The Amazing World of Gumball Group 238 members · 3 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

Hello my name is Twilight is the BEST and the name is absolutely right!
Now last week was a dousy. We got three new episodes (still not counting the first two) and for the most part were a blast, especially The Drama which got to be my favorite episode of season six so far.
One of the reasons is that we FINALLY got a CarWin episode! Now while I'm a big PenBall fan, I do like the CarWin ship, which is unfortunately a bit neglected compared to PenBall. Seriously, PenBall would get like a couple of episodes a season while Carwin would only get one episode per season, so its good to finally watch an episode. The other reason why I liked this episode was the build up to it. When the episode synopsis came out of Discord, it got a few fans of the ship worried a bit since it read this...

Gumball tries to protect Darwin from his unsuitable undead girlfriend Carrie.

This got fans worried that the episode would do a forced break up scenario of Darwin and Carrie. Which is understandable because of two shows that did this. The shows that I'm talking about are of course Adventure Time and Regular Show. In both shows, there are two episodes, Frost and Fire (Adventure Time), Dumped at the Altar (Regular Show). In these episodes they had two characters who were together for a while to suddenly break-up and ending any chance for their relationship. My best guess why they did this was probably teach that not all relationships last or something like that? Whatever the case, when theses episodes came out, they were universally hated by fans for these forced break-ups. I personally think why the staff did this was to just add more drama to their shows. So naturally CarWin fans had the same fear and while I believe they were still going to be together, the was some doubt in my mind. So for the next two weeks, fans waited until the actual episode aired, and fortunately for everyone, CarWin remained and not only that it also (personally to me) made fun of the Force Break-Up setup that AT and RS did. Heck I actually felt like I was Gumball in the episode since that doubt was in my head and afraid of a break-up. Also like most of the time, the show still delivers on its humor and animation, especially the third act with the animation which included my favorite joke in the episode. 2:00-2:05

So yeah this is why this is currently my favorite episode of season six.
I've been Twilight is the BEST and the name is absolutely right!

orp

Personally, I don't really care about ships in general, so that larger context didn't add much to this episode for me. Generally speaking, breaking up (or getting together) for some weird nonsensical reasons would certainly drag my impression of an episode down - but not in Gumball. If it's interesting enough, it's all good, nonsense is only expected in this series.

On its own, it might not be a great episode - few are this season, but it's a good episode. Getting Gumball invested in that relationship might not be a terribly original plot point, but it works and it definitely helped that someone other than me was, lol. Like often with this series, the episode's strength is its humour: various actual jokes as well as all the other stuff, like Gumball's contrived similes, animation style change, or doubt being physically personified - which is a very TAWOG thing to do, and I appreciate that.

If it's interesting enough, it's all good, nonsense is only expected in this series.

Not saying that the forced break-up scenario in a cartoon wouldn't work, though from what I seen its very hard to do. The only time I felt that this worked was in Kids Next Door where in the episode Operation: G.I.R.L.F.R.I.E.N.D. of the finale season where Nigel's girlfriend Lizzie breaks-up with him. It mostly worked because of the over arching plot of Nigel being chosen to go into deep space to become a Galactic Kids Next Door which meant he might never come back.

orp

Don't recall that episode, but yes, sounds reasonable.

The key thing is whether or not it makes sense. It's basically just a subset of character actions and interactions in general: there can be a good reason for some action or another, or it can be a plot convenient cop-out, or just played for a gag, etc. Good reasons differ as well - some are warranted by the plot, or established characters, others reveal something new about the characters' personalities even though they don't seem to make sense on their face.

Which options work well mostly depends on the genre of the show. Cartoons in general tended to lean towards silly comedies with little regard for consistent storytelling and characterisation. That's been slowly changing in the recent years, which is a good thing, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with a nonsense comedy type of show by itself.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4