Film Lovers 38 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
moviemaster8510
Group Admin

August: Osage County was just brilliant, both in terms of writing and acting, Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts especially giving stunning award-worthy performances. While I wouldn't agree with calling it a comedy like the Golden Globes apparently have, it perfectly combines the dark and misanthropic elements and some of the lighter, funnier moments of the film in a very Kubrickian fashion, also coupled with great cinematography. The best part is that you don't necessarily leave the film depressed; many of the characters are very unlikable, but they receive their comeuppance at the end and it all turns out alright. Highly recommend it.

Inside Llewyn Davis was another exemplary film, mainly for its main character and how relatable he was, despite being an extremely flawed character. Llewyn Davis (a magnificent Oscar Isaac) is very nearsighted and sincere to a fault where it really gets him in trouble with many of the characters, as many of us do from time to time. This, coupled with the misfortunes that befall Llewyn, make this film both a cautionary tale and a very harsh reflection of ourselves. In classic Coen fashion, there is plenty of dark, very biting humor to the film, mainly delivered through the scolding insults of his ex-girlfriend Jean (a fantastic Carey Mulligan) and the equally sincere musings of Roland Turner (an equally great John Goodman). It's not so much the characters that we're roped in by, but it's the journey they go on and how closely it resembles each and every one of ours. A must see for any artist of any craft.

2576864 i'll have to see if I can get some torrrents of them

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2