Reviews of MLP:FiM 47 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Magic135
Group Admin

MLP Reviews

Looks like the ok episodes are still coming with The Last Roundup, which stars our favorite cowgirl, Applejack. I normally like her episodes, but this is one of those that’s just fine, not good, just fine. You know what, let’s look at the story first before I explain why its fine.

Applejack leaves Ponyville to compete in the Equestia Rodeo Competition to win some money to fix up town hall. On the day she was supposed to return, the rest of the Mane 6 get a note from her saying she won’t be coming back just yet. Puzzled by this, the group heads out to find AJ and found her at another western town, Dodge Junction, where she’s helping out Cherry Jubilee, for a “change of scenery” as she puts it. But the girls know the farm gal is hiding something and won’t leave until they find out what it is.

So, what’s my problem with the episode? The answer? Applejack. I can get why she’s not saying anything until the end of the episode. She made a promise to Mayor Mare that she’d bring back some money to fix town hall, and she couldn’t comeback emptyhoofed, hence why she’s helping Cherry, to try to get some bits for the town. But I think she wasn’t at her best here. As the Element of Honesty, she should’ve told her friends what happened at the rodeo and why she couldn’t come home, they could’ve helped her out with this. I know AJ has a lot of pride and doesn’t like admitting she failed something, but she should’ve come clean with her friends and while we did get that at the end, I felt the truth should’ve happened round the middle of the episode.

I do like the moments where the girls try to make Applejack spill the beans, which did lead to some fun scenes, from the cherry sorting, the final chase and we get a funny bit on what happens when if you break a promise to Pinkie.

Pinkie Pie: Applejack! [slightly distorted] You Pinkie promised!
Applejack: [yelps]

And ok, let’s talk about the Derpy scene. On one hand, I do like that she now has a voice and the moment she has with Rainbow is fun, but on the other hand, I can understand why the scene has a lot of backlash surrounding it viewers think it’s offensive to mentally disabled people, and with Derpy having wall-eyes as part of her character, it’s clear that this scene is talked about first when this episode comes up. Thankfully, the crew listened and fixed the scene so that it’s not as bad as before.

While I don’t think the episode is bad, it is one of the weaker ones for this season. I’m sure it has some fans, but I don’t think I’ll be seeing this one again anytime soon. But wait, the next episode is also an Applejack story, would it be better than this? Well, we’ll find out next time.

Rating: 6/10

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1