Reviews of MLP:FiM 47 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Magic135
Group Admin

MLP Reviews

Well, after the last episode left a bad taste in everyone’s mouths, we need something good to enjoy ourselves again. And lucky for us, Sweet and Elite is that episode. Not only do we have Rarity in a staring role again, but we also see how she fits in with the upper class like she always dreamed. Is it what she always wanted? Well, let’s take a look and find out.

Rarity, with her pet cat, Opel, are visiting Canterlot, staying at the castle to work on a dress for Twilight’s birthday that’s coming up. But she has a hard time with Canterlot’s residents because they view Ponyville as a place that’s not very interesting. After bumping into the most famous upper class, Fancy Pants, he invites Rarity to many of Canterlot’s get togethers, after hearing she was staying at the castle. After being invited to a garden party which is on the same day as Twilight’s birthday, Rarity sends a letter with a lie telling her friends she won’t be able to make it back, but gets a shock when her friends show up because they don’t want Rarity to miss anything and to have the party in the ballroom next to the garden. Now Rarity has to try to be in two places at once without one group finding out about the other.

We know from episode 1 that Rarity always dreamed of living in Canterlot, being with the high class and attending the many fancy parties. But now that we see her in the city alone, we learn that she’s not happy when they find out she’s from Ponyville, as they view the town as someplace barbaric and uncouth. And like she learns in the episode, we learn that no matter where you go, never forget where you came from and who you friends are.

Along with the song, that has a good beat, I do like Fancy Pants. Unlike the other residents, he’s more down to earth and understanding, even enjoying Rarity’s friends, viewing them as charmingly rustic. The humor was good too. Not only do we see Twilight liking her dress in the way she likes, even if Rarity thinks it’s unfinished, as well as the way the purple unicorn dances, who even dances like that?

I even like how Rarity tries to be in two parties at the same time, making excuses to attend the other which leads to the funniest line in the episode…

Rainbow Dash: Uh, what's with the croquet mallet?
Rarity: [muffled by croquet mallet] What croquet mallet?
Rainbow Dash: Duh, the one in your mouth!
Rarity: [laughs nervously] Ooh, that croquet mallet.

I crack up whenever I hear that.

So, in the end, I love this episode. It builds on Rarity’s dream of living in Canterlot, Fancy is a great character and the lesson about never forgetting where you came from is wonderful to hear. If you’re a Rarity fan, go and watch is for it’s both sweet and one of the elite episodes of the series. Wait a minute, if Twilight had her friends for her party, where was Spike in all of this?

Final rating: 8/10

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1