dodge a branch. He recovered with a chuckle and a smile. "N-natural teacher!"

"Mmm-mmm!" She hummed into a morsel of muffin, swallowed it, and offered: "Navigating the skies is born in every pegasus! I keep telling you that!" She winked. "You just needed the right kind of push."

"You should give yourself more credit Miss Hooves," Flash said. "I bet there are tons of flightless pegasi who could learn a thing or two from you."

"Heehee..." She folded her forelimbs, leaning up against the narrowing tree trunk behind her. "I wouldn't make much of a living if I offfered nothing but flight lessons."

"Oh?"

"I think... the locals are a bit too scared to let me give them a helping wing."

"Pfffft." Flash's smirk streaked past her in orbit. "They're paranoid fuzzballs!"

"They can't be blamed, though." Derpy cleared her throat, brushing a golden strand or two behind her fuzzy ear. Her face was a tranquil deadpan. "I... uh... don't exactly have the best reputation when it comes to... mmmm... flight safety."

"Well, that changes today!"

Derpy's eyes squinted in opposite directions. "You fell to the earth over a dozen times before you caught your own wind, Mr. Bard."

"So? It worked in the end!" Flash threw his weight to the side, twirling in mid-glide. He evened out, grinning sideways. "What these ponies need to do is learn to roll with the punches! Sometimes there are bumps in life, after all!"

"Heehee... Ponyville has had its fair share of bumps! That's for sure!"

"Well, if nopony has told the locals how good of a teacher you are, then I'll be the first to do it!" Flash beamed. "I'll give you my own kickass endorsement! I'll even commit it to paper... erm... despite how bad my teeth-writing is."

"Really?" She exhaled. Eyes shook, rotated—and she tilted forward with muzzle agape. "You'll do that? For me?!"

"Heck yeah, girl! You'll be swimming in moolah in no time!"

"Uhhhhh..."

"Or... m-maybe muffins?" He smiled nervously.

"Hooooooray!" Derpy teetered off the branch's edge and caught him in mid-flight with a squeezing hug. "That's so kind of you, Mr. Bard!"

"Guhhh!" He winced, hooves flailing as he nearly plummeted from the sudden shift in weight.

"Whooops!" Derpy wheezed. She thrust her wings out, threw the weight of the two in the opposite direction, and flicked her wing for counterbalance. "Stay calm! Even out! Flap—"

She was barely finished with the command when Flash naturally threw himself into a mid-air hover. "Whew!" He chuckled nervously. "See? I got this covered."

"My b-bad." Derpy blushed heavily. "I nearly threw my only successful client to is death! Murder is the worst kind of death..."

"Hey...! It's okay...! Check it...!" Holding his breath, Flash did a backflip... then rocketed his body into a figure-eight. He came back with a twirl, then hovered once again in front of her. "Swag."

"Hmmmmm..." Derpy leaned belly-first across the branch, cradling her gray chin on a pair of dainty fetlocks. "You make it look so snazzy."

"Well, it's all in the head, I think," Flash said. "At first, I was freaking out about getting my weight off the ground. But then I realized that... like... so long as you realize that you're a tiny pony with tiny wings... you can throw yourself anywhere! You dig?"

"How can I dig?" Derpy blinked crookedly. "We're both sixty feet off the ground!"

Flash sighed, although it was through a smile. "I feel bad that we never hung out before."

"Hmmm?" Derpy sat up, ears twitching in confusion. "You were in Ponyville before?" Those same fuzzy lobes sloped back guiltily. "I-I'm sorry for forgetting—"

"No, I mean... heh..." Flash slicked his mane back, smirking into the golden breeze of the dying day. "I'm feeling a bit feather-brained from all those near-concussions. Don't mind me."

"Oh, that's simple!" Derpy giggle-snorted. "I'm very good at not minding anything!"

"I... uh..." Flash winced slightly, gazing down at the gold-thatched rooftops. "I really hope that I didn't rob you or nothing."

"Huh?"

"Well, this was a 'free lesson'... and I've taken so much of your time. Erm..." He nervously rubbed the back of his head while hovering up high. "...all this time you could have been serving clients at your shop..."

"Ehhhhhh..." Derpy waved a hoof. Her tongue stuck out momentarily. "No big whoopie cushion. Teehee... I'll catch up with them sooner than later! There's always tomorrow."

"You... don't have any fear of going bankrupt?" Flash asked.

"Huh?" Derpy was almost yawning. "Why should I?"

Flash sighed long and hard. He smiled into the setting sun, feeling the toasty golden sky pouring into him. "Guess there really isn't much to be scared of here in Equestria."

"I... wouldn't say that, Mr. Bard," Derpy stammered. She shivered slightly. "We have plenty of hydras... dragons... diamond dogs... timberwolves... and changelings. Brrrrrrrr..." She shook from head to tail, her backhairs rising like a gray tabby cat's. "Nothing against changelings, but they're just so... prickly. And squirmy." Shivering, she scarfed down a muffin for comfort.

"You can name all the things you're scared of here?" Flash said.

"Mrmmmffff..." Derpy gulped. She rubbed the crumbs off her muzzle, nodding. "Uh huh."

Flash's ears drooped. He gazed towards the darker horizon behind them. "Sounds wonderful."

Derpy tilted her head aside. "... ... ...you're a very interesting stallion, Mr. Bard."

"Flash."

"Huh?"

"It's Flash Sentry." He turned, offering her a gentle smile. "I think you deserve to know by now."

She stared... then stared some more. At some point, her eyes centered—or at least they almost did. "It isn't... anymore, is it?"

Flash lowered slightly in his hover, his eyes trained on her.

Derpy smiled in spite of the tense silence.

"Uhm... if I endorse you as 'Brad,' I think more ponies are gonna know who said it," Flash said with a hopeful smile.

"Hmmmmm..." Derpy nodded. "I can't thank you enough."

"No, I can't thank you enough." Flash looked at his wings. "This means a whole lot to me."

"Hehe... I can tell."

"I swear, I'm going to tell everypony I see that Derpy Hooves taught me how to fly." His eyes flickered, and he smiled with renewed enthusiasm. "And..." He angled his wings, diving towards the golden rooftops of Ponyville. "...I know just where to start!"

PreviousChapters Next