Conservative Bronies 68 members · 29 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

So I keep seeing this guy get shared around on facebook. But the problem is... He's dishonest. Here he is talking about Ben Shapiro:
https://www.facebook.com/francismmaxwell/videos/1052440191524961/
Sorry for the facebook link because I literally can't find this video anywhere else but his Facebook page. Probably because it's cut out of a longer video from The Young Turks.

Let's see what he is claiming Ben is doing. He say's he's "lying behind the truth". The problem is... His response commits the SAME FREAKING FALLACY! Let's see his exact wording:
"OF COURSE MORE WHITE PEOPLE ARE KILLED BY POLICE. WHITE PEOPLE MAKE UP MORE THAN 75% OF THE US POPULATION"
The rest of the video he tries to make the argument that when accounting for population, blacks are killed more. This is true. This is also lying behind the truth. Think about it. Should police shooting rates correlate with population? If you said yes, then you bought into the same sort of tactic that people like Francis try to use to get you to join a movement.

It works like this; claim an injustice, show a statistic that has very little relation, but seems to support the claim that said injustice is happening, then make a claim in support of ending said injustice that would make anyone who disagrees with you sound like they support the injustice, whether or not it is happening. Think about it. What is the job of a police officer? To fight crime. So why does he bring population statistics up in the video instead of crime statistics? Because he's intentionally misleading.

Now the rebuttal... POLICE SHOOTINGS BY DEMOGRAPHICS SHOULD NOT CORRELATE WITH POPULATION YOU IDIOT! THEY SHOULD CORRELATE WITH CRIME STATISTICS DEMOGRAPHICS! Blacks are responsible for over 50% of violent crime, despite making up 13% of the population. When you add in the fact that most police shootings are in response to a crime since that's pretty much why police show up at a location in the first place. Suddenly the idea that police shootings should cleanly correlate with population demographics sounds ridiculous. So I have to wonder, does Francis believe police should have shooting quotas? Probably not. So why does he bring up population statistics? Because he's "lying behind the truth". Sorry but I have to give the point to Ben Shapiro here. You can't accuse someone of the very same fallacious reasoning you use to support your accusation.

Oh, and one last petty complaint. Whites make up 73% of the US population. 73% is not more than 75%. So not only is this guy lying behind the truth, he's outright lying as well. Either that or he's poorly informed, in which case he shouldn't have his job.

I agree that police in America tend to use disproportionate force more often compared to other countries and I think something needs to be done about that. I'd also be willing to support a group that has a solution. But don't lie to people to get people on your side. Doing so just perpetuates a post-truth cycle of misinformation based activism where both sides lie and people flock to whichever side is lying in a way they like to hear more.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1