Species of Equestria 421 members · 593 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12
Toratchi888
Group Admin

We don't yet have a folder for Human or Anthro stories, but the question of transformed characters came up.
For example, a human turned pony--does that count as Human or Pony? Or both?

I'm working case-by-case on all stories anyway, but for transformations, I think it depends on how relevant the transformation is to the plot.

A quick gag, like Twilight giving AJ wings, wouldn't count in my mind; AJ is still fundamentally an Earth Pony.
A thing like Equestria Girls would be Human, unless Twilight spent a lot of time portal-hopping.

I might make Human to Pony, Pony to Human (à la Equestria Girls), and even something like Repetitive Transformations.

Special Note: If the True Species of the main character is a spoiler, PM me and I'll exempt it. (E.g. A Changeling masquerading as a Pegasus, or a Zebra passing as an Earth Pony.)

4187138 that is a good point; using myself, i have an OC who is talented and otherwise skilled in mimicry and transformation magic and uses it to change species and gender as needed to complete their job. So this does interest me.

Toratchi888
Group Admin

4187151 A shapeshifting NON-Changeling. Interesting.
That would make an interesting case study for me to consider.
(I assume your OC is a Unicorn... but surprise me.)

4187165 he was present in a story called "Tailor and her Recurring Customer", but i would reccomend reading this part of its sequel, though.

From here on I think it shows what he is about.

4187165 Is there a shapeshifting cutie mark? Heck, what would a shapeshifting cutie mark look like?

4187824 is that directed to me by chance?

That's really something the author needs to tag the story for, though. I mean, as far as tagging things goes it isn't a group's responsibility to actually tag a story.

*shrug* I dunno. A human folder wouldn't be amiss, but I think right now other is fine.

Haha, oops. This is why I need to drink my coffee before using the internet.:derpytongue2:

4190395 i think you got the wrong guy.

Ideas for shape shifting cutie mark:
Mirror, mask, smiley face, a silhouette with incorrect shadow... And that's all I've got.

4191086 The key with cutiemarks is to show what they represent with the character rather than what they are able to do. Of course we have a few examples like Rainbowdash and the Sonic Rainboom, but often its more leaning towards something about the personality of the pony. For Example, almost every unicorn has done magic at some point in the show, but the degree and complexity of the use varies.

In the way I write magic and Cutiemarks, any unicorn with enough discipline or capacity for magic can do almost any spell, kind of like having an oil tanker vs a yacht see how far they can go. The yacht will go faster but run out of gas long before the Oiltanker.

In the situation of my character, he has trained and become tempered to know which types of disguise and mimicry magics to fit the job and last longer than a novice, but his ability to change form is not his strength. HIs greatest strength actually comes from his ability to improvise, charm, and become characters in order to fool people into believing he is who he is pretending to be. As such, his cutie mark is represented by theatre related motifs, in his case, the Comedy/ Tragedy masks:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12