Film Lovers 38 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Herrpface
Group Admin

My Cousin Vinny is a courtroom comedy film that was released in 1992, interestingly regarded as one of the most accurate portrayals of courtroom procedure in film.

The film takes place in the depths of Alabama, beginning with two teenagers from New York City (played by Ralph Macchio and Mitchell Whitfield) accidentally shoplifting a convenience store during their road trip. But when they're apprehended by police, they're slow to find out that the clerk of the store had been shot to death shortly after their visit, and their presence on the crime scene (along with them inadvertently confessing) makes them the prime suspect, placing them on death row.

With little to no hope of escaping arrest, Macchio calls his titular cousin Vinny (played by Joe Pesci) for their lawyer, whose fiance tags along for the trip. He gladly takes the job, but the two boys are terrified to realize that he barely got out of law school alive, has never practiced in trial, and has absolutely no idea how courtroom procedure works.

...and Joe Pesci's performance is easily what makes the movie work best. Even for all the crap he digs himself and the two boys into, we have no trouble believing that along with his foul-mouthed and reckless attitude that he's actually smart and helpful. Incredibly smart, including his girlfriend played by Marisa Tomei. The chemistry that the two of them share is very enjoyable in how for all the times everything tests their sanity and even endangers their relationship, they still manage to remain very supportive of each other throughout the film and

What's also fantastic about the film is the writing, with a very tightly-woven script. The way they set everything in motion is absolutely brilliant, and as said before the film maintains a very smart, well researched script while maintaining some great comedy and giving great dialogue (ironically far from what the poster's tagline claim's.) The climax itself is easily one of the highlights of the story, being funny and gratifying in how everything slowly fits into place and serves as one of the best make-up scenes I'd ever seen.

Overall, for all the potty-mouth humor you'd probably expect on the tin, My Cousin Vinny is also a very smart and enjoyable film. It's funny, well written, has fantastic characters, memorable lines, and even a fascinating courtroom procedural.

From me, My Cousin Vinny earns 8.5 Raritys.

:raritystarry: - :raritystarry: - :raritystarry: - :raritystarry: - :raritystarry: - :raritystarry: - :raritystarry: - :raritystarry: - :duck: - :raritydespair:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1