• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,425 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,425

PreviousChapters Next
Wake

"—aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

Flash's pony eyes flew open.

His pony ears pivoted skyward.

In a jolt, the waking pegasus leapt up to his hooves, perched atop a lofty mountaintop. He looked up towards the dimly-lit haze of an early dawn.

In a blink, he saw the source of the screaming voice. A body was falling. A child's body—a child horse in a deathly plummet.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaah!"

"Holy boobjobs!" Flash gnashed his teeth. The scent of muffins wafted magically through his nose, and in the next adrenalized breath he was leaping off the cliffside with both wings outstretched like Derpy taught him. "Hang on! I've got you!"

The child said nothing—he only screamed. It was a colt—or so Flash surmised, for the falling body was streaking past him and sailing towards the rock-hard valley below.

"Ah jeez!" Flash's flight turned into a dive as he struggled to outfly the child's terminal velocity. The exhaustion of sleep flew out of his mind like a torn banner, and her burst on through with steely determination. Within milliseconds, he was gaining speed on the child, drawing close enough to see the colt's glistening horn, his flailing legs, and his rippling blonde mane. "Don't worry, kid!" He reached out with his hands. "I've got you—!"

The foal slipped through his fingers... just as Flash suddenly remembered he did not have fingers. Or hands.

"Sh-shit!" Flash cursed his dreamself and flapped his wings in an angry burst, missiling downward at Herculean speeds. "Just a second! I swear—" Trees and dirt materialized in his peripheral. The two of them were so close to the bottom of the valley that he could smell lichen and fungus. "Grnnnnngh—"

At long last, he outflew the foal's descent, barreled under him, and caught the child's flailing body in the crook of his fetlocks—just like he might catch a football back home.

"There!" He pivoted his wings and flapped them sideways, ascending before the two of them could become glue smears on the ravine floor. "Ha! Boo-ya!" Sweating, Flash cradled the shivering youngster in his forelimbs. "See? Told you I would—"

"You stupid filthy peasant!" The child grunted, slapping Flash's shoulder and neck repeatedly with dainty hooves. Flash smelled cologne and talcum powder. He realized that the angry child was dressed snugly in a silk jacket with aristocratic finery. "You nearly dropped me! What kind of a Wonderbolt are you?! Where's your uniform?!"

"Uhhhhhhhh..." Flash blinked. Hard. "You're welcome?" His orange muzzle scrunched. "And what's a 'Wonderbolt?'"

"This is all that upstart businessstallion's fault! Sending Spitfire, Soarin', and all the good fliers off to snoop around those smelly canines!"

"Kid, what are you even—"

"Take me back! Take me back nowww!" The child started sniffling. Tears ran down his pale muzzle and ruined his immaculate collar. "I want to see my Uncle! I want to see my Uncle Bluuuuue! Waaaaaaaah!"

Flash winced as the blubbering colt sobbed and wailed in his grasp. "Kid, just hold on a second. Who's Uncle Blue? And... and..." He gritted his teeth. "Where the Hell did you even fall from anyways—?"

Just as he said this, an immense shadow drew over the two of them. Flash looked up past the summits of the mountains flanking the ravine.

A large, elliptical body was cruising through the dim dawn sky. Flash observed a hard wooden finish, along with portholes, a rudder, and even an anchor. For all intents and purposes, it was as though he was gazing up at the lower hull of a sailing vessel. But then—as the vessel turned about... as if to search for something missing—Flash noticed a thick set of elongated balloons holding the craft aloft, almost like—

"A zeppelin?" Flash couldn't help but smile. The sobs of the colt felt like they were miles away, displaced by a sudden and inescapable bubble of magic horsie wonder. Smirking, Flash adjusted his grip of the foal, flapped his wings harder... and ascended to meet up with the large drifting sky vessel.

PreviousChapters Next