• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,425 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,425

PreviousChapters Next
Crew

"A-a-ahem..." The mustached unicorn squinted aside. "Captain, if you wouldn't mind..."

The superior officer nodded, then proceeded to bark to all of the subordinates on deck. "Back to your stations, everypony! The crisis has been averted!"

"But Captain..." One deckhoof with folded ears meekly pointed at the fizzled beacon in the sky. "The flare—"

"What's done is done!" the Captain exclaimed. "No doubt the Wonderbolts will have had their reconnaissance interrupted by now. Let's not focus on that, and instead prepare for entering canine mountainspace! I want all sentries minding their posts! Keep an eye out for the summits! Those dogs could be anywhere!"

"Aye, sir!"

"Right away, sir!"

As ponies in uniforms galloped left and right, the unicorn with a monocle calmly trotted across the way and came to a stop before Flash Sentry. "So, then... what name might I put into the logbook for a commendation?"

Flash gave the aristocrat a double-take. "Huh? Commendation?"

The unicorn smirked. "I wasn't being coy, my good fellow. You did save a Prince just now. Surely this will improve your chances at receiving a promotion in your Brigade."

"Brigade?" Flash blinked. "Dude, I was just... y'know... out for a rip." He smiled crookedly. "A sky rip?"

The gentlecolt across from him adjusted his monocle. "You mean to tell me you're not a member of the Canterlot Guard out on patrol?"

"Uhhhh... no?"

"But these are treacherous clouds! The diamond dogs own these skies—as well as the mountains!"

"Diamond dogs?" Flash tilted his head aside. "You mean like David Bowie?"

"I beg your pardon?"

Flash fidgeted. "... ... ...Halloween Jack?"

The stallion chuckled. "Forgive me for being so curious. Are you or are you not a member of the Equestrian Defense force?"

"I'm sorry. I was just... y'know... flying." Flash gestured at the headphones hanging around his neck. "And rockin' some really awesome tunes in the process. Heh. Ever listened to Vinyl Scratch's stuff?"

"I... can't say that I have." The aristocrat cleared his throat. "Maybe a proper introduction would be in order."

"Yeah, sure."

He bowed before Flash with a soft smile. "My name is Fancy Pants. Entrepreneur. Philanthropist. Businessstallion."

"Snappy dresser."

"Cheers!" Fancy Pants gestured around him. "Welcome aboard the Midnight Oil. My latest prized zeppelin of Manehattan Engineering." He winked through his monocle. "I own an entire fleet of them, you see."

"Cool beans!" Flash smiled.

"Er... yes... they most certainly... are?"

The Captain strolled up. "Mr. Pants, we have resumed our course west into the canine lands."

"Ah!" Fancy Pants stepped towards the Captain's side. "And this lovely officer is the esteemed Captain Typhoon!"

The prim and proper stallion took a deep breath. "Captain Typhoon of the Twenty-Fourth Pegasus Brigade—"

"So formal! But then again..." Fancy Pants chuckled. "That's one of the reasons why I chose him to oversee this most fortuitous expedition." He patted the officer's uniformed shoulder. "Do loosen up, ol' chap! We started the morning with a miracle, didn't we?"

Captain Typhoon exhaled out his nostrils. "It will only be worth celebrating if we end this mission with one."

"Stiff upper lip! We'll have a plan drafted up as soon as the Wonderbolts return! I trust they are flying back to the Midnight Oil by now."

"No doubt they would have seen the flare, Mr. Pants."

"Very well. We'll make the best of it." Fancy Pants turned towards Flash, smiling. "And as for you—young one—they're bound to make a statue out of you in the royal gardens."

Flash blinked. "Who are?"

"Why, the Blueblood family, of course. Or at least Her Royal Highness Princess Azul."

"Gesundheit."

"Quite true, my good lad. Good deeds like this don't go unrewarded, especially when executed so casually by a random, humble civilian. What might your name be so that we could inscribe it on a plaque in due time?"

"Uhm..." Flash coughed. "Brad."

Fancy Pants stared at him. "Brad Breeze? Brad Skies? Brad Summers?"

"Nope. Just Brad."

"Hmmmm... how curiously monosyllabic. Forgive my old-fashioned nature, but just what inspires a name such as that?"

"Nothing much. I assure you."

"Well, it will make for an interesting plaque, I'm sure," Fancy Pants said. "I'm sure His Eminence will agree."

Flash looked towards the cabin. "What... are you dudes doing out here anyway?"

"Why, we're—"

Captain Typhoon cleared his throat.

Fancy Pants looked aside. "Why, my good Captain! It's no national secret!"

"The success of this mission depends on the utmost secrecy," Typhoon declared.

"What, do you suspect this young stallion of being in league with a rogue group of militant canines?" Fancy Pants suppressed a laugh. "Besides, you know how gossipy the farm folk of Equestria are! More ponies than we expect must be knowledgeable of our expedition by now."

Typhoon's eyes narrowed on Flash. "You truly weren't informed of the forbidden skies around these parts?"

"Uhhh... well... just how 'forbidden' are we talking about?" Flash gulped. "Am I about to have my manure pushed in or something?"

"Nothing of the sort!" Fancy Pants exclaimed. "We're blessed to have someone as courageous as you on board!" He squinted aside at Typhoon. "Isn't that right, Captain?"

The Captain sighed. "Mr. Pants..."

"You... do remember who owns the Midnight Oil, yes?"

A low growling sound surfaced in the uniformed horse's throat, only to diminish beneath a soft sigh. "We must have some degree of protocol around here, sir... or else I fear this expedition will end in failure."

"Something we can indeed work on once the Wonderbolts return, dear Captain."

"We shall see. I must observe the crew. If you will pardon me." Typhoon then trotted off.

"Okay... question..." Flash scratched his fuzzy orange chin. "How does a pony without wings get to be a Captain in the Twenty-Fourth Pegasus Brigade?"

"A most sore subject, I assure you." Fancy Pants hummed. "Very wise of you to wait until after he's left earshot to mention it, young lad."

"Right. I'll keep mum about it from now on."

"Now, I'm dying to ask. Precisely where do you hail from, Mr. Brad?"

"Uhhhhhhhhhh..." Flash fumbled with the headphones around his neck. "Someplace far away."

"Oh? You mean a city like Seaddle? Fillyda? Neighva Scotia?"

Flash tripped on his tongue. "Ponyville."

"Hah! Ponyville?!" Fancy Pants grinned. "Why, that's not very far away at all!"

"Er..."

"But a lot of truly wonderful things come from Ponyville," Fancy Pants said warmly. "Not to mention truly wonderful ponies. I'm not surprised even the slightest. It's good to have you on board."

Flash exhaled with relief. "It's good to be on board." And he smiled, for he was telling the truth.

PreviousChapters Next