• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,426 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,426

PreviousChapters Next
Beneath

Noise...

A gentle thudding sound... ...

Something that resembled thunder... a persistent beat... ... ...

Flash Sentry's eyes fluttered open.

He sat up on the cot in the corner of his cell. A series of bright lamps illuminated the small rectangular chamber and the space beyond the bars outside. It wasn't too claustrophobic of a space, and the place where he had to lie down was sufficiently cushioned.

But prison was still prison.

He had lost track of how long he had been in there. At some point—countless hours ago—he had been escorted quietly to this lone spot downstairs. It was beneath the Palace... or perhaps it was beneath the Crystal Empire's police department. There was really no way of telling... nor of caring.

Flash ran his hooves over his face, trying to rub the exhaustion and ennui out of his system. Failing.

The thudding persisted. It was accompanied this time by something else... a gentle percussion of countless voices—shouting, cheering, laughing.

The Celebration.

Flash took a deep breath.

One way or another, it was transpiring after all.

Even if it transpired without him.

That—if nothing else—brought a stab of relief to the bubble that had formed around his spirit.

It wasn't enough to make him smile.

Flash stood up. Trotting slowly across the scant space of his cell, he ran a free hoof across the concrete wall. He delighted in the vibrations that he felt through his fetlock... the inkling of a melodic beat rippling in some unseen distance... bringing mirth and hope to somepony... anypony. He imagined dignitaries from all across Equestria stumbling upon the decorations Derpy Hooves had made, delighting to the music that Lyra, Octavia, and Vinyl were performing, engorging themselves on the treats that Bon Bon and the Cakes had made. Above ground—beyond sight—the world was bouncing... living... fluttering.

It was just as well.

These thoughts sealed the moment with enough purpose, at least. And as the hours limped on—blending together like a stale soup—Flash could almost ignore the fact that he hadn't seen anyone or talked to anyone or been spoken to in the entire space of a day.

It was a sensation he was more than a little bit familiar with. In some haunting fashion, it made him feel more at home down there.

Finally giving into exhaustion, he returned to the cot and lay on his side. He squinted across the gray fuzz of his confines... imagining he was staring at a dull computer monitor across a dust-laden room that hadn't seen sunlight in lifetimes. The fascimile of a teenage boy stared back from the otherworldly sheen, and Flash descended into the sullen distance dwindling between them.

It wasn't sleep that greeted him, but something far duller. He accepted it for what it was worth, and rolled on into far fuzzier thoughts—noble and lonesome.

PreviousChapters Next