• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,426 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,426

PreviousChapters Next
Pound

"Do you poniesssss..." Spot shuffled forward, eyes peering. "...really believe that every individual ssssshouldn't be forcccced to dig?"

"Of course not!" Soarin' exclaimed. "Why? Is that different from what diamond dogs believe?"

"The earth belongssss to usss!" Rover said. "Any sssssecond we ssssspend not digging for jewelsss isssss a wassste!"

"Missss Rarity wasss ssssstealing our jewelsss!" Spot added. "We figured—in time—sssshe would learn to like the work!"

"After all, it benefited the pack!" Fido added.

"And the good of the pack is more important than the good of the runt!" Rover finished. "It'ssss the way of all thingssss." He winced, ears drooping as he smiled bashfully. "Well... uhhh... diamond dog thingssss."

Soarin' frowned. "I can't believe how you could possibly use that to excuse the willful enslavement of a unicorn citizen—"

Flash rested a hoof on the wonderbolt's shoulder, silencing him. He glanced calmly in the canines' direction. "I feel for my buddy here. It shocks me—too—that you would enslave an innocent pony to do your dirty work." He gestured. "But I get the feeling that the nature of the crime sorta... goes over your head."

"Maybe if... uh..." Fido scratched his scalp. "...you explain it again?"

"Dummy!" Spot swatted his hindquarters. "The poniessss have already explained it! Do we have to hammer it into your thick ssssskull?"

"What about your thick ssssskull?" Fido barked.

"Grrrrrrrgh!" Rover hissed.

Flash gave a shrill whistle.

All three looked at him.

"And..." He smiled tiredly. "The idea of diamond dogs owning all jewels in the earth flies waaaay over our heads."

"But how?" Rover cocked his head to the side. "Isn't it obvious?"

Soarin' face-hoofed.

"I wish I could say it was," Soarin said. "To be perfectly honest, every time I try to process the concept in my head, I feel dumber. Almost insulted. But..." He sighed. "...if there's anything I've learned about from... the land where I come from—it's that failing to have an open mind leads to nothing but limbo and misery."

"Well, what'ssss the point in doing anything now?!" Spot squealed. "The Hawkeye Pack issss flat broke!"

"Nobody in High Paw resssspectsss ussss anymore!" Rover whimpered. "Our pressstige issss gone thanksss to that awful whiney pony!"

"At leasssst if we had ssssmassshed the negotiationsss with the catapult, we could have gotten back at everyone!" Fido exclaimed.

"How?!" Flash wheezed. "How would ruining the future for both High Paw and Equestria have helped anyone... especially you in your current predicament?"

"Uhhhhhhhhh..." Fido looked blankly at the others. "It... would have felt good to... smassssh things?"

Rover face-pawed with a groan.

"And just how long would you have enjoyed that meager satisfaction until the consequences came back to bite you in the ass?" Flash smirked bitterly. "Seriously—you might as well have voted for Harambe at the Council."

"Okay..." Soarin' grumbled. "...now I've got absolutely no clue what that means."

Flash leaned aside. "Hope you never do," he whispered.

"We get it, pony," Rover muttered. "You are trying to help ussss. I can ssssee that now." He shrugged. "But I really don't ssssee what you and your friend here can do!"

"Maybe you're right," Flash said with a nod. "Maybe we can't do anything." He smirked. "But I know some ponies and dogs who just might." He waved in the general direction of High Paw. "The representatives of your elders and Equestria's elite are just over there. How about approaching them calmly... peacefully... with words instead of boulders?"

"I... uh..." Rover rubbed one of his hind legs sheepishly. "I dunno..."

"Did it feel good to tell us the truth just now?"

"Mmmmm... kind of?"

"Then imagine bringing it before a forum of experts who want peace and prestige for every pack just like you do?"

The trio exchanged glances.

Spot squinted. "Do... you think they will find a way to get ussss back what we've losssst?"

"I don't know. But you're asking the wrong pony." Flash waved. "All I ask is that you have a little bit of faith... just like Soarin' and I showed by coming here and talking to you three." His muzzle curved. "And look how far that's gotten us."

The canines contemplated that. Drawing closer together, the three murmured and whispered in a tight hairy huddle.

Soarin' leaned in towards Flash. "You know... you've got the gift."

"Pffft..." Flash shrugged it off. He talked out the side of his muzzle. "Just being honest and sincere."

"I mean it. Investigation... negotiation... logical deduction..." Soarin' winked. "If I didn't know better, I'd say you'd make a great royal guard someday."

"Please..." Flash rolled his eyes. "Now that's the stupidest thing I've ever head. And I just spent the last hour talking to the Pound Puppies."

PreviousChapters Next