• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
Rainbow Dash and the Ancient Tower

Climbing the tower was no easy feat. As if the constant roar of swirling waves beneath and around her wasn't enough, Rainbow had to pause every half-minute and cling tight to the pillar she was climbing, for fear of being thrown off by the deep bass vibrations of the structure's persistent salvos. The pegasus clenched her teeth, fearful that the bolts of ruby electricity surging outward in all directions would somehow find her body and fry her to a crisp. The higher she climbed, the more she dreaded this eventuality. As far as the mare could tell, the beams of energy issued from the center frame of the tower's summit, which meant that she would inevitably cross the stream and expose her body to the deathly discharge.

The alternative wasn't any better, however. Rainbow had seen what the crashing waves had done to her raft. She wouldn't last ten seconds swimming in those waters—even if they weren't subject to the whims of a deathly whirlpool. For all intents and purposes, Rainbow was stuck on the tower in the middle of nowhere.

But she wasn't alone. Yaerfaerda lingered, shimmering right above, beckoning.

Rainbow Dash continued climbing. Her ears folded back in time to withstand the excruciatingly loud bass noise. Around ten minutes in, she reached the base of the tower's upper body. She saw chains, pulleys, and levers dangling in the wet mist. A fine condensation coated the metal, making it difficult to grip the notches of the pillar without slipping.

It was here—upon the lip of the tower's curved edge—that Rainbow hesitated, for she wasn't sure exactly where the electrical charges were coming from. Then, as if to answer her question, several beams of ruby light fired outward, dragging scarlet branches through the swirling clouds above. Through several well-timed blinks, Rainbow carefully studied the phenomenon. It was then that she discovered a pattern: all parts of the tower's metal surface spat out lightning, save for a few key spots spaced equidistant from one another. One such spot was above Rainbow and slightly to the left.

Gritting her teeth, Rainbow reached up past the spot where the pillar met the head of the tower. She found the open teeth of a dormant cog. Grunting—straining through stiff muscles—she managed to get a hoof-hold. She then shuffled sideways, very slowly, inching her way towards the closest spot along the tower's circumference where the lightning didn't touch. Every thirty seconds or so, she had to pause, for the phenomenon blinded her and made it difficult to judge where she was going. Rainbow ultimately resorted to closing her eyes in time with the flickering discharge. This way, she was better able to gauge the lengths of the structure ahead of her.

As her eyes narrowed and her sight improved, Rainbow sensed a recess—a cavity. There was an opening in the face of the Tower, pointing out across the oceanic expanse. What's more, something shimmered from within: a lavender light. Rainbow tilted her head as she dangled, and she realized that Yaerfaerda was positioned at an angle to her, lingering only slightly ahead.

It was inside the tower.

Thunder rolled, and as the noise crackled off into the distance, Rainbow could have sworn she heard a lingering breath amidst the rumbling—a voice that wasn't hers. It produced three syllables, raising the hairs on the back of her neck.

She looked behind her, gasping. All her twitching eyes saw was more and more ocean. Lightning issued outward in all directions, slicing the clouds in ruby streams, then fading.

Clenching her teeth, Rainbow looked straight up, and climbed with explosive fervor. The final stretch was very painful. Her weary muscles were stretched to the breaking point, and she was certain that—hadn't her destination been a few feet above her—she might ultimately have lost her grip and plunged deep into the churning waves below.

At last, her hooves clasped onto a deep ledge. She felt a smooth, polished surface—almost cold to the touch. The mare almost slipped from the beads of moisture clinging to the metal, but she was finally able to pull herself up and onto the platform. As soon as gravity was on her side, she rolled over, collapsing onto her back.

There, she lingered, her tail and left hind leg dangling in the salty air. She stared up at a golden ceiling that hung remarkably low. Her weary eyes studied the framed entrance above her, judging that it was barely seven feet by seven feet in dimension. She felt a current of moist air being funneled through the enclosure, which was how Rainbow figured that the Tower itself was hollow. As she laid there, collecting her breath, she saw lavender light reflecting off every golden surface, forming a bright sheen across the inner walls of the structure.

After several minutes, Rainbow was done lingering. Her joints cracked as she rolled over, quivered, but eventually stood up. Without meaning to, she faced out the entrance, gazing at leagues upon leagues of rolling, churning waves. It was a sheer miracle that the raft had carried her sleeping body so safely to the crest of the whirlpool. After another wave of lightning shot out—this time issuing away from her perspective—she realized that every square inch of the ocean within eyesight was part of the same whirlpool; every cloud part of the same cyclone. For all she knew, this was the heart of the Grand Choke, the reason for all magic being reduced to madness.

There was no telling how old this Tower was. Perhaps it was older than Val Roa and Rohbredden, older than legend. Quite likely, it was as old as Urohringr itself. The pegasus could only guess how long that structure had been lingering there, a ghostly bastion in desolate waters, stirring the elements to a continuous boil.

“… … … … … … … … Rainbow Dash?”

She gasped, spinning around. Her eyes squinted.

A golden corridor led straight forward into blinding lavender light, and at the center of the flickering aura was Yaerfaerda. The curved lines shimmered, fluctuating, like arms beckoning for an embrace. The six spheres approached her and receded away at the same time.

Rainbow stood in place, shivering. Her ears tickled from a trailing whisper. She glanced left and right, almost certain another body was casting shadows besides her own. Then, taking a deep breath, she shuffled forward, one wobbling step after another, approaching the beacon that had haunted her for months and months on end. Her pendant glistened, reflecting everything with the same immaculate shine as the ancient metal surrounding her.

As she trotted forward, the air current grew gentler... yet cooler. The salty smell faded, replaced by a charming fragrance that soothed her dry nostrils and chapped lips. In fact, Rainbow felt incredibly soothed all over, as if she had just trotted out of a luxurious bath. She was so overwhelmed by this calmness that she barely took notice of how quiet everything had gotten. The roar of the waves dwindled, and the thunderous salvos from the electrified tower faded into sleepy obscurity.

Rainbow blinked calmly. Her hooves took on quiet echoes as they shuffled over polished marble tiles. Soon, she was brushing past milky white curtains that fluttered in a gentle breeze. At last, after passing a series of granite pillars, she stood upon the balcony's edge, gazing out at a moon-lit countryside looming far below. A hazy sheet of rolling plains and quiet trees stirred under sleepy night. The stars formed a glittering spectacle of violet hues above, and the many platforms of a towering city below mimicked the cosmos with hundreds upon hundreds of distant torches and dimly-lit candles.

The mare's lips pursed. Her nose tickled from the scent of flowers and fragrant bathwash. Rainbow's hooves traced the edges of a silk robe, and she felt her mane dangling in a delicate braid.

“What...?”

She stared east, her eyes tracing the peaks of many mountains beyond the edge of the wide emerald valley. Columns of steam and smoke blotted out a swath of constellations, denoting industry.

“...the hay?”

Rainbow Dash instantly shivered. Her twitching vision traced the horizon again in search of Yaerfaerda, but she could no longer locate it. With a nervous jolt, her hooves shot up to her neck. Her pendant was still there, and for the first time in as long as she could remember, that brought her relief.

“And have you found peace, yet, oh blessed child?”

Rainbow gasped.

She spun around.

The first thing she saw was a pair of eyes—piercing aqua blue, like pearls. Then a regal smile framed an alabaster face as the figure trotted gracefully towards her, wings spread in the aura of a majestically glowing horn.

“You are neither here nor there, Austraeoh,” spoke the alicorn, perching next to her on the balcony. “But, it doesn't truly matter to you anymore, does it?” She smiled with boundless pride.

Rainbow Dash's muzzle hung open, quivering. “Whitemane...?” she mewled.

PreviousChapters Next