Writer Support 254 members · 942 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

I recently posted the first chapter of a murder mystery in a New Weird AU setting.

I'm kind of worried about the pacing. I know full well that in my constant chopping and changing of the chapter, I accidentally cut out a scene where Rarity shows off her sleuthing skills. I was worried that the plot was a bit too slow and sped it up, but now I'm worried it's too fast.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5165641 Plot can be a fickle mistress, pace yourself. start off sort of slow with the plot, take time to develop characters and such, then let the plot slowly pick up. That's how I write, and I don't have much trouble... At least I think I don't... It's all up to you. If you think it is going a little too slow, give it a slight nudge, if you think it is going too quickly, pull on the reigns a bit. Don't just have the plot suddenly appear and disappear at random though, that is a bad thing. Small changes with the plot, not huge pushes or pulls.
That is the best I can word it... :twilightsheepish: Hopefully it is fine.

The problem is that I'm not sure what constitutes a plot that's too fast or slow.

5169452 Well.... That is the problem. I didn't notice until I read back through the first few chapters of my story just how quickly I kind of paced it... Though it certainly slows down later... The issue really comes in revealing certain major aspects too quickly or too late within a story, getting side tracked far too often, or slowing down progression to a near halt. As long as it moves closer in a believable way, I'd say you are doing a good job.
I'm sorry if this doesn't help :twilightblush: I'm not good at wording myself with story structure based magijers

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4