• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,426 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,426

PreviousChapters Next
Radiance

Gently—somewhat uncertain of how assertively to commit to the gesture—Flash Sentry reached up and moved Princess Cadance's hoof from his muzzle.

"I never asked for any of this," he said.

"Any of what?" she asked in a quiet tone.

He fumed slightly. "For Princess Celestia's pupil to cross the portal, come into my life, and shove it straight down the wood chipper." He clenched his teeth. "Then for Celestia's second pupil to waltz in and confuse the Hell out of all the lingering pieces laid to bare."

Cadance simply nodded.

Flash leaned back, his ears folding. "How... how much do you know?" His voice fluttered between something vulnerable and yearning. "How much did she tell you?"

"I knew about Princess Twilight's first venture through the portal because I was there. I witnessed her enter... and I was there when she finally emerged." Her eyes lit up with the recollection. "The moment she returned to Equestria, I knew that something was... different about her."

Flash Sentry shuddered. His gaze fell like a loose ball to the floor.

"You must understand—I've known Twilight Sparkle all her life. She was just a little filly when I first saw her. In fact, I used to foalsit for her on many an occasion. I watched with sisterly pride as she grew up into a remarkable young mare. After marrying her brother, I'm proud to have joined her family. And yet—in all the time I've known her—I had never seen her radiate with as much love as I had anticipated from her youth. It didn't happen during her teenage years... and it didn't happen after she moved to Ponyville. Oh, she found love there, for certain. The same sort of love and trust that blossoms in an undying friendship. But true love? Love that ignites the core... that excites every corner of the equine being...?"

Hesitantly, Flash raised his eyes like a sad puppy's.

"She came out of that portal a changed mare. She had found something that gave her a new light... a new radiance. Others could scarcely see it through her dutiful exterior and serious veneer... but it was not lost to me. I was positively blinded by the fire inside my precious little Twilight... and I couldn't have been happier."

Flash swallowed a lump down his throat. His next words were given delicately, woundedly. "What h-happened to it?"

Cadance took a deep breath. Leaning back, she softly said, "More than anything in life, I believe in the power of love. For that sake, I mustn't be dishonest and deny how fleeting it can be. The brightest fires fizzle and die if they are not kindled... preserved... fueled. Twilight is no stranger to refusing the beauty of that which is right in front of her. But she's also a very different pony than you and me... with burdens and responsibilities that neither of us can come close to imagining."

"She... was too important for... for what we had..." Flash Sentry gulped. "For what we c-could have had..."

Cadance slowly shook her fair head. "I do not know why Twilight Sparkle allowed the light within her to dwindle. For that reason, I am not the pony who can tell you the truth." Her gaze hardened. "But somepony can tell you, Flash Sentry. And—more than anypony—you deserve to cross that thresshold a changed soul as well."

"I... I'm not sure I'm ready to ch-change," Flash murmured.

"Mmmm... a sentiment we have all shared at one point or another." She smiled gently at him. "Loneliness... sadness... dejection... they all become comfy, warm blankets after we've slept in them long enough. But at some point we must step out and face the day if we are to accomplish anything."

"I'm... not good at accomplishing things."

"Then why did you bother stepping through the mirror to begin with?"

"... ... ..."

"Princess Twilight is hardly the only one with an important mission kiting her between worlds," Princess Cadance said. "No soul—no matter how solitary or small—is any more or less important than the rest that this universe has to offer." She rested a hoof on his shoulder. "Stepping through the mirror was bold, Flash Sentry, but it wasn't your bravest step yet. There's someone waiting to be saved, and the first step towards that is waiting for you right now."

Flash stifled a whimper. His voice wavered, "I-I'm not sure I'm ready..."

"I know." Cadance smiled. "That is why I shall help you."

PreviousChapters Next