Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

The Management recommends playing "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" by Set it Off at the appropriate time.

The Bandit looked right at her. Not in a menacing or threatening way, more like he was surprised to see her on the subway. Brushing off what he just did as if it was nothing. The flames were glittering off of his huge teeth, still twisted into a manic smile. Over his shoulder was lung a sledgehammer that Marinette soon pieced together was used to beat her father bloody. His mannequin hand now seemed longer, and thinner. A result of melting from the heat of the flames.

His billboard eyes were constantly displaying the message “WELCOME MARINETTE!!”

He let go of Marinette's father with his now heat-warped plastic hand. “Now, I'm going to have to get a new one,” he grumbled, looking at the melting arm. “Maybe I can pop one out later.”

Marinette couldn't speak. She was so angry she could barely move.

“My powers are pretty damn cool, actually,” the Bandit laughed as he stepped hard on Marinette' father's chest. “I can literally make anything I want. Well, to a point. I can't just kill you by pinning the reels, I need to think of a knife or something and do the work myself. But if I wanted to make something completely new up, like... some kind of machine that edits a national monument to make it look how I want, I can totally do that! Martin called them 'Nanites,' I call them 'Vegas Architechts.'”

“You... despicable... bastard,” Marinette said shakily.

“Your right, I'm being rude,” the Bandit waved his hand in mock apology. “I mean I come to your house and...” He turned and faced the burning wreckage. “Whoo... I just make a mess of the place. I don't even take the time to greet the hostess. Marinette, right?”

Marinette looked back at her mother, then back to the Bandit. Wanting to rip the snide tongue out of his head.

“That's your mom, Sabine,” he gestured to Marinette's mother, and kicked her father hard. “This is your dad, Tom. You own, live, and work out of a bakery that your parents started the year you were born. I've seen your website! I've gotta try some of those Macarons, they look superb!” He looked back at the burning wreckage. “You know, eventually.”

Marinette made to lunge at the villain, but the Bandit casually touched the sledgehammer to her father's head. “Tsk, tsk, tsk,” he said smugly. “Now, now, Marinette, we'll get to that in a minute, but let me say my piece first. Because right now? Your dad will be fine. He'll recover from his injuries. Keep that in mind while I have this sledgehammer this close to a close relative of yours.”

Marinette stopped dead. Still shaking with anger.

“So anyway,” the Bandit continued, slinging the hammer over his shoulder again. “You're probably wondering why I did this to you. Well, other than the obvious... You know? The bad guy thing? I could have gone after Adrien, but his house is guarded like a fort, and I didn't feel like working. I could have gone after Alya and her family, but I could barely make myself care about torturing your sidekick. No, no. I wanted you. Because there's something about you I just can't stand.”

“I'm different,” Marinette said through gritted teeth. “I can't stand anything about you.”

The Bandit let out a sharp laugh. “You're bluffing,” he said with a sneer. “Not just here and now, but all the time. Every time you put on that damn mask. The cat is too, but the way you do it is so... Damned... Obvious. You're a scared little girl who got into her mother's dresser and tried on her outfits, but you try to pass yourself off as this hero that everyone can put their faith in. And the worst part is, everyone buys it. Everyone is convinced that no matter how things get, you will save them. I'm calling that bluff.

“Right now,” he looked at his wristwatch. “The cat's trying his little 'Death Touch' thing on the wall of Nanites that are surrounding the Arc, discovering that he can only destroy a fistful at a time before they replicate. It will do nothing. And the best part is, Paris will watch it do nothing. And none of them will understand why.

“Your parents are in a better position than most,” he continued. “When their daughter signed up to be a superhero, they had to know something like this could happen. So... I...” He took a look at Marinette's mother, and the shocked expression on her face.

“No...” He said with mocking glee. “You're kidding...” He began to laugh his mechanical laugh and moved away from Marinette's father. “ They didn't know?! You didn't tell your parents?! ” He doubled over, laughing. “Oh my god! I mean--” He kept laughing. “Woo, I did not see that coming, okay. Ladybug that is cold. I mean, for god's sake, what if this ends up killing you! You're gonna be dead, and your parents won't know why! They should have been the first people to know! Let me fix that...”

“Son of a...” She waited for the right moment to strike, to furious to even think.

“Mei,” he gestured over to Marinette's mom. “You might want to tell Henri when he wakes up. I'd like to introduce you. Meet miss Marinette Dupin-Cheng.” He pointed the sledgehammer right at Marinette. “The Miraculous Ladybug!”

That was the moment. Ladybug lunged at the Bandit and hit him squarely in the gut. Causing him to drop the sledgehammer.

The Bandit coughed and a few gold coins fell out of his mouth. “Well,” he said popping off his fake arm. “That struck a nerve.” He threw the plastic arm in the burning wreckage and pulled on the metal pole attached to his shoulder. The reels in his chest spun and landed on three images of what appeared to be a knife. His billboard eyes displayed the message “CUTLASS.” His jaw flipped open and he pulled a long sword from his mouth with his remaining hand. “So that's what a pirate sword is called,” he shrugged. “Learn something new every day.” He began to slice at Ladybug.

Ladybug managed to duck and weave several swings while still managing to stay in close proximity to her attacker. Eventually she got close enough to pick up the sledgehammer, and block the next swing. “Mom!” she called, holding back the Bandit as he pushed the sword against the hammer. “Get Dad out of here and wait for the police.”

“Gonna take'em a bit, Sabine!” the Bandit shouted. “They're held up across town!”

“What about you?” Marinette's mother called back.

“I'll be fine!” she lied. “Just go!”

Marinette's mother ran up and collected her father, then moved out of sight.

“Oh good,” the Bandit strained. “We're alone. We can talk.” He kicked Marinette in the gut and sent her flying down the street.

She held her gut, wincing in pain, looking up at the Bandit who towered over her.

“The Man Who Killed Paris,” the Bandit growled. “Some tagline, huh? I made it myself... But then I thought... That was way too small.”

Ladybug swung her leg into the Bandit's ankles, causing him to fall hard to the concrete. She crouched over him, stepping on his wrist, pinning it to the ground. She put one elbow on his throat, and raised the other fist to pound his face into the concrete. “How about 'The Man With the Broken Face?'”

“Really?” the Bandit coughed. “That's the best quip you got?”

“I am going to make you regret ever crawling out of your hole,” Ladybug growled.

“Good god, you're bad at this,” the Bandit wheezed through Ladybug's elbow. “I keep telling you...” Ladybug was struck in the back by the Bandit's knee. It didn't hurt much, but it caused her to lose the pin she had on the Bandit's arm. She had to backflip away from another swipe from the cutlass. “Leave emotion at the door,” he panted as he got up and rubbed his neck.

Marinette tried to think of a plan. She could use the Lucky Charm, but that was a one shot deal. If it failed, she was vulnerable. She also heavily doubted that the bandit would let her find out how the Lucky Charm was meant to be used.

“Listen,” the Bandit raised his hand to stop Ladybug. “I don't want to fight. Not now. I've got big plans in the work, and I want you to share them with me. In eight days, I'm going to put on a little show. You're invited. So is Adrien. The only problem is, I'm missing a prop...

“Like I said,” he grabbed onto the makeshift lever attached to his shoulder. “I can control what I make with my powers to a point. But the one thing I need most in order for me to get what I want? That's three sevens. And for that, I've got to rely on good old Lady Luck.” He pulled down on the rod, and the reels began to spin. “Let's see if I can make this pay out.”

Seven... Seven... Seven.

At that moment, sounds came from nowhere. Bells, beeps, cascading coin. The Bandit's billboard eyes flashed brighter than ever before. The word displayed: JACKPOT.

The Bandit let out a huge grin. “You've got to be kidding,” he said gleefully. “Damn, I'm on a roll.

He lurched forward, as if about to vomit. Then he did it again. And again. Each time making a sickening gag. Ladybug feared what was going to come out of him. She even wondered if he was sick.

With one final heave, a massive lump moved into his throat. His jaw flipped downwards with the familiar KA-CHING. Soon the opening seemed to barely fit a large spherical object. He soon spat it out, and barely caught it with his hand.

The object was the same shape as a soccer ball, but twice the size. It looked like it was made of copper, with each hexagonal segment on its surface glittering like a newly minted Centime. Each of them surrounded by thick black lines that separated the segments.

“Oh my god,” the Bandit said gleefully. “This... has to be my birthday.”

“What?” Marinette slowly rose to her feet. “Mom never let you go out for football as a kid?”

“Oh, attack me while I'm holding this,” the Bandit sneered. “I'm begging you...”

Marinette hesitated.

The Bandit let out another hacking, mechanical laugh. “You don't even know what it is!” he said with a note of mocking disbelief. “This could be a massive gumball for all you know, and you're going to let me walk, because you don't know what this is! One of these days, Ladybug, you're going to have to stop folding and call.

Ladybug couldn't move. She had never felt so useless.

“I'll put your mind, somewhat at ease,” the Bandit said, examining the object. “This ain't no Gumball. Not sure if you can set it off by me dropping it, but I wouldn't risk it. Not going to tell you what it is, I'm going to let you figure it out on your own...”

Ladybug's ears perked up as sirens began to faintly waft over the crackling of the fire and the drumming of the rain.

“That,” the Bandit smiled. “Is my exit cue. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me, by the way with me. It stays between the two of us.

“Actually, looking at you now, I think I might be the only person who does know who you are.”

He cackled like a madman as he leaped off into the city.

The only reason Ladybug didn't follow was because she knew people on her street, and she didn't know where her mother was. Or Adrien. She was ashamed to admit it, but the way she was feeling right now, she couldn't care less about the normal civilians.

The weight of the past few minutes hit her all at once, and she collapsed to her hands and knees onto the rain-soaked street. She couldn't tell how much of what was washing down her face was the rain, and how much was simply her crying. Without thinking, she began to pound the concrete in frustration. Over and over again, not caring if she scratched up her hand in the process.

Before she could inure her hand, someone caught her wrist.

“Get up, Ladybug,” said Cat Noir. “We're not licked yet.”

Her mother was wrapped in a blanket sitting on the tailgate of an ambulance. Marinette decided to talk to her as herself, and not Ladybug. Although the lines between the two of them had gotten muddier over the past few days.

“Your father's going to be fine,” Sabine Cheng started. “A few cuts and bruises. Nothing he shouldn't recover from.” She reached out and held her daughters hand. “Honey, are you okay?”

Marinette couldn't believe it. She just found out her daughter has been lying to her for months, and her first response was “are you okay?” “Yeah..,” Marinette started. “Listen, Mom...”

“Sit down,” Sabine said quietly. “Listen to me, you don't have to explain anything.”

“Yes I do,” Marinette sighed. “This is my fault. If I'd have told you...”

“I would have been a little less confused and just as terrified,” Sabine finished for her. “That's not the reason I'd want to know. The reason I'd want to know is actually something that he brought up. What if something happened to you and I didn't know?”

“I know, I just... I never thought...” Marinette buried her face in her hands.

“Hey, look at me,” Mei took hold of both of her daughters hands. “You, me and your father are going to have to talk about this, but it's okay. Whether I like it or not, this city needs you. So we'll talk when this whole mess with the Bandit is over. In the meantime...” She brought her daughter in for a hug. “Get some sleep, you look exhausted.”

“Wait, what?” Adrien said into his cell phone. “No, Dad, of course I'm not objecting... You just caught me off guard... You'll meet us there? Dad, are you feeling alright? Okay... Yeah, I'll tell them... Love you... too? Bye.” He hung up the phone and looked as confused as a man can get.

“That was your dad?” Marinette asked.

“I don't know,” Adrien said. “It sounded like him, but I think he may have been replaced by an alien pod...”

“What do you mean?” Marinette was looking concerned.

“Mrs. Dupin-Cheng,” he started, with a note of disbelief. “You and your daughter are invited to stay at our house, as our guests until your husband recovers.”

“What?!” Marinette said, shocked. “Adrien, you didn't...”

“No, I didn't,” he said defensively. “This was dad's idea. I called him up, and I wanted him to book you into a hotel, but he insisted on us taking you guys in.”

“Adrien,” Sabine started. “I couldn't...”

“I am to 'brook no argument' to quote my father,” Adrien interrupted. “It's the least I can do for a friend. Please.”

Sabine seemed like she was going to protest again, but eventually gave up and nodded. “Thank you.”

“It's nothing,” Adrien smiled.

Marinette was starting to remember why she liked Adrien. He would have done what he just did for any friend in trouble. She put her hand on his shoulder. “Really, Adrien,” she said softly. “Thank you.”

“Wait, you're staying at Adrien's place?!” Alya asked.

“Just for a little while,” Marinette explained over the phone. “It's closer to the hospital than most of the good hotels. Adrien's dad really helped us out here.”

“Yeah, but you shouldn't-” Alya stopped herself. She was wrong. She had to be wrong. “Okay, just... Take care of yourself. Call me when you get there.”

“No, listen, I need you to meet me there,” Marinette continued. “Ten O'clock tonight. I need to know about this thing the Bandit got from the last spin.”

“Come over? Girl, I can't...”

“Alya, listen, I've got to get off, my phone is nearly dead,” Marinette interrupted. “Ten tonight. I'll see you.”

“Marinette I-” Too late. Marinette had hung up. Alya wanted to strangle her sometimes. She moved her hands under her eyes, and sighed heavily. It was a huge old house. It looked like something out of a horror movie, or 1984. It was huge, gray, and scary looking.

That was the only reason she was filled with a nameless dread when she entered a ten yard radius of the Agrestes mansion.

“You should go.” Alya had completely forgotten Nino was there, or the argument they were having. “For as long as you can.”

“I'm not talking about this,” Alya said immediately.

“It gives you some time to look around,” Nino continued.

“I said, I'm not talking about this,” Alya insisted.

“Just to see if we can catch him out.” Nino persisted.

“God dammit, Nino!” Alya shouted.

“Alya!” Nino shouted back. “You know I'm right! You feel the same way as I do whenever you pass that damn house! It's not the haunted vibe, it's deja vu. Some part of our brain looks at that place like we've lived there for years. You talked about the Akuma leaving something behind, like a... Post-Akuma residue.”

“I was talking about the fact that I am a super hacker now, and you haven't gotten below an A- a chem test since you got hit,” Alya shot back.

“That's not what I meant and you know it,” Nino sighed.

“I really don't think that-”

“Alya!” Nino grabbed her by the shoulders. “He was inside both of our heads, are you telling me that you don't remember that voice?”

Alya fell silent.

“Gabriel Agreste is Hawk Moth,” Nino said. “And we have a chance to prove it.”

Logic: ..... WHAT?! Okay, first off, did I hear NANITES mentioned?!

Me: Yep. He can make self-replicating Nanites. Part of the powerset.

Logic: And that jackpot couldn't have been....

Me: Ah, ah, ah, please don't spoil. The non-mechanically inclined won't recognize what I just described and the others may think I described it badly.

Logic: You either have ZERO idea what you are doing, or you are building to the most Apeshi-

Me: I know what I'm doing.

Logic: Oh, and way to have the bad guy win yet ANOTHER confrontation. You are moving dangerously close to Gary Stu territory.

Me: The next altercation with the One Armed Bandit will be the last. And look at my username, if you're afraid I'm going to bitch you out.

Logic: Way to spoil.

Me: I've still got a few surprises up my sleeve. Oh, and in actual author's note stuff, the next chapter is probably going to be pretty long, and kind of convoluted to write, so it may take a little longer.

Also, if you want to read this on a more professional format, check out Archive Of Our Own.

EDIT: Okay, ummm... I'm an idiot. I forgot that Marinette's parents actually HAVE names. Tom and Sabine, I have tried to rectify my mistakes, but I may have missed some. I am so sorry, and I should have been more careful with my research. I legitimately did not know they had canon names. I am sorry.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1