The Vault of War 62 members · 8 stories
Comments ( 44 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 44
YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

Project 'Concise United Revival Efforts', or C.U.R.E. for short, is the plan presented in the thread about us having heart problems taken to the next stage. I'm taking the bold step forward to suggest the zap we need to reanimate this place. I present to you the battle of the Three Million (name in progress but it's the best I could come up with on short notice). This battle shall take place in unspecified location #1323, later to be named and pinpointed. The armies taking part in this battle will be set by us, and by that I mean those who will contribute to the effort of this collaboration. Your character doesn't have to be your main story's main character, in fact I kind of recommend it not be, but you can be the judge of that. This battle will take place from each writer's character's point of view, each of us submitting our own slice of the story separate parts that we will release at the relative same time. So, let's get cracking and get this place back up on its feet, or hooves, or whatever your species supports itself on.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

Alright, hopefully more people join in, but in the time it takes them to arrive, let's set up shop. Like real estate agents, are first concern is with location, then we'll need the objective of the battle, the participating armies, and a suitable climax, probably having all of the characters we enter for this battle coming together at the last point and fighting it out because during a battle like this, its rather hard to imagine them not coming together since they are moving towards one location.

Suggestion 1#: Battle of The Great Stone Spires.

Location: The Great Stone Spires, a once thriving area for dragons that was taken over by the dwarfs (because I think one member here at least wanted dwarfs, so here's a bone) The location is quite tactical since it is situated on a dormant volcano. It contains a central island surrounded by a boiling lake, Since they're conquest of the location, the dwarfs have constructed a castle on the island and build a secondary entrance by building a covered bridge through the lake out of a special material that has been enchanted to stay cool even when placed in lava.

Combatants: (in the very least) Dwarfs and Dragons (any other race may be entered, most likely humans if we're honest, but I'll let you all say who you think should be in the battle. Also, the species you enter don't actually have to have an author given representation, so if your character is a pony, but you want the kitsune to join in, then do so, the more the merrier.)

Objective: Well... take the Great Stone Spires. Its situation on the corner of the griffon, human, and dragon lands make it quite the catch, and most likely a highly contested place for the rest of the war.

As a side note, can Dark and I not be the only ones doing this? Even if you aren't the best writer, having more than two view points is good.

NiXioX
Group Admin

I very much like this idea; I'm in with y'all.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

Alright, we have dragon and dwarfs, who else is going to fight for the Great Stone Spires? Remember too put in a reason why they are involved, because no army is just going to enter a battle unless they see an opportunity for gain.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

The great Stone Spires, at least in my imagination, are rather hard to get into, since the crater where the lake and island are rises quite a bit into the skies. Also, as a side note I forgot to mention initially, the Stone Spires part of the name comes from the fact that the crater and the volcano itself has several stone spires rising up from it and the terrain around it, mostly due to volcanic eruptions of the past that had magic used to stop them, causing the lava to make gigantic waves that later solidified into spires.
The griffons will most likely show up, but also the dwarfs most likely have some rather effective anti-aerial measure since they took it in the first place. Try something along the line of scorpions that have rounds with a mythril plating on the tips.
As for the dragon army (which I plan to write for, others can also write for them, just saying) they are still in tribal form, but due to the war they have active war parties led by lower ranking chiefs that have the high chiefs trust. Since they are facing a collective threat you'd see an army about the size of the migration flying in a bunch.
In regards to the living conditions in the volcano, most of the gases are trapped under a layer of rock and water, but they do bubble through and heat the lake along with, well, the magma that causes the gases. The level of gases in the crater is livable, but you're effectively shaving a few years off of your life by being down there. Short way of putting it, go there if your military tells you, don't build a summer home there anytime soon. And also it is a rather sizable fort, though it is technically still under construction, it is mostly finished and is easily defensible, since most of what they are doing currently is building common rooms.
Human actually would be a threat since... well, beside Minotaurs (who wouldn't rape by the way since it is quite the antithesis of honorable) are one of the most militaristic societies, quite literally making it an art form (look at me explaining this to a native, I feel weird). Humans would be a force to deal with since they have a bit of magic on their side, so yeah, not just snacks... basically jalapeno poppers that fight back before you eat them.
And yes brigands, looking for profit and spoils because profit and spoils, great stuff.

Let's keep this going!

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

Well, yes, now that you mention it, the geology of the region who be a bit of a bother for the dragons if they scale the mountain side on the ground, which would probably be part of the two fold battle strategy of the dragons since they do also have wings, so one force would be flying in while the ground forces are taking out scorpions and other dwarven encampments along the volcano's slope. Human might take advantage of the dragons attacking the dwarfs and loot the spoils of war while getting ready to fight the dragons back for the fortress while the dwarfs are still there, since it would be better to make the dwarfs allies for a little while and then betray them, taking the fort for themselves than to face the dragons alone while minotaurs, if even there, would probably be trying to kill everyone with out a care. The griffons, if it happened that separate companies face each other, they'd fight each other, since this is their job and if they lose... well... no money.

P.S. Jalapeno poppers are sliced jalapenos battered and fried, usually with an ooy-gooy cheesy layer in the mix.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

We have dwarfs and dragons. Who else will be in this thing, and who is going to cover them?

3983092 Whoa, totally missed this whooole conversation. Oh man, I don't know give me a day or two to think?

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

We are coordinating a team effort, this will take a bit at any rate.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

Do we have any new entries for combatants. I think we might want to start soon enough if we can.

I was thinking about writing for the griffins. Like a group of mercenaries working for the dragons

Or I can stick with what I got going for the humans. Whatever works best mostly

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

What ever you want mate.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

Do we have the contestants set? I'd suggest starting this up coming Monday before the idea goes stale and we all lose interest and let the group slip back into its previous comatose state.

You know, you guys haven't actually discussed something that might be considered vital to making this work: Communication, but more specifically, a method of communication that is both fast, easily accessible, and something most everyone here either has or can get. Now for a word from our sponsor.

Hello everyone, Ivan Flemming here to tell everyone in the Vault of War to use Skype for this project. 'Cause really, why not? It's fast, it's easy, and it's free, unless you want to get those add on thing-a-ma-jiggers, which are frankly unneeded, so get Skype, because it makes doing those large colab projects that much easier and with a bit more collaboration than otherwise possible. This has been a Public Service Announcement.

-Your Welcome

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

Surprisingly, I agree with this. I think we should get a Skype group together so that our members can be in closer communication so that more ideas can flow without having to wait for FiMFiction to reload. All in all, I think we should not only get a Skype group for this project, but just for the sake of keeping this group from descending into inactivity once again. What do you guys think?

4006804 You do realize you don't have to mark it has a reply to everyone? Especially since they aren't the ones being talked to.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

Force of habit plus the fact I want them to be advised of an update happening.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

Really? Where are you? I know this might be a bit ignorant of me, even though timezone effects me as well being as I'm at least an hour ahead of the majority of Americans for most of the year.
Don't feel pressured to actually tell me.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

Around 8, yeah. Well, this means we'd have nearly 24 hour schedule with members being online.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

Fortunately all I have to worry about killing my night is the sound of a crazy person driving nearly sixty miles an hour on a fifteen mile per hour road, that and typical midnight parties, political trucks blaring their nonsense, and the occasional baseball game and the end of the street. Fortunately, I have an AC unit like a foot from my head that makes more noise than those, so it kind of equals out.

I'm game for a skype group. I'm Andrew.Talo

Also>>4006818, are you planning on contributing as well? If so great!

4006884 Initially, I'd say no, but I might just. Be prepared for horrid writing.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

Understood

trust michael, you know what I mean

4006913 I might have missed something, so I'm not sure what I'm trying to grasp

4006934 He's doubtlessly referring to the fact he send a contact request to you on Skype. And so I spill the beans that his Skype is michaelandikealcandy.

4009497 Got it. I had an idea that it was somehow skype related but how was I supposed to figure that out?

4009509 Quill always had weird ideas of privacy... and secrecy that was so secret that barely anyone knows what he means.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

You might just count yourself lucky you have a certain license to rib me...

4009530 I revel in my new found power, believe you me.

4010361 Yeah, we're just trying to get everyone on the skype now.

4013102 I'm already all up in it, I added you too

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 44