The Vault of War 62 members · 8 stories
Comments ( 31 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 31
NiXioX
Group Admin

Hey guys, a general discussion for y'all to ponder for a few moments.

As you all already know, The Vault of War is built primarily upon what you, the esteemed members, want it to be. Anything you want to happen in this warfare filled universe can and, quite possibly, will take place, provided it adheres to the all mighty background on the front page.

Burn cities to the ground? No problem.

Have the world dominated by dragons? Sure, why not?

Simply watch as your most hated characters are sadisticly tortured and murdered? If you swing that way; just please, mind the children.

The point is that you can have almost any scenario play out. You have the power to shape it however you may like it to be. Now the question is put forth:

What do all of you have in mind?

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

A nice touch to the world would be where are the nations situated on the map. Because if humans sail east to get to Equestria but it is actually to the west their going to be having a long trip and might end up, and most definitely will, in the wrong place.
Also while I was writing I came upon something. We have no names for the human or dragon nations. So, I came up with a name for the human nation and I would like to know what you think. The United Human Republics. I know there is probably a better name out there, but America wasn't it, so what do you think?

3350335 I don't know. I've always felt like if humanity was in My Little Pony, it would be reminiscent of ancient Greece. Ya know with all of the Greek mythology that's swung around in the show. I'm kind of using Atlantis as my base for human operations, and will probably use other similar names as the other human city-states.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

3351474 :applejackunsure: Hmm... well for the most part the only reason I was doing the united republics things was to get a diversity of cultures and government systems. I wrote the minotaurs as a group of Norse when the only one we've seen in cannon was... I don't know... something besides Norse. And on the point of the Greek Mythology in the show making humans Greek-ish, Since in that world the 'Mythology' becomes reality you can't really say that since there are creatures from Greek mythology that makes humans Greeks. Its sort of like saying that someone in the real world with a penguin must be an Eskimo. But hey, they can still be Greek, though I prefer European culture (mostly because of the knights in shining armor and castle and junk.).

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

Alright, I've got an idea fr the locations of some of the places in relation to each other.

Equestria is front and center (point of reference that we can branch out on), Minotaurs are northeast, Humans are to the south east, dragons are in the north, griffins are to the northwest, Zebras are to the far east (is there a pun in there?), changelings are on the same continent as ponies but to the far south, Buffaloes are in the... near south, kitsunes are... west? (this world is getting cluttered really fast), and I think that's all of them. So what do you think? :pinkiehappy:

NiXioX
Group Admin

3351474 I can definitely see where you're coming from. The show does give the impression that humans could be Greek due to the mythology that's been shown in the show. Due to this, I eagerly await to see your story. It will be quite interesting to see how you bring it all together.

3352051 I also can see where you're coming from. Not everything that is determines what other things are. I like the way you've set up the different cultures so far in your story, it's good diversity.

The locations of the different countries sound to be very solid. It's okay to encompass more area however. The good thing about creating from scratch is that you can do almost whatever you want. That being said, you can make the land to take up half the world to help fit every species in there if need be. I like your thinking on wanting to provide locations, thank you.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin
YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

3351474 I started reading your story, yes just today... procrastination and all that, and I believe both your humans and mine can be together, it is after all the UNITED Human Republics. Of course 'Republics' can always be changed to something else if need be, but maybe different people groups of the humans could be altogether and retain their individual aspects because of pride of their own way, but do not shun others because of respect to their union.
All in all, my European humans could be just another part of the same union that the Greek humans in yours are in. And as for Atlantis, it can still be the base of the human political world, because if I remember my stuff on Atlantis it was a vast trade center, which would make it a rather large seat of power, thus making it already well defended, thus a no brainier for a capital of a vast union of any nation.
Besides, both of our stories are still only just beginning for the most part, some small editions, if deemed necessary, can be done easily to make it fit a bit more. I mean I got this weird vibe from somewhere that all the stories that take place in the singular timeline should be interconnected. :rainbowhuh: I wonder where it came from...

:ajbemused: Alright, I'll be honest with you. I kind of want to see War Hammer and Marcus duke it out.:twilightblush: Although we still haven't gotten Marcus into battle quite yet, and I'm just going to guess right now that this would in all cases have begun before my story so Marcus would be a bit more seasoned in battle than Hammer if and when the time came that they met. The reason for that is because in my story humans attacked ponies... which could be spruced up a bit in any case.

3358134 Yeah man, lets spitball a little on how we can work it together.
I've kinda got my Greek island nations next to the griffins, where are your European ones? I could probably help with them as well, I took European history and I've got a pretty good idea of how to work them.

Yeah, my story is before the actual war starts and I also have a good headcannon on how i'm going to start it from my story. Marcus should get more badass as he grows his magic and learns how to fight but that's at least a couple chapters ahead still. Before I can maneuver into attacking ponies I have to first spark the Homo-Draco conflict

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

3358224 The Europeans are supposedly southeast, but lands can migrate a bit if necessary. I guessed that griffins could be northwest while dragons are dead north. So I'm guessing that with those locations a solid political bond would be hard to maintain...:ajbemused: Meh, as I said, locations can be rearranged until we feel that they're good enough to peg down. A physical map would also help, but we would need to have a basic idea where things are before anyone could start drawing it, unless, that is, if they were Picasso, then we could just say a hundred different things and poof, done. :rainbowlaugh:

3358825 True true, it would be helpful to have some sort of map

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

3358831 As soon as we get some ideas I could provide a rather basic sketch... or we could just ask, oh I don't know, Silverstein who already offered services... :ajbemused: any who. You want to start trying to cobble something together that makes sense in some way shape or form?

3358836 Yeah sure. And a little less sass would be pretty swell too, please

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

3359981 sass? :applejackunsure: Um... sorry:twilightsheepish:? Nothing I said was intentionally supposed to have sass... I'm just going to go with you can't read a persons tone in text. Or maybe it's just my definition of sass is different than most... any who. Err... well we could always work off of the stuff I suggested at first and improve upon it. So how about you put your input on how to change it, obviously the humans or griffon or dragons are going to be moved to make it work with at least for your story, but besides that what else do you think should be changed?

3361209 S'alright, text is pretty hard to convey tone. Which parts need changing? Just locations of races or other broader story ideas?

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

3361230 The geographic location need tweaking. I'll bring it down here for easier finding.

Equestria is front and center (point of reference that we can branch out on), Minotaurs are northeast, Humans are to the south east, dragons are in the north, griffins are to the northwest, Zebras are to the far east , changelings are on the same continent as ponies but to the far south, Buffaloes are in the... near south, kitsunes are... west?

Obviously because your humans are neighbors to the griffons something needs tweaking, any ideas?

3361241 I guess lets start on landmass size. We know Equestria's size thanks to the canon map and it says that griffins are to the east and dragons to the south east, more or less. I figured that humans would be in between, mine on islands, yours probably on some kind of connected landmass near them possibly on the same continent as the griffins. Maybe the Zebra's and Minotaur's share a continent as well and I agree that the Dragons should live in the north and Migrate? south for breeding or something.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

3361259 I always envisioned the minotaurs living on an archipelago that had several large islands with a lot of smaller islands that could be owned by family communities (groups made of one family for clarification) , more or less simulating how the Norse where spread out over several larger islands. The Minotaur's Archipelago could be off the coast of the Zebra continent, though they would be more to the northern side because... Norse and cold are like cookies and milk. They might be alright separated, but they are better when together. The dragons migrating would also make sense because of cannon, so yeah.

3361266 Yeah archipelago's sound good. God knows that Earth has tons of them

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

3361282 Any other ideas?

3361289 How about cultures? We've got Norse Minotaurs, Greek and European Humans (any specifications of which country of Europe? It seemed like yours were fairly English), African Zebra's, Native American Buffalo, Japanese Kitsunes, and Dragons and Changlings more or less the same culture as the Ponies. Can you think of any more developments on them or something else significant?

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

3361299 The European humans are more of the western sector of Germans, English... maybe even Spanish and Franks later on. Hmm... Conquistadors fighting shoulder to shoulder with Spartans and Knights... interesting. I would think of Changelings as under a dictatorship, being as Chrysalis seems to be less of a monarch and more of a dictator to me. Dragons could actually have more of a tribal government with might makes right, as in if you don't like the current leader than fight him and win to become the new leader and have your way.
Also we do have the New Minotaurian Republic which is an attempt of the Minotaurs to become more like the humans in government. Griffons would be a monarchy straight up, as in the king is the only authority without anyone or thing to answer to. Griffon also have a weird military comprised of several separate entities of independent mercenary groups that the king hires when he needs an army.

3361335 Yeah, I like these governments. They make a lot of sense. I like the Dragons tribal system the best. Thanks for the clarification on your humans, That'll definitely help when I work them into my story.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

3361363 Alright, so we got the basic geographic location and ideas for the different governments... anything else we need to clear up or are we good enough for now? Oh what am I saying, we're never good in this type of thing.

3361472 How about what brings in each race into the war?

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

3361532 Yes, that would be good to know... I'll leave humans and dragons to you because that seems to be where you are headed. My story says the zebras got drawn in because humans attacked ponies... the human and pony conflict should be touched on, we can bounce ideas around later. The Kingdom of Taurus joined because they wanted spoils of war and recognition from the other nations while the New Minotaurian Republic has been at war with Taurus for a few years before the war between the nations (Taurus' doing). Griffon, because of how we said their military works, are drawn in because other nations are employing the mercenaries, so they might not be fighting for themselves but only for other nations, though the king could have bought a few mercenary groups for his own advancement. Kitsune... I don't really know too much about them so I can't really even guess. Changelings are drawn in because their leader realizes they need more territory... open for debate. Buffalo see their chance to regain territory from Equestria and so begin their war. Humans are drawn into a conflict with Taurus when minotaurs destroy a human fleet with only a few survivors able to escape and bring the news to the main land. And to make things more convoluted we could throw in some secretive treaties which cause a spiderweb of war and chaos where in the end allies either have to betray their one treaty or the other.

3361603 Yes that all sounds good. As soon as we get farther we can work out secrets and stuff, but lets develop our stories first. What we really need is for other authors to make stories for the other creatures. More minds, better worlds that sort of thing

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

3361654 Aye, to the text document, away!

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

3396549 I think kitsunes should be the thing because we kind of need more diversity. Though we could always put the kirin in as well, but I think kitsunes are a rather solidified entry... even though no one has written on them yet.
We should also add Sugaars, preferably the ones that have a serpent's body and the torso of a man and can fly... and disguise themselves as crescent moons. Seriously, that would provide some excellent sneak attacks... that is until people figure out that they can do that... but still. (not really though :moustache: )

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

3396618 Having male kitsunes is kind of a given... at least I would think so. Then again they may be the type of creature without a gender that just appears to have one... I think there's a fish like that or something. Also the Sugaars came from an 'exhaustive' concordance of mythical creatures. Basically containing every stinking creature of myth that ever was, even the one that have names so hard to pronounce you might as well have left them forgotten. The book is thick enough that I might just be able to use it for tinder for all four days I'm going camping, and then some.

YoungQuillMaster
Group Admin

3396618 Here's the exact entry from my exhausting concordance.

In Basque folklore, Sugaar is the flying- but wingless - dragon who lives in underground caverns. It travels through the sky in the shape of a half-moon of fire.

Well, so much for sneak attacks then...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 31