Suicide prevention group 94 members · 24 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
elue1234
Group Admin

I know what attempting suicide can do to a person. I've personally tried 4 times. (I know people who've tried it way more than that.) But the thing I want to focus on is: What happens if talking doesn't help someone with their thoughts?
Talking doesn't always work with me, sometimes I just need to cry on someone. (and no, I do not want to cry on any of you. Sorry.) But honestly, what happens if talking doesn't help? That's what I want to know.

pvtread
Group Admin

Different people have different solutions to problems. I for one started to lash out at people as my way of dealing with stuff. I also turned to drugs to cope; that was all before becomeing a brony that is. Now I listen to Great to be different, and Long way from Equestria; as well as turning to the instramental side of the fandom. MLP has given me so much to live for in terms of actual friends; not just people who are in to drugs as I once was. Other people turn to wrighting stories, and releaseing their emotions in other creative means. What works for one person is`nt going to work for the next; just as cultures are diverse, so too are people. If you find that talking is`nt your answer; try other means until you find what works for you. Also; try to expand upon it so it continues to work. Being complacent in your methods can often render them obsoliete in time; so always look for ways to improve upon your solutions to avoid them being useless when you need them most.

Arcticbrony
Group Admin

Sorry I saw this so late.
Havent really had anyone to talk to that much after I tried, and to be honest the thoughts never really went away, they are still as strong as they were. I just have a reason I cant die now, an thats not likely to go away. So I think its different for each person

pvtread
Group Admin

The thoughts never really go away; but if you find something to keep you going, that in its own way is a way of dealing with it.

Mossy Mare
Group Admin

Physical affection is very powerful. There are studies out there that say as much as 90% of communication is nonverbal. If having someone to cry on helps you, it's probably because there's a lot of talking under the surface that words would just muddle up. Like, on your end, you're saying, "I trust you enough to let you know I'm hurting," and they're saying back, "Thanks for trusting me, I'll try to be trustworthy for you. I care about you." Words aren't always so good at getting that across.

Ultimately, your thoughts are your own, and no one can change your mind but you. If you're constantly thinking about suicide, talking about it to someone else isn't going to help. It's just venting what you're already doing. Instead, you need to try and find a way to change your thinking, which isn't always easy. Back when I was cutting, I read somewhere that you should draw a butterfly on your wrist if you feel that way. You can still cut, but if you do, you kill the butterfly. So then, every time I thought about cutting myself, I also thought about how it would be killing a butterfly, even if it was just a silly one drawn on my arm. It worked. I stopped cutting, and never even needed to draw an actual butterfly.

That worked for me. If you want, you can try to make an association the way I did. The most common one is to think about who you would hurt if you died. For me, the first line of defense is, "If I died, no one would feed my cat," and, "If I died, no one would care for my plants." If I need to, I extend that out to friends, relatives, the charities I support- anyone who would be affected negatively by my death. I remember this Nostalgia Critic video about Justin Carmical, and at the end he said this:

"You're not stupid. Ok? You're not stupid. Don't ever tell yourself that you are. You're important. What you have in your head may not mean a lot to a lot of people, but it's what makes you special. You are important. You mean something. And you're going to go out there, and you're going to do some wonderful things. But first and foremost, you're not stupid. You're not an idiot. Don't ever tell yourself that you are. And if nobody else ever tells you this, I will tell you this: I care about you."

He committed suicide, and that clip was at the end of his memorial video. I can't stop thinking though, about all of the people he cared about. All of the people who saw that video, and that was the only time someone had said they cared about them. I wished he could have gone on living, gone on caring for others that way. Because the ones that only he cared about now have no one who cares, and that is a bad thing.

Keep being the one who cares, ok? If talking doesn't help you, that's well within the range of normal. It just gives you a broader, more interesting range of things to help you.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5